Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I've been drumming that tune on this forum: I believe so.

But it would take more than that. I think Domi + Mete for Nylander and a bad contract would work

Leafs really don't have any BAD contracts (not counting that some consider Matthews, Tavares and Marner overpaid)  ... Kerfoot may be closest, but he has only really had one bad season (unfortunately it was 19/20) ... I do expect they may want to move him but don't think "taking him off their hands" would balance out Domi and Mete for Nylander ... Kerfoot has trade value

Frequent "media/expert" rumours are that if Nylander is dealt it will be for at least a Top 3 defenceman

16 minutes ago, DON said:

So would I, but is besides the point of my questions.

I doubt Habs will offer huge deal, but Krug and Weber or Petry would be an upgrade for sure.

And $$/term, i dont know have a clue what he is worth in CoVid and flat cap days?

He is 29, so is a 7 year deal what he is hoping for?

Expect he will have to "take a haircut" if he wants 7 years ... maybe 7 @ $6.5M?

A key in "affording" Krug may be disposing of Alzner ... doing THAT (at a reasonable cost) would be an impressive move

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Leafs really don't have any BAD contracts (not counting that some consider Matthews, Tavares and Marner overpaid)  ... Kerfoot may be closest, but he has only really had one bad season (unfortunately it was 19/20) ... I do expect they may want to move him but don't think "taking him off their hands" would balance out Domi and Mete for Nylander ... Kerfoot has trade value

Frequent "media/expert" rumours are that if Nylander is dealt it will be for at least a Top 3 defenceman

I had suggested Nylander and Kerfoot for Domi and (I think) Petry if we had signed Pietrangelo as an UFA.

Or something like that. 

yes, eye balling Cap Friendly shows that Kerfoot may be a bad contract to take off their hands 

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I had suggested Nylander and Kerfoot for Domi and (I think) Petry if we had signed Pietrangelo as an UFA.

Or something like that. 

yes, eye balling Cap Friendly shows that Kerfoot may be a bad contract to take off their hands 

Guess it depends on the definition of "bad contract" ... Steve Mason was a bad contract ... no longer a NHL quality goalie but collecting a $4.1M salary ... Kerfoot is perhaps overpaid but not what I would call a bad contract ... I think they could fairly easily move him somewhere, with at most with $1M retained ... 

Perhaps Nylander and Kerfoot for Domi, Kulak, Poehling, a 2nd and a 3rd ... but think the Leafs may want more

1 hour ago, DON said:

So would I, but is besides the point of my questions.

I doubt Habs will offer huge deal, but Krug and Weber or Petry would be an upgrade for sure.

And $$/term, i dont know have a clue what he is worth in CoVid and flat cap days?

He is 29, so is a 7 year deal what he is hoping for?

Pre-COVID he was reputed to be looking for $8M x 6 years. Let's assume a $1M COVID discount and we'd be at $7M ($1.5M more than Petry), with a contract up to age 35. Three years younger is good, but how much better would he be than Petry? (We could choose not to sign Petry next year, whereas there is no simple way for us to move Weber.)

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess it depends on the definition of "bad contract" ... Steve Mason was a bad contract ... no longer a NHL quality goalie but collecting a $4.1M salary ... Kerfoot is perhaps overpaid but not what I would call a bad contract ... I think they could fairly easily move him somewhere, with at most with $1M retained ... 

Perhaps Nylander and Kerfoot for Domi, Kulak, Poehling, a 2nd and a 3rd ... but think the Leafs may want more

Whoo. To me that's a huge overpayment. I wouldn't give up that much for Nylander and Kerfoot.

4 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Whoo. To me that's a huge overpayment. I wouldn't give up that much for Nylander and Kerfoot.

Maybe overpayment, but not huge IMO ... what do you consider to be excessive?

2 hours ago, DON said:

How hard will Bergevin go for Krug?

What $$/term is he worth, what $$/term will he get?

He’s obviously looking for both high $ (underpaid comment) and term. I’d pass and not even bother to make an offer.  I think we need help at D, but we don’t need three aging Dmen signed to long term deals (assuming Petry is extended).

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Pre-COVID he was reputed to be looking for $8M x 6 years. Let's assume a $1M COVID discount and we'd be at $7M ($1.5M more than Petry), with a contract up to age 35. Three years younger is good, but how much better would he be than Petry? (We could choose not to sign Petry next year, whereas there is no simple way for us to move Weber.)

I think we could get a lot for Weber, - particularly from teams that had bad playoffs and are looking to change things up.  I don’t think his value be any higher than it is now, especially if we take one bad contract in return (no longer than 2 years).  I just don’t see MB moving mountain man.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s obviously looking for both high $ (underpaid comment) and term. I’d pass and not even bother to make an offer.  I think we need help at D, but we don’t need three aging Dmen signed to long term deals (assuming Petry is extended).

