Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hawkey has been looking good at the NCAA level but was traded away for a fifth-round pick. Either our scouts have more confidence in Primeau or else they just don't think we need that many goalie prospects.

Fucale seemed (and still seems) to be stuck at the ECHL level so I understand why they let him go.

Despite how well we have been playing we are still bouncing in and out of wildcard position. We are not going to contend with the big boys. I really  like what is happening in Laval. I wouldn't give too many assets away to contend this year.  We need  a closer up front as well as what has been previously mentioned. I would stay on the path we are on. 

Might not have to go the draft route.  There might be a couple of undrafted free agents from the NCAA this year too to help add to the goaltending prospect pool.  Cale Morris of Notre Dame was pretty impressive last year.  His numbers this year aren't as stellar, but they're still good.  I'm sure there are other options as well from the NCAA or other leagues.

23 minutes ago, John B said:

Might not have to go the draft route.  There might be a couple of undrafted free agents from the NCAA this year too to help add to the goaltending prospect pool.  Cale Morris of Notre Dame was pretty impressive last year.  His numbers this year aren't as stellar, but they're still good.  I'm sure there are other options as well from the NCAA or other leagues.

Yes, NCAA has plenty of undrafted goalies. Five of the top six (by save percentage) are unsigned. What are the rules for signing up an undrafted NCAA player? Are there waivers involved here, too?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, NCAA has plenty of undrafted goalies. Five of the top six (by save percentage) are unsigned. What are the rules for signing up an undrafted NCAA player? Are there waivers involved here, too?

Nope - they're not signing from a European pro league.  However, those players must be signed before the trade deadline to be eligible for the playoffs.  Most good college teams are playing well into March and they're not going to leave their schools earlier.  (And to be honest, none would be NHL ready anyway.)  I wouldn't be shocked to see the Habs dip into this market come March/April, especially since they gave Hawkey away, a decision that made no sense then and looks just as bad now.

I agree ... giving Hawkey away for a fifth-round pick really doesn't make sense to me. Our goalie pipeline isn't that strong, he has another year of college hockey anyway -- I would have waited until next summer to see whether he can earn a spot in AHL or ECHL. Oh well. Maybe they know something about Hawkey that I don't.

Watching how happy Petry seemed to be from playing in front on his dad, got me thinking about this trade (if Detroit takes the bite):

To Detroit: Petry and either Evans or Vejdemo

To Montreal: A. Mantha and 2019 2nd round pick

The CH gets a RW to play with Domi and Drouin and an early 2nd to pick a LD

The Wings gets a veteran RD to bridge them over their rebuild, and a prospect bottom-6 center to support their rebuild

=============

Just to complete my thought: Petry is peaking, and he is not a good defensive defender although he is very good at creating offense (hence me calling him "Paul Coffee Lite"):

1) Most Shots Against in team:

JeffPetry_statsSA.png

2) Not very effective in preventing Shots Again from close (visually):

JeffPetry_heathmapSA_.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added stats on Petry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Watching how happy Petry seemed to be from playing in front on his dad, got me thinking about this trade (if Detroit takes the bite):

To Detroit: Petry and either Evans or Vejdemo

To Montreal: A. Mantha and 2019 2nd round pick

The CH gets a RW to play with Domi and Drouin and an early 2nd to pick a LD

The Wings gets a veteran RD to bridge them over their rebuild, and a prospect bottom-6 center to support their rebuild

=============

Just to complete my thought: Petry is peaking, and he is not a good defensive defender although he is very good at creating offense (hence me calling him "Paul Coffee Lite"):

1) Most Shots Against in team:

JeffPetry_statsSA.png

2) Not very effective in preventing Shots Again from close (visually):

JeffPetry_heathmapSA_.png

Two things

1)  Detroit has no reason to make the move.  They are rebuilding.   They are not trading Mantha or draft picks for Petry.  This is not a team to target in trading him.  The only reason Detroit would make such a deal is discussed in #2.

2) That is not near enough value for Petry IMO.   And there is no replacement on the blueline which makes the team significantly worse.  Defencemen are also worth more than wingers.  The only reason Detroit might make this deal is that it is so bad value wise, they could likely pull a San Jose/Hoffman and immediately flip Petry to a third team for a far better package than given up here. 

