Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No, no, of course, Lehkonen is a fine player. A prototypical 3rd line, checking FW. I meant that he is sewage offensively, which is correct. And if Danault is looking at wingers like that, he is probably going "holy cow...I'll be lucky to get 35 points next season"

Fair enough, thanks. I do wonder whether Lehkonen might be able to benefit from Tim Turk's lessons (or someone else similar) to improve his shooting.

But, in the end, Lehkonen's shooting isn't much worse than any of our other top-nine forwards: almost all were between 9% and 9.9% in the regular season, with few exceptions:

• Tatar at 13.6% (career average 13.7%)
  • Kotkaniemi 10.9% (but small sample size)
  • Armia 10.3%

So, no, we have no snipers -- Tatar is as good as we have at the moment. And Kovalchuk (9.7% for the Habs_ doesn't look like the solution any more, either.

Not a trade for which I would strongly advocate, but I wonder if MB has any interest in Ryan Suter (subject to a NMC) ... like Weber (apparently a good friend, for what little that is worth) he is 35 and like Weber he is really only "paid"  for 20/21 and 21/22 ($8M and $6M real salary) ... the last three years of his deal are for $2M, $1M and $1M (Weber is $6M, $6M, $3M, $1M, $1M and $1M) ... have to wonder if either will finish their contracts ... would Suter see habs as a better chance to win than the Wild?  ... a trade would give the Wild tons of cap space and save salary $$$ this year and next (if GM/ownership prioritizes either at the moment) ... would be clearly a "win now" move ... 

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not a trade for which I would strongly advocate, but I wonder if MB has any interest in Ryan Suter (subject to a NMC) ... like Weber (apparently a good friend, for what little that is worth) he is 35 and like Weber he is really only "paid"  for 20/21 and 21/22 ($8M and $6M real salary) ... the last three years of his deal are for $2M, $1M and $1M (Weber is $6M, $6M, $3M, $1M, $1M and $1M) ... have to wonder if either will finish their contracts ... would Suter see habs as a better chance to win than the Wild?  ... a trade would give the Wild tons of cap space and save salary $$$ this year and next (if GM/ownership prioritizes either at the moment) ... would be clearly a "win now" move ... 

Well, they just added Nick Bjugstad basically for free so they're not trying to free up money at the moment.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Well, they just added Nick Bjugstad basically for free so they're not trying to free up money at the moment.

Hadn't seen that move ... but Suter was just a random idea

EDIT: They didn't pick up too much in AAV ... Pittsburgh retained the maximum 50% ($2.05) of the $4.1M AAV (and $2.625M of the $5.25M actual salary for 20/21)

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It looks like there is a conditional pick involved.  Didn’t they get rid of those?

i’m also surprised the Pens are retaining salary.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It looks like there is a conditional pick involved.  Didn’t they get rid of those?

From what was said early it is only "conditional on signing" that are banned 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

From what was said early it is only "conditional on signing" that are banned 

Ok. Thanks.  That makes more sense, since now that I recall, players didn’t like them, since their negotiating power may be reduced as free agents. 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I love Domi, but I easily keep Danault over Domi... not even close. 

It’s not a question of who you’d rather keep -that’s pretty clear.  The questions are:

1. Who are you getting for a package that includes Danault vs Domi?

2. What is it going to cost to resign Domi vs Danault and for what term?

3. Do you think you can resign Danault?  Does he want to resign if has to take on a role where he is playing with less talented/offensive wingers?

the hockey news had a story trying to compare the Danault situation with O’Reilly and what MB should learn from the Sabres mistake. However, it is not the same situation at all. O’Reilly was signed long term and was in a defined role as the clear cut #2 centre.  He was moved because management didn’t like his comments after another crap year and did the type of rash stupid move that the habs have made over the past 30 years because they didn’t like what a player said, did or how he behaved, going all the way back to Chelios and Carbonneau. Like those moves, the Sabres made a dumb trade giving up the best player for lessor parts, to improve the attitude/culture and it blew up in their face.  

On the other hand, the habs can make a move where Danault is part of a package, but they are getting the better player and fill a major need (elite top line scoring winger, or elite young puck top pairing puck moving dman, you make the deal.  Hell, if someone is willing to overpay for Gallagher’s mix of grit and skill and we get the better player, you make that deal.  

let’s say Calgary has no interest in Domi, but is willing to offer Gaudreau, Monohon and Hanafin (a few of the players in the local rumours), for Danault, Gallagher and Chariot.  I’d make that move anytime.  Not saying such an offer would be available, or is on the table, just saying,

you make the move guys like Danault or Gallagher who are on expiring contracts, if that is going to get you players that can provide more scoring and fill needs.  
offensively Gaudreau > Gallagher 

grit Gaudreau < Gallagher 

Offensively Monohon > Danault

defensivley Monohon < Danault 

Hanafin > Chariot

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

i’m also surprised the Pens are retaining salary.

