Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Oilers looking for a scoring winger, tatar would be the closest to a non rental the habs have, unless they are moving gallgher which i highly doubt, 

Colorado is a team looking for a scoring LW and a goalie 

I know Byram would be the better get but sounds like Joe doesn’t want to trade him...

CP31 and Kovalchuk to Colorado

for

Newhook, Grubauer, Graves and a 1st..

Montreal retains 25% of contract

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nope, I do not think we will be contenders in the next 2 years. I think contending is 3-4 years away and at that time Price will probably be a backup and Weber a 3rd pairing D

If that’s what you think why keep Price??? A $10.m backup is the definition of stupidity and recipe for disaster in a cap world.  If we are not going to contend for 3-4 years (which is my opinion), than Price, Weber, Tatar and Petry should all be traded now to stockpile for the future.

ive seen some posts about wanting to see price retire as a hab, Roy, lafleur, Robinson, Chelios, carbaneau, lapointe. Shutt, Savard  did not retire as habs - and they accomplished much more in achieving the ultimate goal we want. Koivu who was captain for the second longest duration did not retire as a hab - and he played with inferior players than price has, and he also did not retire as a hab to make room for gainey’s biggest blunder.

sentimentality has to be thrown out the window and hard decisions have to be made if we are to ever become an elite team again.

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

Oilers looking for a scoring winger, tatar would be the closest to a non rental the habs have, unless they are moving gallgher which i highly doubt, 

Colorado is a team looking for a scoring LW and a goalie 

I’d try for Puljujarvi and a 1st for Tatar and kovulchuck, but would prefer an elite D prospect coming back.

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If that’s what you think why keep Price??? A $10.m backup is the definition of stupidity and recipe for disaster in a cap world.  If we are not going to contend for 3-4 years (which is my opinion), than Price, Weber, Tatar and Petry should all be traded now to stockpile for the future.

ive seen some posts about wanting to see price retire as a hab, Roy, lafleur, Robinson, Chelios, carbaneau, lapointe. Shutt, Savard  did not retire as habs - and they accomplished much more in achieving the ultimate goal we want. Koivu who was captain for the second longest duration did not retire as a hab - and he played with inferior players than price has, and he also did not retire as a hab to make room for gainey’s biggest blunder.

sentimentality has to be thrown out the window and hard decisions have to be made if we are to ever become an elite team again.

I do not think it was a sentimental decision, it was a business decision to lock the best goalie available for market value.

He will be a boat archer like Lundquist is, and he will be a good mentor to the new Goalie 5 years down the road. But to think he will continue to play 50+ games for the length of his contract is foolish

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nope, I do not think we will be contenders in the next 2 years. I think contending is 3-4 years away and at that time Price will probably be a backup and Weber a 3rd pairing D

I agree but with all those expiring contacts that's how habs management should be looking at things.

They should be saying we have 2 years to try and win a cup with this core group of players. Other wise if they don't see us as cup contender over the next 2 years, then they should be blowing up this core group now, and not 2 years from now.

9 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I agree but with all those expiring contacts that's how habs management should be looking at things.

They should be saying we have 2 years to try and win a cup with this core group of players. Other wise if they don't see us as cup contender over the next 2 years, then they should be blowing up this core group now, and not 2 years from now.

I disagree with the notion that blowing up the is necessary. They have a good core but lacking in elite players.

With the expiring contracts and the cap space, in the next 2 years they should be adding elite players to this core to become cup contenders

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree with the notion that blowing up the is necessary. They have a good core but lacking in elite players.

With the expiring contracts and the cap space, in the next 2 years they should be adding elite players to this core to become cup contenders

Yeah but that's half of this core group of players  that's contracts are expiring.

Gallagher, Danault, Petry, Armia, Tatar they're all part of this current core group of players. In 2 years time probably only Danault and Gallagher would be resigned. So you're going to look at a turn over of players anyway In 2 years time.

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Would Edmonton take Kovalchuk for Puljujarvi? Seems like a trade that could work out without the Habs accumulating a third round pick or so. Not sure if Puljujarvi is working out in Europe or if he's even worth much at this point.

I don't think Edmonton would trade Puljujarvi straight up for Kovalchuk.  Personally, I don't think Puljujarvi should have that much value, but the Oilers do.  I get that he was a 4th overall pick and is still young, but he hasn't looked like a prospect that is going to hit his once lofty ceiling.   Yakupov was a 1st overall pick and put up better numbers and was dealt for a 3rd and a nobody prospect.  Kovalchuk is likely worth about a 2nd/3rd, but Holland and the Oilers organization value Puljujarvi much higher than Kovalchuk or a 2nd/3rd rounder.  Maybe if the Habs added one of their picks outside the top 60 and/or took on a cap dump (there isn't much to choose from, maybe Manning?), the Oilers might consider moving Puljujarvi.  I'd rather try to snag Samorukov if the Habs are trading for a prospect. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d try for Puljujarvi and a 1st for Tatar and kovulchuck, but would prefer an elite D prospect coming back.