What he wants and what he is going to find in the marketplace may be two different things ...

The good showing in the Tournament somewhat/largely offset what was a failure of a season for the fans ... but absent Covid  Habs were realistically facing 4th playoff miss in the last 5 years ... and despite the Tournament showing, Habs/Molson got no gate revenue from those games ... MB may well be facing a make the playoffs and show well or be fired situation ... that could be good for Krug, but bad for Habs cap wise in the long-term.

Wouldn't surprise me if Torey ends up with 2 yrs @ $6.5 - 7M somewhere ... decent raise in a tight market and second chance at UFA post the flat-cap agreement

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think we could get a lot for Weber, - particularly from teams that had bad playoffs and are looking to change things up.  I don’t think his value be any higher than it is now, especially if we take one bad contract in return (no longer than 2 years).  I just don’t see MB moving mountain man.

Two years is an interesting comment ... in two years, after 21/22, Shea's actual salary drops to $3M for one season and then three seasons at $1M, who knows whether he will play past two seasons

A cap hit of $7.5-8M is no longer an outrageous amount for a top pairing D ... so I wouldn't want to take back much in terms of a bad contract ... unless by that you mean an overpaid contract for a player that could still help the habs.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Two years is an interesting comment ... in two years, after 21/22, Shea's actual salary drops to $3M for one season and then three seasons at $1M, who knows whether he will play past two seasons

A cap hit of $7.5-8M is no longer an outrageous amount for a top pairing D ... so I wouldn't want to take back much in terms of a bad contract ... unless by that you mean an overpaid contract for a player that could still help the habs.

I think given the current situation, teams are going to be cap constraint and may not even be able to take on his contract. 

but let’s say Edmonton thought you know what we had a lousy showing in the playoffs we need a veteran leadership in our #1D and wingers.

Now back before he broke out I was pushing moving a price or Weber (Subban prior today that) for Draisaitl, but he is off the table now.

but if we get get prospects like  Broberg, Lavoie, Bouchard and Puljujarvi and either Klefbom or Nurse and take a bad contract like Neal for Weber, Drouin and Byron.  Who knows, they may bite.  I sure wish Chiarelli was still there, but Holland might bite.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... but if we get get prospects like  Broberg, Lavoie, Bouchard and Puljujarvi and either Klefbom or Nurse and take a bad contract like Neal for Weber, Drouin and Byron.  Who knows, they may bite.  I sure wish Chiarelli was still there, but Holland might bite.

I would be OK with that ... but I would not be surprised if MB's job is on the line this season ... meaning that "prospects" trades are likely not on the table for him ... 

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

but if we get get prospects like  Broberg, Lavoie, Bouchard and Puljujarvi and either Klefbom or Nurse and take a bad contract like Neal for Weber, Drouin and Byron.  Who knows, they may bite.  I sure wish Chiarelli was still there, but Holland might bite.

They wouldn't bite.  They don't have anywhere near the cap space to do that, even with taking on Neal. 

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Just in case anyone missed this, not only did he propose trading our Captain Shea Weber, he also wants to take on a bad contract for two years. At least we can both agree with the last sentence..

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, illWill said:

Just in case anyone missed this, not only did he propose trading our Captain Shea Weber, he also wants to take on a bad contract for two years. At least we can both agree with the last sentence..

So if the oilers offered you Draisaitl, Nurse and Neil for Weber and Domi you would say no??  Or the leafs offered Matthews and kerfoot for Weber you would say no? Or the flames offered Gaudreau, Monohan and Ryan for Weber and Byron you would say no?

idiot.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They wouldn't bite.  They don't have anywhere near the cap space to do that, even with taking on Neal. 

Quite. Drouin, Byron and Weber add up to about $17M AAV, whereas Neal is under $6M. The Oilers only have about $10M in space and a lot of players to be signed yet.

I suspect that to pry any younger (and cheaper) forwards from the Oilers might not be that easy, unless we can provide other inexpensive options for them.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So if the oilers offered you Draisaitl, Nurse and Neil for Weber and Domi you would say no??  Or the leafs offered Matthews and kerfoot for Weber you would say no? Or the flames offered Gaudreau, Monohan and Ryan for Weber and Byron you would say no?

idiot.

I hope for your mental well being that you don’t think that any of those offers are realistic 

16 minutes ago, illWill said:

I hope for your mental well being that you don’t think that any of those offers are realistic 

The problem is that he does. 

And then three months from now, he will complain that MB didn't make these moves. 

49 minutes ago, illWill said:

No I don’t. I listed the the type of deals that info think are possible I earlier threads. Just making the point that you can get players you want from teams that want someone like Weber, but need to unload salaries.   

the flames are looking more for a Gallagher type.  As in previous posts, I do think Winnipeg is a team that we could be enticed to trade a young player like Laine for Weber as part of a larger deal that includes us taking back a bad contract like Perrault.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The problem is that he does. 

