Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

16 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I frankly don’t want RNH.  Prefer some of the of the oilers prospects  over roster players ... If we did that, we do need to make some other all-in moves ... even if we did go all-in, I’d prefer getting young players in return for some of our older enigmatic players ...

I totally agree about wanting their prospects ... but I don't believe that MB is in a position to deal for prospects that won't be ready to play a major role next season

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That's a habit you (and everyone) should try to get yourself into doing when coming up with trade and signing proposals.  By the time the Habs re-sign their players, they don't have room to add someone making $11 million.

Agree that checking cap space s/b a must do when plotting trades ... but disagree about "re-signing their players" ... to one degree or another Domi this season and Gallagher, Tartar, Danault, Armia and Lehkonen next are all players that I would be willing to package for upgrades rather than re-sign

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agree that checking cap space s/b a must do when plotting trades ... but disagree about "re-signing their players" ... to one degree or another Domi this season and Gallagher, Tartar, Danault, Armia and Lehkonen next are all players that I would be willing to package for upgrades rather than re-sign

Were you miss the point is that there needs to be salary allocation for the roster players coming back. Y you package 5 x players making avg. $4M you have to set aside $20M coming back

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Were you miss the point is that there needs to be salary allocation for the roster players coming back. Y you package 5 x players making avg. $4M you have to set aside $20M coming back

It isn't always a dollar for dollar scenario ... if you trade 5 players making $20M the goal (in a win now scenario) would be to get get 2 better players who likely wouldn't make $20M in total.

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We’ve got around $67M contracted for next year, with only Domi and Mete to sign.  So we have plenty of room to make a major addition next year.  

It’s the year after that is difficult to determine until you know what you are going to do with the UFA/RFA’s we have.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We’ve got around $67M contracted for next year, with only Domi and Mete to sign.  So we have plenty of room to make a major addition next year.  

It’s the year after that is difficult to determine until you know what you are going to do with the UFA/RFA’s we have.

The big thing is what are Domi and Mete making on their next deals?  Many expect Domi to start with a 5 and Mete's going to get a raise as well.  Add those to your $67M figure and subtract it from the $81.5M cap.  The difference is less than $11M for Hall, notwithstanding filling out the rest of the roster.  So as things stand, they don't have the money.

Now, if they intend to move some players for futures (picks/prospects) to save some cap space, then perhaps they do although at least one of those would need to be from next year's UFA crop to make the second season work.  I don't dislike the higher money/shorter term idea for Hall (Colorado's probably going to try that as well) but even with Montreal's current cap space, they don't have enough room at this time.  We'll see if Bergevin has an inkling that such a move is possible if he winds up shipping out some money before the market opens up like he did last year with Shaw and Deslauriers. 

I'll give Habs 29 this much: the idea of a short-term, high-salary deal for an elite UFA makes more sense now than it ever did before, from the player's perspective. Normally a UFA is looking to max out his lifetime earnings at the one moment of his career where he can write his own ticket. But right now the market is going to be significantly deflated due to Covid circumstances. Taking a short-term deal at a huge ticket would allow you to (hopefully) ride out Covid and re-enter the market when it's on the upswing. In the meantime, you rake it in.

So this is a rare moment where that option could be attractive to players. Whether or not the Habs are considering it, or have the wherewithal to clear the cap room to make it work, I don't know.

As for the idea of acquiring RNH in order to make Montreal more appealing to Hall, that seems very far-fetched to me. The RNH deal would have to make sense on its own terms, because I seriously doubt anyone is making a major life decision on the basis of having a buddy in a particular city. Unless Hall and RNH are lovers or something, that's a huge stretch.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As for the idea of acquiring RNH in order to make Montreal more appealing to Hall, that seems very far-fetched to me. The RNH deal would have to make sense on its own terms, because I seriously doubt anyone is making a major life decision on the basis of having a buddy in a particular city. Unless Hall and RNH are lovers or something, that's a huge stretch.

This is the part where someone chimes in and mentions that Alex Pietrangelo and Jake Allen are apparently quite close.  (But no, acquiring a friend shouldn't have any realistic bearing on someone choosing to sign with a team and uproot their family.)

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... As for the idea of acquiring RNH in order to make Montreal more appealing to Hall, that seems very far-fetched to me. The RNH deal would have to make sense on its own terms, because I seriously doubt anyone is making a major life decision on the basis of having a buddy in a particular city. Unless Hall and RNH are lovers or something, that's a huge stretch.

I obviously agree that a player won't sign somewhere he isn't interested in just because a buddy plays there ... but friendships could be a factor if Montreal is "in play" come the final choice ... and it could help  to overcome preconceived negative notions if a buddy sells the team and city.