17th pick for Tatar, no thanks. The other two are a wash.

6 hours ago, huzer said:

Would Edmonton take Kovalchuk for Puljujarvi? Seems like a trade that could work out without the Habs accumulating a third round pick or so. Not sure if Puljujarvi is working out in Europe or if he's even worth much at this point.

He's having a decent year over there all things considered but he seems to be one of those guys who needs a lot of ice time to be happy but isn't good enough to get that level of ice time.  I'm not sure he really fits in on Montreal's roster.

If Petry goes anywhere, I hope we get this type of return from teams that may be desperate to go far in the playoffs (see if I win the bragging rights lottery :rolleyes:):

from Winnipeg:

1st round pick 2020, Kristian Vesalainen and Ville Heinola

from Carolina:

1st round pick 2020, Haydn Fleury and Dominik Bokk

from Florida:

1st round pick 2020, Owen Tippet and Max Gildon with Stralman coming back for salary cap relief

• Like 1

Enough doom and gloom lets figure out how to get better for next year and beyond.

I wonder if we could swing Dumba out of minny for taking on Parise at some point (maybe next season if he struggles badly)? Parise is 35 years old with 5 years left at 7.5 ish cap hit.

We might be able to land a beast like Dumba for cheap?

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Enough doom and gloom lets figure out how to get better for next year and beyond.

I wonder if we could swing Dumba out of minny for taking on Parise at some point (maybe next season if he struggles badly)? Parise is 35 years old with 5 years left at 7.5 ish cap hit.

Why would anyone even consider Parise for another 5 years??? He’s Olaf and been injury prone.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why would anyone even consider Parise for another 5 years??? He’s Olaf and been injury prone.

Thats the trade off to get Dumba for cheap.

We seem to have lots of cap space year after year and Dumba is a 25 year old beast.

Would we be able to swing this for a low pic?

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We seem to have lots of cap space year after year and Dumba is a 25 year old beast.

Getting dumba and Parise is an all I move.  If we did that, how would we resign petry, Tatar and Gallagher, Domi and Suzuki and Kk is they pan out will also be looking for raises.  dumba would also be looking for a raise in another year.

We should be using our cap space now to take on bad contracts for 2 years max, if it nets us a grade prospects and picks to help us build for the future, but it’s absurd to take on a bad contract with 5 years left.  We’d be committing almost $26m to three old men (price, Weber and Parise).

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We won't have lots of cap space for five years. 

After the 2020-21 season, there will be a number of players who will need raises or need to be replaced. 

The beauty of acquiring Dumba is that it would free us up to move Petry and youngify a D-core that is much, much too old, way out of sync with the organization's "developmental" stage. That's a move worth exploring, although how the hell we would get him out of Minny is far from self-evident.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There was framework for a Parise/Ladd swap that fell apart at the deadline. Both players waived their trade protection to make it happen, but the GMs couldn't quite make it work with the time constraint. I expect that trade is completed at the draft. Also I doubt Parise waives his trade protection to come to Montreal.

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

There was framework for a Parise/Ladd swap that fell apart at the deadline. Both players waived their trade protection to make it happen, but the GMs couldn't quite make it work with the time constraint. I expect that trade is completed at the draft. Also I doubt Parise waives his trade protection to come to Montreal.

There are two theories I have for why that deal didn't get done:

1) Confusion with retention as to how it pertained to salary cap recapture liability, something both teams will be liable for on Parise.  That particular calculation would take a lot of work with the league to make sure everyone has the same interpretation and that's tough to do in between 30 other trades trickling in.

2) The deal leaked and Lamoriello pulled the plug as he has done several times in the past.

I'm with you in thinking the deal will get done this offseason.  The fun will be whether or not it gets done before July 1st when Ladd has a $3M signing bonus that's due that could come into play.

So the Dumba proposal seems to be a loser so how about some speculation.

There was clearly communication between Sakic and MB and I'm choosing to believe that they already have a trade in principle that will be announced at this year's draft. When Colorado goes to pick we will get the big goofy grin of Bettman, "we have a trade to announce, Colorado trades 2020 first round pick along with......to the Montreal Canadiens for....." Crowd goes nuts and MB looks like a genius.

My gut tells me it is Domi + for Kadri +

There may be other players (Price?) or picks and prospects etc...

What do you guys think would be a hockey trade between the two teams?

Colorado are trying to add a top 6 forward, we are trying to add a top 4 D, you can see pretty clearly what the 2 would be discussing, who is being discussed either way, who knows, but the structure of a hockey trade between us and them will revolve around a forward leaving and a D man coming in.