Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This was the best spot I could think of for this somewhat interesting tidbit

Apparently Ryan Poehling and Max Domi have removed references to being a Hab from their Instagram pages ... this contrasts with, for example, Nick Suzuki and Brendan Gallagher whose profile photos are in their habs sweaters ... Poehling as an interesting reference on his page:  Time will tell the story

Are they suggesting they don't expect to be back?

There is some twitter speculation that Bergevin and Treveling are working on a deal.  Gaudreau to Montreal, Domi, Poehling, 1st rounder to Calgary.  Not sure of the validity of any of the sources though.  Could be someone just thinking out loud.

49 minutes ago, John B said:

There is some twitter speculation that Bergevin and Treveling are working on a deal.  Gaudreau to Montreal, Domi, Poehling, 1st rounder to Calgary.  Not sure of the validity of any of the sources though.  Could be someone just thinking out loud.

I looked into it last night.  It's not a legitimate source - it's someone looking at them changing their social media bios to not reflect Montreal and inferring that a trade is on the horizon.  With Gaudreau believed to be available in Calgary, why not throw him into a 'rumour'?

2 hours ago, John B said:

I don’t like that deal at all.  From all reports here, Calgary is looking to dump Gaudreau, so they can go hard after Hall and are also expected to turn over at least 2 dmen and get a new goalie.  We should be able to get him cheaper than that.  I’d do Domi and a first, but wouldn’t just throw in another prospect, a la Gainey with McDonough.

Basu/Godin put these 3 names as players maybe to be moved for cap reasons and may fit Habs.

Alex Killorn, LW, Tampa Bay Lightning
Contract: Three years, $4.45 million/year

Kasperi Kapanen, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Contract: Two years, $3.2 million/year

Markus Nutivaara, RD, Columbus Blue Jackets (as a slot filler till young d are ready) LH right d-man
Contract: Two years, $2.7 million/year

Killorn had a strong year, on pace for 30+ goals, but his track record is for a consistent 15-20 goals. And he's turning 31, with three more years on his contract. I think not.

Kapanen is much younger, but has yet to show he can score 20+. Does he add something we need?

I don't know Nutivaara at all ...

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Killorn had a strong year, on pace for 30+ goals, but his track record is for a consistent 15-20 goals. And he's turning 31, with three more years on his contract. I think not.

Kapanen is much younger, but has yet to show he can score 20+. Does he add something we need?

I don't know Nutivaara at all ...

Kapanen did score 20 in 2019.

Although he's looked dangerous when the Habs play him, his first two seasons seem to have shown no particular progression - not that unusual in a young player, but then again he's 24, not 21. Is he just blocked by TO's depth chart, or is he "just" a flashy 45-point guy with no higher ceiling than that?

41 minutes ago, huzer said:

Kapanen is now a Pen, so that discussion is moot.

For the 15th pick eh..darn Leafs will be picking just ahead of Habs.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I looked into it last night.  It's not a legitimate source - it's someone looking at them changing their social media bios to not reflect Montreal and inferring that a trade is on the horizon.  With Gaudreau believed to be available in Calgary, why not throw him into a 'rumour'?

I was wondering if it was just more of a reaction to them changing their twitter accounts.  It's not like there was an actual name (recognizable name) attached to the twitter account where the tweet originated.  Thanks for checking into it and clearing that up.

11 hours ago, John B said:

I hope it's just speculation, way too much to give up for Gaudreau.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t like that deal at all.  From all reports here, Calgary is looking to dump Gaudreau, so they can go hard after Hall and are also expected to turn over at least 2 dmen and get a new goalie.  We should be able to get him cheaper than that.  I’d do Domi and a first, but wouldn’t just throw in another prospect, a la Gainey with McDonough.