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I obviously agree that a player won't sign somewhere he isn't interested in just because a buddy plays there ... but friendships could be a factor if Montreal is "in play" come the final choice ... and it could help  to overcome preconceived negative notions if a buddy sells the team and city.

It happens more than you think. But obviously money and term play a bigger factor.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I don't see the point in trading for RNH, if our idea is that we have to trade Domi cause with Suzuki, KK, and Danault, there is no room for him as a centre in the top 9. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't see the point in trading for RNH, if our idea is that we have to trade Domi cause with Suzuki, KK, and Danault, there is no room for him as a centre in the top 9. 

Right. Trading for a player who adds value to your roster, and who as a bonus happens to be pals with a desirable UFA. that's one thing. Trading for that player primarily because it's part of a scheme to lure that UFA, even though the move doesn't really make sense on its own terms? No thanks.

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Here's a first I agree with you Commandant . Don't see why we trade a problem for another problem.  If the habs don't see Domi as a 5mil plus type of player and feel he's expendable with the depth we now have at center then we trade Him but not for  a center. All signs is Hall is going to play for his home town anyway. Theirs some really key names out in free agency i think we should target instead of Hall. 

Would like to see what a package of Domi/Byron could bring us.

If we can land Krug, I would also go after Dadonov and toffoli. They will add depth and scoring to our forwards group along with who ever we can get in the Domi trade.

Tatar  / Suzuki  /Gallagher 

Dadonov  / Kotkaniemi  / ?

Toffoli  / Danault  / Drouin 

Lehkonen  / Poehling  / Armia 

Krug  / Weber

Romanov  /Petry 

Chiarot  / Kulak 

15 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Here's a first I agree with you Commandant . Don't see why we trade a problem for another problem.  If the habs don't see Domi as a 5mil plus type of player and feel he's expendable with the depth we now have at center then we trade Him but not for  a center. All signs is Hall is going to play for his home town anyway. Theirs some really key names out in free agency i think we should target instead of Hall. 

If we can land Krug, I would also go after Dadonov and toffoli. The will add depth and scoring to our forwards group.

Tatar  / Suzuki  /Gallagher 

Dadonov  / Kotkaniemi  / Drouin 

Toffoli  / Danault  / Armia 

Lehkonen  / Weal / Poehling 

Krug  / Weber

Romanov  /Petry 

Chiarot  / Kulak 

Could be a pretty good team with depth all around. I would trade Byron to clear more cap space. Maybe even package Byron and domi see what we can get.

-Weal over Evans at C? I dont think so. I wouldnt be suprised if Weal is waived or dumped

-Byron is the perfect bottom 6 player. I think hes an integral piece right now to a team built on speed. (one of the fastest players in the league)

-Dadanov is a great RW that id be interested in at the right price/ term

-Toffoli is to soft and a perimeter player for my liking (we have that type of player already) no thanks

-Tatar Danault Gallagher are established as a top line 5on5. I think they stick together as we try and add to the other lines.

I see the season starting with 

Drouin Suzuki Armia

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Its the KK line and 4th line that will get worked on currently

Domi*   KK  NOBODY 

Byron Evans* Lehkonan

*needs a contarct

trade bait*

Weal (possibly waived)

hudon FA offered a contract and waived

Belzile FA offered a contract and waived

I still think MB and Kovalchuk have a deal in place (wink wink/handshake deal)...

Again, just my thoughts that he will play on one wing accompanied by a substantial upgrade to the top 9 .

maybe the Russians are back in la belle province

Kovalchuk (LW)

Dadanov (RW)

Romanov (LD)

and Domi gets traded for a prospect and a pick that we are told by some MB is not in a position to trade for (a ridiculous thought btw)

Ta-Da-Ga

Dr-Su-Ar 

Ko-KK-Da ( a surprisingly BIG line)

By-Ev-Le

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

-Weal over Evans at C? I dont think so. I wouldnt be suprised if Weal is waived or dumped

-Byron is the perfect bottom 6 player. I think hes an integral piece right now to a team built on speed. (one of the fastest players in the league)

-Dadanov is a great RW that id be interested in at the right price/ term

-Toffoli is to soft and a perimeter player for my liking (we have that type of player already) no thanks

-Tatar Danault Gallagher are established as a top line 5on5. I think they stick together as we try and add to the other lines.

I see the season starting with 

Drouin Suzuki Armia

Tatar Danault Gallagher

Its the KK line and 4th line that will get worked on currently

Domi*   KK  NOBODY 

Byron Evans* Lehkonan

*needs a contarct

trade bait*

Weal (possibly waived)

hudon FA offered a contract and waived

Belzile FA offered a contract and waived

I still think MB and Kovalchuk have a deal in place (wink wink/handshake deal)...

