Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

15 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I just find it funny that everyone gives Bergevin a pass. 8 years of the same old shit. Like I said it's not about wining and wining a cup anymore and some how everyone is ok with it. Hey here's to 10 more years of Bergevin and his cap space. Who needs a cup we have 24 of them that's plenty.

Image result for funny pessimist 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The initial moment that led us to have unexpected cap space available was the season that both Radulov and Markov were let go. I will accept that Radulov may have decided to sign elsewhere where taxes have much less of an impact, however I don’t think it would have been unwise to offer $500k or even a million more than he was worth considering three years later we are still “waiting for that opportunity” to use our unused cap space. Radulov is one of the best Russian players to ever play the game, so if signing him is not an opportunity in your mind, then I’m not sure what would constitute as an opportunity.

Furthermore, our record with Markov was impregnable Compared to without him when he was on the team and while he admittedly was on his final legs, we are still looking for his replacement three years later. 

I don’t think there’s a single person out there who would say we should use our cap space on players that make you marginally better, so why would that be your conclusion? We should use our cap space on impact players. Free agents don’t want to sign here? Although that’s an easy excuse, if that’s the case, target teams who need to alleviate their cap issues. Make trades. Last year we ended the season with roughly 9-10 million in unused cap space. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that teams like St. Louis and Washington are roughly 1 million over the cap during their cup winning seasons. Pittsburgh had roughly 1 million available. These are the teams who have won the cup recently. No one is saying that we should spend on mediocrity. Leaving 10 million available and then “saving it” during a season where we miss the playoffs by 2 points does not seem like a correct strategy to me. It’s very hard to raise expectations to a cup aspiration, at the very least. 

I agree with a lot of your points. I definitely thought resigning Radulov was an opportunity. I was tremendously disappointed when he was not resigned as he is a terrific player.  I believe (who really knows) that MB made a sincere effort to resign him but failed.  Whether it was only money that influenced Radulov's decision to leave or something else, who knows.  If it was purely money then competing with Dallas where these is no state income tax is difficult. It's interesting that many crucify MB for net getting Radulov resigned but hardly anyone gives him credit for taking a chance to bring him back to the NHL when almost no other GM was willing to do it.  Obviously management thought Markov was on his last legs and wouldn't give him 2 years. he wouldn't be helping them now that's for sure but you are absolutely right as that's when the unexpected cap space became available.

It's true that teams winning the cup are close to the cap limit or slightly over. What free agent do you think the Habs could have signed over the last couple years to get them to be a cup contender?  Obviously Alzner was a big mistake. 

Cup contender is a high goal but this summer I would have targeted Columbus, which we did with Kinkaid. Ryan Dzingel, Matt Duchene. I know Bergevin was “in” on Duchene. I also somewhat wanted Edler from Vancouver. I didn’t want Gardiner. These moves don’t necessarily make you an instant contender but they send you into the right direction of perhaps being a buyer at the deadline as well.

Two years ago would have been Tavares (obviously we had no chance), James Neal, Paul Stastny, David Perron, JVR. Michal Kempny could have helped our current D core. 

It could easily be argued as it already has been that we don’t know how many of those people Bergevin was in on but regardless, once we know something is off the table, there needs to be a plan B. If none of those options were available, then use the cap space to acquire a player at some point within the season. The options are somewhat endless. 

The problem with trying to make this team a Cup contender in the short term is that their window to do so will be short.  So, they are going to need to find all their puzzle pieces quickly.  There needs to be a willingness to do whatever it takes to acquire those pieces.  If that means trading some good young roster players (Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Fleury) or top prospects (Caufield, Romanov, Poehling, ect.) or high end picks (1st/2nd rounders), than so be it.  If they aren't willing to do that, than I can't support the idea of trying to win in the short term.  I'm tired of the Habs building mediocre teams and relying on luck or parity to win the Cup.  I don't want to see a team that is as good as other teams, I want to see one that is better.  I want to have confidence that the Habs can beat any team in a 7 game series and not be the underdog all the time.

I am fed up, I want to send Petry to Detroit to play in the city his dad played baseball in:

To DET: Petry, Lehkonen, 1st round draft in 2020

To MTL: Cholowski, Mantha

It fills two holes on the CH lineup, and makes the D top-3=Weber, Chiarot, Cholowski with room to grow for Brook/Juulsen/Fleury.

It also provides more size and skilll up-front

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am fed up, I want to send Petry to Detroit to play in the city his dad played baseball in:

To DET: Petry, Lehkonen, 1st round draft in 2020

To MTL: Cholowski, Mantha

It fills two holes on the CH lineup, and makes the D top-3=Weber, Chiarot, Cholowski with room to grow for Brook/Juulsen/Fleury.

It also provides more size and skilll up-front

Are you trying to make the team worse?  Cause that is what you accomplished.  While also giving up a lottery pick to Detroit.

Put the crackpipe down.

