Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Rumour has it that Calgary is going to make the max offer to Taylor Hall and he may want to come home a la Tavares.  
The guy the local media pitchforks are out for is Gaudreau, but not really interested in him
I think Gaudreau  is good as gone, even if they have to sweeten the deal.

the guy is be interested in is Monohan - who is also out of favour, but not nearly to the same extent.  Given he’s 3 years younger has more term on his contract, would it make sense to move Gallagher, who I would be nervous about how long a contract to extend him for, for a younger guy who is fairly consistent- this year not withstanding.  Say Byron and Gallagher for Monohan and Juuso Valimaki?

the other team with cap issues and expectation issues is a edmonton.  They could use the same two guys and have serious cap issues to get depth:

dies the following make sense:

Gallagher, Byron and Mete for Bouchard, Broberg, Raphael Lavoie , Jesse Puljujärvi and James Neal as salary dump.

We really strengthen our prospect pool on D with a couple of guys that should be top 4 dmen and get two good scoring wing prospects.   The other thought with Edmonton is dangling Danault.

I think with both our cap room and some teams under achieving and being limited by cap space, there is a chance to add more young talent to complement A future core  of KK and Suzuki.  League is getting younger and I’d rather we got more skill.  

I love everything about Gallagher, but not sure I’d want to have him in $7.5-8m deal In a couple of years on a 5 to 8 year contract thatbwwd probably need to offer.

I don't know about returns but Calgary and Edmonton (even throw in Nashville) are all performing well below expectations and I can see all three of those teams doing something major.

I would definitely see who they like from our team and see if we can build a good trade. I could see Edmonton being interested in Price and I'm betting a package could be put together that would make us think...

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The max offer is $16.3 million per year (20% of the cap).  I'm pretty sure they're not offering that. 

Meant max term in a $9-10m range in. 7 yr deal, rather than a 2 yr type deal that is rumoured For a lot of UFA’s with the flat cap and current escrow situation.

57 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don't know about returns but Calgary and Edmonton (even throw in Nashville) are all performing well below expectations and I can see all three of those teams doing something major.

I would definitely see who they like from our team and see if we can build a good trade. I could see Edmonton being interested in Price and I'm betting a package could be put together that would make us think...

Unless we took a lot more cap space than Neal back, I don’t think they could afford Price.  I also don’t think there is really too many roster players I’d want that they given their contract position that they may want to  move (Larsson, potentially Nurse, nugent hopkins).  I’d be much more interested in their prospects, unless Draisaitl suddenly became available.

i don’t think we get full value for Price given his contract  and probably can get more value for Gallagher.  We also don’t have to worry about having the player waiving a NTC with Gallagher.

10 hours ago, DON said:

Byron ($3.4), 2nd round pick, one of Mete, Kulak, Juulsen or Fleury for an upgrade up front from a cap strapped team.

Expect it will take far more to get a significant upgrade ... I would say Domi, Drouin or Tartar will have to be included (depending on who the target is). 

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I really don't think we should be throwing Kulak in there, unless you want to patch one hole and create another.

Byron, yes, depending who we would be getting.

7 hours ago, DON said:

Where do we hope Romanov is playing by end of next year, with Petry not Juulsen/Fleury. 

And he just put on a good show, for tradewise value, no?

You almost always have to give up something you would 'prefer' not to, if want a good player back.

Hopefully Romanov does climb onto the second pairing ... in which case the Habs have a killer 3rd pairing LHD if they keep Kulak.

Don't think Kulak or Mete is the piece that will make or break a trade ... expect teams might push harder for Juulsen, Fleury or one of the "prospects"  

If it is make or break for a significant upgrade then include obviously include Kulak, but unless it is in a deal for a top 4 LHD, or a separate plan to add one, I'd rather not ... I don't see another LHD on the roster, in the system to be Petry's partner (unless Romanov just "kicks the door in" at TC) ... I know you like Mete ... we just disagree on that

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Unless we took a lot more cap space than Neal back, I don’t think they could afford Price.  I also don’t think there is really too many roster players I’d want that they given their contract position that they may want to  move (Larsson, potentially Nurse, nugent hopkins).  I’d be much more interested in their prospects, unless Draisaitl suddenly became available...

Not keen on Nugent-Hopkins ... expect it would involve taking on Neal and Koskinen (almost price's cap hit) but don't know if I want habs to tie themselves up with Neal's 3 yrs @ $5.75 unless there is significant return ... say including Broberg and Lavoie ... but that would be a RE-TOOL deal and after the recent sniff of success that isn't happening ... BTW ... I use RE-TOOL (capitalized/bolded) since "re-build" is to the Habs what Valdemort was to the Harry Potter franchise ... the word that shall not be spoken

58 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

The leafs are strapped....

RW Marner (10.5  million)

For

C/W Domi RFA

RD Juulsen

2020 2nd round 

2021 1st round

???

I'd do it, but I think I'd rather have more of a sniper type (like Matthews or Laine) than Marner.  Obviously might have to give more for a Matthews or Laine.