Again, just my thoughts that he will play on one wing accompanied by a substantial upgrade to the top 9 .

maybe the Russians are back in la belle province

Kovalchuk (LW)

Dadanov (RW)

Romanov (LD)

and Domi gets traded for a prospect and a pick that we are told by some MB is not in a position to trade for (a ridiculous thought btw)

Ta-Da-Ga

Dr-Su-Ar 

Ko-KK-Da ( a surprisingly BIG line)

By-Ev-Le

Yeah I kinda of edited my post as you were replying to it.  I took weal out and put in Poehling as that 4th  line center. Would rather trade Byron and free up that cap space. I mention maybe a package deal of Domi and Byron can bring us in a top 6 LW/RW.  If we land a top 6 LW/RW in trade than yeah I wouldn't go after Toffoli but I do like Dadanov a lot and think he would fit in well in our line up. 

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah I kinda of edited my post I took weal out and put in Poehling as that 3rd line center. Would rather trade Byron and free up that cap space. I mention maybe a package deal of Domi and Byron can bring us in a top 6 LW/RW.

Honestly, I would rather try to trade Dome and Poehling to a team that has cap issues, and keep Byron. The speed is good!

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Honestly, I would rather try to trade Dome and Poehling to a team that has cap issues, and keep Byron. The speed is good!

Byron been to inconsistent since he was given that contract. Don't think we need him as much anymore. Would rather free up that cap space for someone else.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

We are so quick to dump Poehling... What if Danault has a superb season and prices himself out of Montreal? Could be a very likely scenario.

Of course, if a combination of Domi/ Poehling and a pick brings us a Laine then were do I sign. 

If we can build a team that rolls 4 lines and that Lehkonan and Byron are skating on that 4th line  then this team is REALLY heading in the right direction!!

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Byron been to inconsistent since he was given that contract. Don't think we need him as much anymore. Would rather free up that cap space for someone else.

I am not seeing what your seeing. I saw a player this season who was doing everything right in the early season but for scoring on his chances (snakebitten). We were also a team that was 11-6 and rolling before he and Drouin went down together. Those 2 players help define the habs as a speed team. Armia followed them to the infirmary a couple days later and the season that started so promising quickly spiralled out of control. Thats what i saw.

Sure hes battled some shoulder issues as well. But our record with him in and out of the line up is actually substantial. Now b4 someone says hes just a 3rd/4th liner... Hes not the end all be all. I personally think he brings alot to this team similar to how gallagher does. Obviously minus the 30 goals

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

We are so quick to dump Poehling...

Yes, seems that way for some reason.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I am not seeing what your seeing. I saw a player this season who was doing everything right in the early season but for scoring on his chances (snakebitten). We were also a team that was 11-6 and rolling before he and Drouin went down together. Those 2 players help define the habs as a speed team. Armia followed them to the infirmary a couple days later and the season that started so promising quickly spiralled out of control. Thats what i saw.

Ditto.

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... We were also a team that was 11-6 and rolling before he and Drouin went down together ...

They were hot, but it doesn't mean that was sustainable, even absent the injuries ... the 82 game projection would be 106 points ... but NEITHER were they as bad as the two 8 game losing streaks (both were actually 9 of 10) ... 

Byron is a heart and soul kind of player ... he has been GREAT value ... but his extension kicked in this season ... at 100% he would still be good value @ $3.4M but he missed 26 games in 2018/19 and 42 of 71 games this past season ... at 31 years of age, if they can use him in a package to get a legit upgrade on a top 6 wing (or top 4 LHD) then trade him ... if he has another injury plagued season it will be the proverbial season too late ... but DO NOT trade him just to trade him ... he is too good for that.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Byron is a heart and soul kind of player ... he has been GREAT value ... but his extension kicked in this season ... at 100% he would still be good value @ $3.4M but he missed 26 games in 2018/19 and 42 of 71 games this past season ... at 31 years of age, if they can use him in a package to get a legit upgrade on a top 6 wing (or top 4 LHD) then trade him ... if he has another injury plagued season it will be the proverbial season too late ... but DO NOT trade him just to trade him ... he is too good for that.

Oh yeah, 31 ... somehow I was thinking that he was still in the late 20s, but clearly that image is out of date. I shall moderate my desire to keep him in the lineup!

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Oh yeah, 31 ... somehow I was thinking that he was still in the late 20s, but clearly that image is out of date. I shall moderate my desire to keep him in the lineup!

Is Byron the Habs equivalent to Kerfoot in Toronto?

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Is Byron the Habs equivalent to Kerfoot in Toronto?

Similar ice time (when looking at the last four seasons for Byron ... two healthy, two not ... versus 2019/20 in TO for kerfoot)

Similar salary ($3.4 for PB versus $3.5 Kerfoot)

Kerfoot heavier,  fairly certain Byron is faster 

Byron a slightly better scorer (19.5 vs 15.8 per 82)

Big difference is that Kerfoot is 5 yrs younger