Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

12 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I like those names except for Tarasenko.  I wonder how much truth there is to the rumours that the Habs are talking to the Jets about Laine? That would be a huge upgrade up front. Obviously I think it would be very expensive to get Laine out of Winnipeg...probably something like Domi, Romanov and a very high pick (2nd round pick, maybe even a first round pick). What do y'all think?  I also Like Huberdeau...it's just that he's already 27 years old...we would only be getting 5-6 "good" years out of him!

I don't think that's nearly enough for what Winnipeg would want for Laine. I would expect Winnipeg would want a 1st and Romanov and maybe Petry. Players like Laine don't come along too often and I don't think you're getting him for a 2nd line centre, a prospect and a 1st or 2nd rounder.  

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

I don't think that's nearly enough for what Winnipeg would want for Laine. I would expect Winnipeg would want a 1st and Romanov and maybe Petry. Players like Laine don't come along too often and I don't think you're getting him for a 2nd line centre, a prospect and a 1st or 2nd rounder.  

The "talk" seems to be that Laine would be dangled to get a top pairing defenceman to improve the team now, and not as part of a rebuild for picks and prospects

13 hours ago, Habsfan said:

... I also Like Huberdeau...it's just that he's already 27 years old...we would only be getting 5-6 "good" years out of him!

Assuming you are not "tongue-in-cheek" about this, 5-6 good years for a 28g/82gm (last three seasons) LW with decent size to pair with KK or Suzuki sounds awfully good to me

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Standard value in these trades is a 4th or a 5th. 

Agreed ... if necessary, I could understand MB adding a 2021 3rd if Krug signs ... Krug is not IMO a Norris-level defenceman, but he would definitely provide something missing on the Habs left-side ... downside is that he may expect to be paid at the Norris-level and Petry is due next season.

Where is the talk that winnipeg will only trade Laine for a top dman? Nowhere that I've seen. They need a 2C just as bad...

And they will have to sacrifice a player because they don't have much of picks or prospects.

Romanov should not be included in any trade and im confident MB will not let our best Dman prospect go for a forward again.

23 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Where is the talk that winnipeg will only trade Laine for a top dman? Nowhere that I've seen. They need a 2C just as bad...

And they will have to sacrifice a player because they don't have much of picks or prospects.

Romanov should not be included in any trade and im confident MB will not let our best Dman prospect go for a forward again.

Just saying what I've read/heard ... Winnipeg lost Byfuglien, Chiarot, Myers and Trouba from 2018/19 (4 of top 5 TOI ) to 19/20 and really only added Neal Poink ... they reportedly would not be looking for a prospect like Romanov but a proven Top 3 defenceman ... don't disagree that they need a 2C as well ... where Domi could well fit ... just that a Domi centred trade (pun intended) not likely to pry Laine loose  

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Domi + Chiarot + prospect? Although Chiarot does have a modified NTC ...

One never knows...but I suspect to land a big fish like Laine you're going to need to give back some elite or near-elite assets. I could see Domi + Petry + pick being of some interest, but Petry's age and contract status would probably kibosh the deal.

5 hours ago, REV-G said:

Winnipeg is not trading Laine for anything less than a top pairing dman with either term or control.

Petry is out - 1 year left. I’d be surprised if Winnipeg wasn’t on his exclusion list on his limited NTC.  I’d be even more surprised if he was willing to sign long term.

Romanov can be a piece, but is not nearly enough.  Maybe with a first and Caufield.  Which I wouldn’t want to do.

the only player on our roster that works is Weber.  Doesn’t have a NTC, signed long term.  Wouldn’t be enough on his own to get a deal done though. Maybe Domi and Weber? Addresses their need for D and a 2nd line centre.  Larger deal could be Laine and Ehlers for Weber, Domi and Mete.

we would have a big hole on D, either way, but could try using picks and Drouin to get OEL from Arizona. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... if necessary, I could understand MB adding a 2021 3rd if Krug signs ... Krug is not IMO a Norris-level defenceman, but he would definitely provide something missing on the Habs left-side ... downside is that he may expect to be paid at the Norris-level and Petry is due next season.

I thought you can’t have conditional picks on players resigning anymore?

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Winnipeg is not trading Laine for anything less than a top pairing dman with either term or control.

Petry is out - 1 year left. I’d be surprised if Winnipeg wasn’t on his exclusion list on his limited NTC.  I’d be even more surprised if he was willing to sign long term.

Romanov can be a piece, but is not nearly enough.  Maybe with a first and Caufield.  Which I wouldn’t want to do.

the only player on our roster that works is Weber.  Doesn’t have a NTC, signed long term.  Wouldn’t be enough on his own to get a deal done though. Maybe Domi and Weber? Addresses their need for D and a 2nd line centre.  Larger deal could be Laine and Ehlers for Weber, Domi and Mete.

we would have a big hole on D, either way, but could try using picks and Drouin to get OEL from Arizona. 

I tend to agree with your analysis of what would tempt Winnipeg, but MB is not trading Weber. Especially not for a guy who has been a bit of a "problem." The only time he doesn't care about "character" is when he's trading away a stud defensive prospect for a francophone #6 FW. I will be shocked if Weber does not "age out" in Montreal, much as Chara has done in Boston.

99.99% sure Laine ain't gonna be a Hab.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I might quibble about the number of nines in the probability estimate, but I agree that it's quite unlikely. It'd be wonderful but I sure hope Bergevin has other ideas that he is working on as well.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

I might quibble about the number of nines in the probability estimate, but I agree that it's quite unlikely. It'd be wonderful but I sure hope Bergevin has other ideas that he is working on as well.