And then three months from now, he will complain that MB didn't make these moves. 

Yeah and you will keep going on how great the Drouin deal is and that we are better off with kulak than Sergechev, or how over-rated Bo Horvat is.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

the flames are looking more for a Gallagher type.  As in previous posts, I do think Winnipeg is a team that we could be enticed to trade a young player like Laine for Weber as part of a larger deal that includes us taking back a bad contract like Perrault.

Winnipeg drafted Laine to be a franchise winger.  They're not going to be enticed to trade him for a 35-year-old defenceman by Montreal agreeing to take the final year of Mathieu Perreault's contract off their hands.  They'll instead give Perreault away or send a pick to get someone to take on the contract and voila, their cap issues for next year would be solved without them losing Laine.  That's a much better plan for them than making a trade centred around Laine/Weber.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Winnipeg drafted Laine to be a franchise winger.  They're not going to be enticed to trade him for a 35-year-old defenceman by Montreal agreeing to take the final year of Mathieu Perreault's contract off their hands.  They'll instead give Perreault away or send a pick to get someone to take on the contract and voila, their cap issues for next year would be solved without them losing Laine.  That's a much better plan for them than making a trade centred around Laine/Weber.

That makes so much sense

a bit like what the blues did with Allen and Toronto did with Kapanen

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The jets are going to have to make a major move to upgrade their D.  The only legitimate Dman they have is Morrissey.  They’ve got three choices to get an impactful dman. wheeler (Who I think given his age should be the logical choice), Ehlers and Laine. They a are not  trading Conner or Scheifele.  Reports already are out their that Wheeler is not going anywhere.  Their preference will probably be to move Ehlers, but at least he’s signed to a decent cap hit long term. Laine May want somewhere between $8.5m to $9.5m. 

would they want a younger Dman?  For sure.  But if the ones that will probably be available - like Sougie Hamilton, what chance do they have to sign him long-term, since his contract is close to being up? Zero. He didn’t want to be in Calgary, he sure the hell wont want to be in Winnipeg.

Winnipeg is not a popular farewell agent destination - they have a hard time keeping their own players.  They had a mass exodus last year.  Hamornic is a legitimate possibility, but that’s about it and that’s not nearly enough.  They’ll want a player with term and someone who doesn’t have a NTC that excludes the jets

do I think that is the deal they want to make? No. But Weber should be able to give them at least two Elite years. Than his salary drops, making the him more  affordable to a team like Winnipeg and they can hope that he can give another 4 years.  GM’s make a lot of deal based on hope and character. On top of that, If we package in Domi To address their centre depth (May actually resign, was born their and his dad played there) and Mete and that might be good enough to get Laine and a RFA like Roslovic. To ease the cap, we also take Perrault.

do I think Laine-Weber by itself would work.  Of course not. But you broaden the deal and look at some of the Jets issues and we may be able to pull it off.

same thing in Calgary. I think we could make a one to one trade for Gaudreau and Gallagher, but given Calgary’s situation, I think we can take advantage it.  Their is legitimate talk and desire to blow up the core. The Captain Gioridono was a fan favourite and win the norris.  Lots of talk about him being moved. Gaudreau is seen as a perimeter player who can’t play 5 on 5 in the playoffs.  Monohan too laid back. They are looking to blow up the core and are going  to lose some dmen to free agency and desperately need a goalie.  

there is a opportunity to get them to overpay for a guy like a Gallagher (who I love, but has a lot of miles playing kamakazee hockey in a small frame).  Calgary May also be one of Those teams that may actually have interest in Orice and pay a substantial return.

Tkachuk is untouchable unfortunately and Bennet suddenly is in good graces along with Lindholm and I don’t think they move kids like dune or  Valimaki.

monohon and Gaudreau May be available as a package if we had a Gallagher-Danault type package or price-danault. The only thing I wouldn’t do to make a deal happen with Calgary is take Lucic and his awful contract.

I think we have an opportunity to address our offence significantly by making one of these deals.

If we make the Weber trade, we need to address the D and I think Edmonton is a natural trading partner.  They need help on wing, shutdown centr and would probably also overpay for Gallagher.  They also need a real goaltender and would have interest in Price.

price-Byron-Drouin and Jullsaon for koskinan-Neal-Broberg-Bouchard-Puljujarvi-lavoie.  May be possible.

or Gallagher—Danault-jullson for Neal-Bouchard-Broberg-Puljujarvi-klefbom-lavoie.

We have KK and Suzuki. But need better wingers and I want dmen that have potential to be like Hughes or Makar.  It’s a young mans game and I’d be willing to give up our veterans who may have 2-4 good years left for guys that could make us a powerhouse for the next 10 by exploiting teams that are looking to shake things up and have had consecutive years of disappointment.