Think DUMP is harsh ... JG had a poor season but tied for second in goal scoring for Flames in the playoffs (a very respectable 4 goals in 10 games ... would have tied for lead with Habs) ... this is not a Nathan Horton true dump ... or even the Lucic/Neal mutual dump last summer ... they are looking to MOVE JG to free up cap space ... but there are enoigh teams that would want him to ensure Flames get a decent return (but, agreed, not full value)

Thing with gaudreau for Domi (in terms of NHL forwards) is that it is small and feisty for small and feisty ... other existing top 9 forwards would beed to be moved separately to achieve to need for talented size that plays big.

33 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hope it's just speculation, way too much to give up for Gaudreau.

Feels at bit rich to me as well ... but that likely means it is a reasonably fair trade ... if you are happy to give up every piece to get the desired play it means you aren't offering enough.

9 hours ago, DON said:

Basu/Godin put these 3 names as players maybe to be moved for cap reasons and may fit Habs.

Alex Killorn, LW, Tampa Bay Lightning
Contract: Three years, $4.45 million/year

Kasperi Kapanen, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs
Contract: Two years, $3.2 million/year

Markus Nutivaara, RD, Columbus Blue Jackets (as a slot filler till young d are ready) LH right d-man
Contract: Two years, $2.7 million/year

Killorn's production this season was impressive (26g in 68 games) .. but it was in borderline 2nd/3rd line EvStrentgh TOI and 2nd unit PP TOI on the leading scoring team in the league and 5th best PP ... is it repeatable in Montreal.

Prefer to jove Fleury/Juulsen a shot ... also Brook if he gets his game together this season

From Hockey30 (for what it is worth):

Danault as the Habs centrepiece in a trade with Minnesota for Brodin or Dumba (other pieces TBD)

Puts a lot of pressure on KK and NS ... and leaves Habs without a 3C (maybe Poehling in a year or two but not likely 20/21) ... IMO depends on what other moves are made

Domi and Mete to Detroit for Mantha

Like the idea ... size and scoring ... but expect it might take a bit more ... maybe subbing another D prospect for Mete or adding in at least a second round pick

Domi and Danult at the centre (pun intended) of a deal for Laine

Depends on the other pieces, and same concerns as mentioned above ... but the return is elite

Finally, a UFA suggestion that Mikaël Granlund is gopng to sign with the habs

Not, IMO a top 6 upgrade, but at the right price a good 3rd line winger

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Killorn's production this season was impressive (26g in 68 games) .. but it was in borderline 2nd/3rd line EvStrentgh TOI and 2nd unit PP TOI on the leading scoring team in the league and 5th best PP ... is it repeatable in Montreal.

No, was at a 20% shooting rate, so due for set back and the authors already assumed that. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Think DUMP is harsh ... JG had a poor season but tied for second in goal scoring for Flames in the playoffs (a very respectable 4 goals in 10 games ... would have tied for lead with Habs) ... this is not a Nathan Horton true dump ... or even the Lucic/Neal mutual dump last summer ... they are looking to MOVE JG to free up cap space ... but there are enoigh teams that would want him to ensure Flames get a decent return (but, agreed, not full value)

Thing with gaudreau for Domi (in terms of NHL forwards) is that it is small and feisty for small and feisty ... other existing top 9 forwards would beed to be moved separately to achieve to need for talented size that plays big.

Dump may be a poor choice of words, but they are looking at getting rid of him, or doing something significant to change the culture, because he has not been able to produce 5 on 5 in the playoffs. Some of the talking heads here want both Gaudreau and Monohan moved.  Cap is part of the reason, but a lot of it is also wanting to change the culture.  The thing is Calgary is not a very fast team and moving him will probably make the slower.  I think to Domi from Gaudreau is more move to small and feisty from small and more skilled.  I don’t know anyone here that has referred to or considers Gaudreau feisty.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

From Hockey30 (for what it is worth):

Danault as the Habs centrepiece in a trade with Minnesota for Brodin or Dumba (other pieces TBD)