9 minutes ago, John B said:

I'd do it, but I think I'd rather have more of a sniper type (like Matthews or Laine) than Marner.  Obviously might have to give more for a Matthews or Laine.

Agree that the need is goal scoring and Marner's strength is more his playmaking ... since joining the Leafs he has been 6th, 5th, 3rd (best season with 26 goals) and 5th in goals but has led the team in assists each season ... BUT ... he would be an upgrade over every top 6 winger on the Habs, except perhaps Gallagher ... and could certainly help KK or Suzuki optimize their scoring ... and, if the deal made before "July 1st" could sway Hall/Hoffman/Dandanov to sign.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Not keen on Nugent-Hopkins ... expect it would involve taking on Neal and Koskinen (almost price's cap hit) but don't know if I want habs to tie themselves up with Neal's 3 yrs @ $5.75 unless there is significant return ... say including Broberg and Lavoie ... but that would be a RE-TOOL deal and after the recent sniff of success that isn't happening ... BTW ... I use RE-TOOL (capitalized/bolded) since "re-build" is to the Habs what Valdemort was to the Harry Potter franchise ... the word that shall not be spoken

We have cap space and if the oilers traded Broberg,, Bouchard, Lavoie And Puljujärvi, I’d take koskinan and Neal for Price, Byron, Mete and Tatar (part of his salary is being picked up by vegas).

We’d be foolish to read to much into the recent success. Keep in mind we were not really a playoff team without COVID.  Next year are we going to be ahead of Tampa and Boston?  Don’t see it.  Not sure about toronto (depends if Dubas has a better offseason the crappy job he did last year), or Florida.  Depends if the become sellers or make some astute moves now that Talon the Free agent over-payer is gone.  Who knows what to expect from Buffalo, but they do have a young forward and dman that we can’t match (Eichal and Dahlin - don’t seem KK/Suzuki or Romanov being better than those two).  

We need two years of this bubble status and hopefully by than we are a solid playoff team, if Suzuki/KK take the next steps and Romanov, Caufield pan out. 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

For

C/W Domi RFA

RD Juulsen

2020 2nd round 

2021 1st round

???

I don’t like Marner’s salary and term - he’s going to want even a higher cap hit next contract and we may actually have a better player in Suzuki who would than have to be paid in the same ball park.  I’d rather target Nylander for a Domi+ type package and give up less.  Now if Matthews was being offered up, that would be a different story.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree that the need is goal scoring and Marner's strength is more his playmaking ... since joining the Leafs he has been 6th, 5th, 3rd (best season with 26 goals) and 5th in goals but has led the team in assists each season ... BUT ... he would be an upgrade over every top 6 winger on the Habs, except perhaps Gallagher ... and could certainly help KK or Suzuki optimize their scoring ... and, if the deal made before "July 1st" could sway Hall/Hoffman/Dandanov to sign.

I want nothing to do with Hoffman (way too much drama for a media circus like Montreal) and I really think Hall is going to Calgary who will make room by moving Gaudreau.

26 minutes ago, John B said:

I'd love Laine as well... 

Our right side would be big and strong. I think Winnipeg might be harder to deal with I think.

I think TO is in serious cap trouble next season while trying to stay competive and need alot of pieces. I also think Dubas can be had...

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd love Laine as well... 

Our right side would be big and strong. I think Winnipeg might be harder to deal with I think.

I think TO is in serious cap trouble next season while trying to stay competive and need alot of pieces. I also think Dubas can be had...

Winnipeg need defence badly. A package centred around  Petry and Domi might get it done, but we would definitely need to make further moves.  I would do that without hesitation, but I thinks Petry has a limited NTC and I’m pretty sure Winnipeg would be on most players list if teams that they wouldn’t go to.  Hell, I know I wouldn’t want to live in Winnipeg.

Looking at the cap strapped teams, here is what I would love to do:

1) sign UFA RD Pietrangelo from STL

2) Flip Petry and Domi to TOR for Nylander and Kerfoot

We get a younger upgrade on Petry and a top 6 RW, TOR gets a better D and an upgrade on Kerfoot in Domi

We take advantage of STL being against the salary cap.

To get a head start on Pietrangelo, we may trade Ouellet to them for the rights to negatiate ahead of the UFA day.

Another trade would be to send Domi and Alzner (maybe retaining a bit of salary) to VAN for Brock Boeser and Loui Eriksson.

This would save them at least $3M and still provide them a player with good potential in Domi.

Alzner, like Jordie Benn, is from BC which may make it a good fit and Alzner would provide some depth for their cup run next year.

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

For

C/W Domi RFA

RD Juulsen

2020 2nd round 

2021 1st round

???

Wouldn't they be much better giving away guys like Kapanen, Johnsson, and Kerfoot to free up cap space than to trade Marner to a division rival for a very subpar return?  Marner was second on their team in scoring this year and led them the two years before that.  They're not donating him to a division rival for a 2C/3C, two draft picks, and a waiver-blocked question mark in Juulsen.  (I like Juulsen but his trade value is minimal until he shows he can stay healthy and play.)