3) Petry has played the toughest minutes on the team this season, considering he was matched against top lines when Weber was injured, thats not taken into account with your shot charts.   You also don't look at what the Habs are generating with Petry on the ice.  Much like the Drouin argument (and years of Subban arguments), hockey is a two-way game.  If you generate more high danger chances than you give up, you are a valuable player, regardless of how many chances you give up.  Its a ratio between the two.  This is why purely defensive defencemen, who provide no offense are not valuable, they might prevent some shots, but generate nothing, leading to a net loss.  A player who generates more than he gives up is far more valuable. 

4) Looking at Jeff Petry, he has a Corsi of 55.1% and a relative Corsi of +1.8%, despite those tough minutes.  His xGF% is 52.74, showing that more high danger chances are generated for the Habs than against them when he is on the ice, despite again playing tough minutes. His PDO is 96.92 indicating that he's been quite a bit unlucky in his results this season.  The advanced stats show a defenceman who is on the borderline between a #1 and #2 defender for his team in the NHL.  

Thanks Commandant.

It is true that it will not improve the Habs D right the way. And we would double the holes in D

I would do the trade because we need an upgrade to Shaw/Armia on Domi's RW. Someone who is not undersized

Fleury and Brook will be ready in a year or two. I would trade Petry now knowing he is peaking this year 

Now, I'll stop bringing up a Petry  trade every second day; I think I have made my point

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would do the trade because we need an upgrade to Shaw/Armia on Domi's RW. Someone who is not undersized

Too bad Suzuki is undersized, oh well maybe can trade him for a BIGGER kid.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Too bad Suzuki is undersized, oh well maybe can trade him for a BIGGER kid.

I never mentioned Suzuki. I prefer to see him at center first before making him a RW. 

• Like 1

The size issue goes not exist in today's nhl. Shaw, Lehkonen,  and Gallagher are probably montreal's 3 best players at winning puck battles. Gallagher has said he wins those battles because of his size.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The size issue goes not exist in today's nhl. Shaw, Lehkonen,  and Gallagher are probably montreal's 3 best players at winning puck battles. Gallagher has said he wins those battles because of his size.

My comment above is specifically about two players, one big one small, and how we need an upgrade on them. By "not undersized", I meant someone that can add to Domi's line and that will not get pushed off the puck or cleared in front of the crease easily.

:rolleyes: Cheeez Wheeeze :rolleyes:

Edited by alfredoh2009
change of avatar - Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen not panning out

If we want a buy low candidate who could bounce back and is a Right Wing with size (and we'd also be dealing with a GM who is an idiot); I'd see what Jesse Puljujarvi would cost. 

The Oilers might be interested in moving him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

If we want a buy low candidate who could bounce back and is a Right Wing with size (and we'd also be dealing with a GM who is an idiot); I'd see what Jesse Puljujarvi would cost. 

And he certainly meets the Finnish requirement. It would be interesting to see what the cost would be, as he was a high pick  it hasn't performed close to expectation. I wouldnt want to give up too much for him. Edmonton has so many holes that perhaps this could be the "Ryder, Halak and a 2nd" trade that we dreamt of. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

What do you think is wrong with him?  I was really high on him (as were many teams) in his draft year, but he just doesn't seem to be developing all that well.  

18 hours ago, John B said:

What do you think is wrong with him?  I was really high on him (as were many teams) in his draft year, but he just doesn't seem to be developing all that well.  

I have no idea about his development, but part of me wants to say that getting the hell out of Edmonton might be the best thing for any young player. That said, with Hitchcock driving the bus, this may no longer be a truism.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Petry for Gardiner and Toronto's 1st rounder. 

Gardiner is a UFA in July.

Two scenarios here....

1) Gardiner walks.... we now traded Petry for a pick in the 20s... not near enough value.

2) Gardiner signs in Montreal, why didn't we just wait til July 1st?

I'm not sure what this accomplishes. 

Habs aren't in a position to trade Petry. Who replaces his points and minutes? Juulsen ain't there yet, and might never be. Brook is a couple years away. Fleury is probably trending to 3rd pairing. 

He's probably going to be a 50 point defenseman this year. Try to enjoy it. 

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Habs aren't in a position to trade Petry. Who replaces his points and minutes? Juulsen ain't there yet, and might never be. Brook is a couple years away. Fleury is probably trending to 3rd pairing. 

He's probably going to be a 50 point defenseman this year. Try to enjoy it. 

I certainly am.

He is a major reason the Habs might make the playoffs. Only 1 point back from the best team in the whole wide world.