Puts a lot of pressure on KK and NS ... and leaves Habs without a 3C (maybe Poehling in a year or two but not likely 20/21) ... IMO depends on what other moves are made

Domi and Mete to Detroit for Mantha

Like the idea ... size and scoring ... but expect it might take a bit more ... maybe subbing another D prospect for Mete or adding in at least a second round pick

Domi and Danult at the centre (pun intended) of a deal for Laine

Depends on the other pieces, and same concerns as mentioned above ... but the return is elite

Finally, a UFA suggestion that Mikaël Granlund is gopng to sign with the habs

Not, IMO a top 6 upgrade, but at the right price a good 3rd line winger

Is so the Laine deal in a heartbeat, but I can’t see them moving Laine without getting help on the D.  I can see them doing a Domi-Petry or Domi-weber.  I think Petry would probably have Winnipeg in his HELL NO list and I think if their was a fit, given the difficulty they have in getting players, they’d probably want Weber since he is locked up longer.

But no way does Danault and Domi get you Laine.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is Domi + Mete in danger of becoming the new "Ryder and a 2nd?" Just asking 😉

Maybe even less than that.

This may provide some hope of getting something meaningful out of Arizona:

I would take off their hands Niklas Hjalmarsson ($5M) and ask for Adin Hill (back up goalie) and  for Victor Söderström (right D, drafted in 2019)

In exchange I would send Ouellet and Lindgren (or McNiven to expose to expansion) and St-Louis' 2nd round pick. 

It gives Arizona cap relief, a backup goalie to expose in the expansion draft  and a 2nd round pick. They loose Söderström and it may take Mete or another draft pick to pry him away.

The Habs get a backup goalie that showed he is NHL ready, a solid RD prospect and a bottom pair D to take Folin's and Ouellet's spot and grow up with Brook/Juulsen/Fleury to see who pans out (Söderström is not eligible in the expansion draft). Hjalmarsson may still have some gas in the tank for one season with the Habs. 

Edited by alfredoh2009
added McNiven

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This may provide some hope of getting something meaningful out of Arizona:

I would take off their hands Niklas Hjalmarsson ($5M) and ask for Adin Hill (back up goalie) and  for Victor Söderström (right D, drafted in 2019)

In exchange I would send Ouellet and Lindgren and St-Louis' 2nd round pick. 

It gives Arizona cap relief, a backup goalie to expose in the expansion draft  and a 2nd round pick. They loose Söderström and it may take Mete or another draft pick to pry him away.

The Habs get a backup goalie that showed he is NHL ready, a solid RD prospect and a bottom pair D to take Folin's and Ouellet's spot and grow up with Brook/Juulsen/Fleury to see who pans out (Söderström is not eligible in the expansion draft). Hjalmarsson may still have some gas in the tank for one season with the Habs. 

I don’t know why they would want Ouellette or Lindgren and give up one of their roster players for basically our garbage and a 2nd round pick.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know why they would want Ouellette or Lindgren and give up one of their roster players for basically our garbage and a 2nd round pick.

because Hjalmarsson ar $5M is overpaid and they do not have draft picks to rebuild after the Chayka fiasco

Ouellet or Mete can replace him at a cheaper cost  and one (or two) of the Habs 2nd picks should give them a  chance to rebuild on the cheap

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

because Hjalmarsson ar $5M is overpaid and they do not have draft picks to rebuild after the Chayka fiasco

Ouellet or Mete can replace him at a cheaper cost  and one (or two) of the Habs 2nd picks should give them a  chance to rebuild on the cheap

Hjalmarsson Is still the better Dman.  Again why would they go after garbage??  More likely move is blowing the team up if they can’t resign Hall (which I doubt they will) and move OLK and Kessel as well and try to get younger skilled players.  You aren’t going to replace lost high draft picks with depth dmen. I think things are going to get blown up in Arizona. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Domi & Mete are better, but yes.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We need a goalie in there as well to make it the old Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd offer.

• Like 1