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Another trade would be to send Domi and Alzner (maybe retaining a bit of salary) to VAN for Brock Boeser and Loui Eriksson.

This would save them at least $3M and still provide them a player with good potential in Domi.

Alzner, like Jordie Benn, is from BC which may make it a good fit and Alzner would provide some depth for their cup run next year.

That would be an atrocious trade for Van.

That said, they do seem to be less keen on Boeser than they used to be. If he is available, the Habs should certainly be interested, at least in principle.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Wouldn't they be much better giving away guys like Kapanen, Johnsson, and Kerfoot to free up cap space than to trade Marner to a division rival for a very subpar return?  Marner was second on their team in scoring this year and led them the two years before that.  They're not donating him to a division rival for a 2C/3C, two draft picks, and a waiver-blocked question mark in Juulsen.  (I like Juulsen but his trade value is minimal until he shows he can stay healthy and play.)

All 3 of the above players salaries combine to the same amount of Marner. 

So trade all 3 only to replace all 3 as well as needing to sign 3 NHL defencemen (2 of which need to be top 4)

I get we are not the ideal trading partner being divisional and all but we are one of the only teams able to absorb a contract like that as well as having alot of assets to trade.

So start with Juulson and work your up to Mete or Fleury. I would suspect they need a right handed defender over a lefty. Hands off of Petry Weber Romanov 

Anyways. I think we can WIN a deal with Dubas at the helm.

21 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Unless we took a lot more cap space than Neal back, I don’t think they could afford Price.  I also don’t think there is really too many roster players I’d want that they given their contract position that they may want to  move (Larsson, potentially Nurse, nugent hopkins).  I’d be much more interested in their prospects, unless Draisaitl suddenly became available.

i don’t think we get full value for Price given his contract  and probably can get more value for Gallagher.  We also don’t have to worry about having the player waiving a NTC with Gallagher.

I think there is zero chance that Draisatl (league scoring champion and possible MVP) becomes available,  his contract at 8.5 mil for the next 5 years is also pretty good value right now.  I think Nurse would be a great fit but the Oilers are unlikely to move him.  Agree that you would get maximum value for Gallagher right now, love the guy but his body will wear down with the style he plays.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That would be an atrocious trade for Van.

That said, they do seem to be less keen on Boeser than they used to be. If he is available, the Habs should certainly be interested, at least in principle.

I hesitated a lot before putting Alzner on this proposal. I like our young D and even if Mete is the equivalent of Lehkonen on D, he gives an honest effort each game and is versatile enough to play both sides on a playoff run. He just can't score

Put any young/cheap D on that trade and it should interest VAN

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hesitated a lot before putting Alzner on this proposal. I like our young D and even if Mete is the equivalent of Lehkonen on D, he gives an honest effort each game and is versatile enough to play both sides on a playoff run. He just can't score

Put any young/cheap D on that trade and it should interest VAN

Mete + Domi or Drouin might get them talking. And that's a conversation worth having...

I wonder what it would cost to get a year of Palmieri on RW before he is UFA. Could be a nice stop gap before Caufield is ready

Or I'd love to get Laine somehow, maybe trade Caufield and some defense + picks

What I'm saying is we need help on RW

17 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t like Marner’s salary and term - he’s going to want even a higher cap hit next contract and we may actually have a better player in Suzuki who would than have to be paid in the same ball park.  I’d rather target Nylander for a Domi+ type package and give up less.  Now if Matthews was being offered up, that would be a different story.

The "next contract" is for 2025/26, so not a factor in this context IMO ... and Marner might also well help make Suzuki into "all that he can be" ... Suzuki is signed for two more seasons and only Drouin, Byron, Weber and Price are signed past the expiry of his ELC ... so room to manage the cap 

Nylander looks good because of his breakout this season but don't know that will repeat ... until now his best season was 22 goals ... and he would be moving from the 3rd highest scoring team to the 24th ... besides, his father's history as a "ME" player concerns me (apples not falling far from trees and all that)

19 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

For

C/W Domi RFA

RD Juulsen

2020 2nd round 

2021 1st round

???

Yes, the Leafs are strapped and after making that trade the Habs would be strapped.  I love Marner but is he a fit at 10.89M a year?

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, the Leafs are strapped and after making that trade the Habs would be strapped.  I love Marner but is he a fit at 10.89M a year?

Habs currently have a few thousand more than $18.3 million in cap space for next season ... Marner would drop it to just under $7.5M ... 4 forwards and 2 defencemen needed to fill out the roster ... those 7 spots likely total no more than $7 million ... I expect Alzner has already told MB that he will be walking away (one can dream) or (most likely) MB plans to trade some picks to move him to a team that will welcome his $1.625/$1.125 of "free AAV' for the next two years ... adding back on another $4.625 in cap space 

It would be a "now" move as longer-term it would tie up cap space for 21/22 when Tartar, Gallagher, Drouin, Danault and Petry come need new deals.