Just now, Commandant said:

Are you trying to make the team worse?  Cause that is what you accomplished.  While also giving up a lottery pick to Detroit.

Put the crackpipe down.

🦋🦄🌈 🤪...but it makes me see all these colours 🦋🦄🌈 🤪

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Does anyone else feel it might be time to end the Carey price era? 

I would love to see Hall in a habs sweater and wonder in price could help land him

Not unless you can guarantee that you can sign him.  I’d try moving Weber or Price. But given that your giving up cornerstone pieces I would not be willing to add anything else and I think the devils want a player, pick and prospect, plus an additional pick if Hall resigns.

even with Hall we are not a playoff team, the defence still sucks and we need a goalie (which is the devils problem have).  Given these issues there is no way Hall would resign without us.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not unless you can guarantee that you can sign him.  I’d try moving Weber or Price. But given that your giving up cornerstone pieces I would not be willing to add anything else and I think the devils want a player, pick and prospect, plus an additional pick if Hall resigns.

even with Hall we are not a playoff team, the defence still sucks and we need a goalie (which is the devils problem have).  Given these issues there is no way Hall would resign without us.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree that you don't make that trade unless you  can guarantee resigning him. I am leery of giving up too much for Hall, love his talent, not convinced of his character which I mentioned on another thread.  There is a reason that the best the Oilers could get for a young dynamic player like Hall was Adam Larson who is a decent defenceman but nowhere near the talented player Hall is. 

His agent has a history of taking his player to free agency and not signing during the season.  Hes a rental for whoever signs him.

Dont think this is a character concern though.  I dont blame players for wanting to see what is on the market.

As for the reason he was traded for Larsson.  Chiarelli is an idiot.

Management has to choose is it a rebuild or false hope retool . 

I for one would go full rebuild. Have the new core of guys be

Danault 

Domi 

Kotkaniemi 

Mete

Suzuki 

Poehling 

Fleury 

Prime

Armia 

Lehkonen 

Keep these guys build the team around them.

Trade  Weber, Price, Gallagher, Petry, Byron, Tatar 

Get what you can for those guys. Completely change the atmosphere/voices in the dressing room.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Trade everyone.  Have no veterans.. Go all youth, and fail miserably as there are no leaders. 

We've seen this and its taken edmonton over a decade to get out of the depth spiral they caused by doing this. 

How are their no leaders????

Danault 

Domi 

Kotkaniemi 

Mete 

Suzuki 

Become your new group of leaders 

You forget when BG change over the leader group Price, Pk, Gallagher, Pacioretty they were all young players.

Yes, making a 19 year old second year player, a 20 year old rookie and a 21 year old defenceman... 3 of those 5 new leaders. 

Good plan!!

I can't believe i didn't see this before. 

and when BG changed the group, he kept Markov, he acquired Gionta, Gomez and Cammalleri, he had Hamrlik, Spacek, ... he had Plekanec... he acquired Moen, there were veterans around. 

Thats 3 Cup winners (4 rings) and a lot of games of experience he had. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

His agent has a history of taking his player to free agency and not signing during the season.  Hes a rental for whoever signs him.

Dont think this is a character concern though.  I dont blame players for wanting to see what is on the market.

As for the reason he was traded for Larsson.  Chiarelli is an idiot.

Chiarelli made some bad moves no question but apparently Larsson was the best he could get as teams had concerns about Hall.  I don't blame players at all for seeing what's on the market. Anyway it doesn't matter much anyway,  I don't see Hall coming here. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Chiarelli made some bad moves no question but apparently Larsson was the best he could get as teams had concerns about Hall.  I don't blame players at all for seeing what's on the market. Anyway it doesn't matter much anyway,  I don't see Hall coming here. 

I don't believe it was an issue with Hall as much as it was Chiarelli painting himself into a corner needing a young RHD. When your cards are showing the sharks will eat 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, making a 19 year old second year player, a 20 year old rookie and a 21 year old defenceman... 3 of those 5 new leaders. 

Good plan!!

I can't believe i didn't see this before. 

and when BG changed the group, he kept Markov, he acquired Gionta, Gomez and Cammalleri, he had Hamrlik, Spacek, ... he had Plekanec... he acquired Moen, there were veterans around. 

Thats 3 Cup winners (4 rings) and a lot of games of experience he had. 

I guess your  way is always right, lets just keep the Path we're on and do nothing. continue to finish just outside a playoff spot and pick from 15-20.  Then when the young guys are ready to make the NHL, just in time for Price, Weber and petry to retire and we end up with nothing for them.

That makes a so much better plan.

Because it worked so will with Markov, lets do it again.

13 minutes ago, illWill said:

I don't believe it was an issue with Hall as much as it was Chiarelli painting himself into a corner needing a young RHD. When your cards are showing the sharks will eat 

I disagree 100% on that one, Edmonton is a small city.  Hall had to go and Chiarelli was in a corner because he had to get rid of him.  But perhaps Hall has matured since his time in Edmonton. Young guys do grow up.