The problem is that they reportedly want impact, NHL-ready D. We have two guys who qualify, one who MB almost certainly will not trade, and the other locked up only for one more year. The rest of our D is middling-to-mediocre at best. There's no fit. On your wider point, yes, it may be a propitious year to either sign or peel away an impact player from another club in cap/revenue purgatory. We'll see...

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree with your analysis of what would tempt Winnipeg, but MB is not trading Weber. Especially not for a guy who has been a bit of a "problem." The only time he doesn't care about "character" is when he's trading away a stud defensive prospect for a francophone #6 FW. I will be shocked if Weber does not "age out" in Montreal, much as Chara has done in Boston.

Oh, I agree that I don’t see MB trading Weber, or Laine becoming a Hab.  Just saying what I would like to see happen what I think it would take to get Laine.  

I actually think the following factors provide one of the few opportunities for a team to overpay for Weber and make a deal where we could get a dynamic young player entering his prime for a guy who is probably nearing the final few years of being an elite player:

1) Winnipeg’s situation with at D after they were decimated by the loss of Trouba, Myers and Byfuglien, sling with losing depth in Chariot

2) difficulty in signing UFA’s (probably close  to last in a desired destination to live in among NHL cities)

3) Weber’s contract (signed long term), would be seen as a liability for most, but for a team having trouble attracting or retaining UFA‘s.  Another bonus is reduced actual salary in dollars in later years

4) Domi would fill the need as a second centre and may be a great fit.  He was born there, his dad played there and Domi  potentially may be willing to resign to play in a Canadian market.

again, i can’t see it happening, but I’ve been waiting since Lafleur for the Canadiens to get a dominant and elite offensive player.  We’ve had a lot of B level offensive players, but no one that could be considered and be of the best scorers in the game.  Who knows Laine May have peaked early, but I don’t think there is a better wing we available than him.

its nice to dream of getting Laine than the usual backup goalie or depth player.  I think we may finally have found our centres in KK and Suzuki.  Would be nice to surround them with truly elite wingers.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is that they reportedly want impact, NHL-ready D. We have two guys who qualify, one who MB almost certainly will not trade, and the other locked up only for one more year. The rest of our D is middling-to-mediocre at best. There's no fit. On your wider point, yes, it may be a propitious year to either sign or peel away an impact player from another club in cap/revenue purgatory. We'll see...

I think this is probably the best time to trade Weber and Gallagher.

yiu nice Weber for a young dominant winger.  You package Gallagher (who’s got 1 yr left on a bargain deal), with other assets and we might be able to get a young dominant young D prospects.  I can see a team like the oilers severely over-paying for him. If that’s too big of a change (hard to move a guy who plays as hard as Gallagher), I think OEL is an option.

9 hours ago, REV-G said:

Agreed in that what I had proposed didn't feel like it would be enough to get Laine out of Winnipeg. However, I do disagree with you on the fact that Domi couldn't be a major part of a trade for Laine. He would be a perfect fit in Winnipeg.  Maybe we would have to give Domi, Petry and a 1st round pick...and maybe even have to add a young dman like Fleury...

I also agree that we shouldn't trade Romanov, but you know what they say, you gotta give something to get something!

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Assuming you are not "tongue-in-cheek" about this, 5-6 good years for a 28g/82gm (last three seasons) LW with decent size to pair with KK or Suzuki sounds awfully good to me

I guess what I was trying to say is that if I had to choose between Laine and Huberdeau, I think i'd prefer Laine. Mostly because of his age. I agree that over the past 3 seasons, Huberdeau has been pretty dominant! Would love to see him in a Habs jersey, but what would we have to give up to get him? Would it be as costly as getting Laine?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree with your analysis of what would tempt Winnipeg, but MB is not trading Weber. Especially not for a guy who has been a bit of a "problem."

Agreed. MB is way too in love with Weber. I like Weber, but not like MB does! 

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I thought you can’t have conditional picks on players resigning anymore?

That's a good point.  I only thought of it as deadline deals prohibiting that condition but presumably it'd have to be the same for all.  It'd have to be a straight pick for rights swap then.

Seems there is a chance that the Domi trade proposals/"rumours" may morph into Danault proposals/rumours ... depends on what the team receiving teams want ... Domi's offence likely a bit better going forward ... after 18/19 I don't think that is the "real" Domi but I do think he could be a dependable 20 goal/55 point guy ... Danault more of a dependable 12g/45 point guy but obviously much more on the defensive end ... it could also be that MB using trade inquiries to try to gauge Danault's value to inform contract negotiations.

My issue would not be losing Danault as much as not having someone who has experienced the demands of the 1C role to insulate KK and Suzuki for at least this season ... not a fan of the "throw them in the deep end" approach

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My issue would not be losing Danault as much as not having someone who has experienced the demands of the 1C role to insulate KK and Suzuki for at least this season ... not a fan of the "throw them in the deep end" approach

Yeah. Our centres would consist of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Evans and Poehling. Potentially not bad (although that might mean Evans on the checking line and Domi still back on the fourth) but none of them have serious experience as a top-line centreman.

3 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I guess what I was trying to say is that if I had to choose between Laine and Huberdeau, I think i'd prefer Laine. Mostly because of his age. I agree that over the past 3 seasons, Huberdeau has been pretty dominant! Would love to see him in a Habs jersey, but what would we have to give up to get him? Would it be as costly as getting Laine?

Jets if they trade Laine it's going to be for D which is their biggest need. So unless it's Weber or Petry going the other way we don't have what they need,

1 hour ago, DON said:

Same, maybe Suzuki and Petry and a 1st

No way do I move Suzuki for Huberdeau even straight up.  We have been dying for a centre with his potential.  I also don’t think Florida would be interested in Petry either.  They have quite a bit of money on the blue line and can’t see them wanting someone who will be a UFA