He has been injured so much that they had to pay half the contract to give it away for free.  Bjugstad has to get 35 points or play in 70 games for Pittsburgh to get the 7th.

Wonder if Oilers (14th) or Panthers (12th) would swap pick for 16th & 48th? If Habs did want to move up a for specific player.

Oilers have no 2nd.

Panthers may be retooling and want an extra 2nd?

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Wonder if Oilers (14th) or Panthers (12th) would swap pick for 16th & 48th? If Habs did want to move up a for specific player.

Oilers have no 2nd.

That would be a waste of a 2nd round pick on a player who you don't know how he will develop. I would rather try and trade the 2nd round pick in a package and get a roster player that could help the team now.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Oilers have no 2nd.

10 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That would be a waste of a 2nd round pick on a player who you don't know how he will develop. I would rather try and trade the 2nd round pick in a package and get a roster player that could help the team now.

All depends on who "falls" in the draft

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Oilers have no 2nd.

If it is a late second, sure. But only for a sure bet at 12th or 14th

23 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But only for a sure bet at 12th or 14th

I was specifically thinking Jack Quinn; Habs need more scoring up front, 52g in 62gms and supposedly he is good in own end as well.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

I was specifically thinking Jack Quinn; Habs need more scoring up front, 52g in 62gms and supposedly he is good in own end as well.

He certainly is tempting ... an outstanding question for me is how does the Quinn/Rossi dynamic play out in terms of NHL success ... Quinn took a BIG jump this season, from 12 goals to 52, while Rossi had an excellent 29 goal rookie season and a more normal progression to 39 goals ... makes me think of MacKinnon's progression from 31 goals to 42 (adjusted for 14 fewer games second season) while Drouin took a BIG jump from 7g to 49g and then dropped to 29g sans Nate ... There is also the CHL "bias" factor in that players produce higher stats in the CHL than do players in the European leagues ... for example, despite very unimpressive statistics might a player like Gunler be a better future NHLer than Quinn?

Think this is going to be a FUN draft ... a player, or two (or three?), generally projected to be top 10 could be available in the early to mid-teens.

17 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Any interest in Phil Kessel?

More importantly, does Kessel have any interest in the Habs?

Phil has just had his first sub 20g/82gm season since his second season in Boston ... was it the move from Pittsburgh ... the lack of offensive depth with the 'Yotes ...  or is just a sign of the future>

I have never been a fan of Phil, so unless Arizona is giving him away I'd prefer to look elsewhere.

As for Phil's interest ... he has an 8-team NTC ... I might GUESS it is Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and <who knows ... Minnesota because it is cold?> 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Think this is going to be a FUN draft ... a player, or two (or three?), generally projected to be top 10 could be available in the early to mid-teens.

As per capfriendly it is only 23days and 3 hours till draft.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

How are the 🌭 in Montreal🤔

The taxes may suck, the media may be overbearing, and the French factor may annoy anglos to no end...but we've got some very tasty hot dogs!   I think we'd have a solid shot at landing Kessel based on the hot dog factor.

45 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The taxes may suck, the media may be overbearing, and the French factor may annoy anglos to no end...but we've got some very tasty hot dogs!   I think we'd have a solid shot at landing Kessel based on the hot dog factor.

I had also bought into the argument that the taxes make a difference, until I heard Sergio Momesso (ex-Hab, color commentator for Habs radio) dismiss it

He said that what a player pays in taxes, it gets back when he fills his taxes because the combined games paid in the USA (for example) plus the off-season lived outside Quebec is higher.

I wish I understood the real story on the "higher taxes in Quebec" argument to be able to debunk it definitely 

via Gfycat

On 9/11/2020 at 11:44 PM, Commandant said:

I love Domi, but I easily keep Danault over Domi... not even close. 

I saw a poll result just now that has it as roughly a 66.x% vs 33.x%, or 2 to 1 in favour of keeping Danault over Domi. It’s good to see that at least 33% of the people agree with my side. 

I already know the all round capabilities of Danault, but Domi’s offensive potential is “potentially” the best out of any Hab. 

It’s easy to forget all that with the way this year and in particular the playoffs went, but when Domi continues to electrify next season, I’ll continue to feel the way I do now. Electrify and Danault will never be two words I will use in the same sentence. 

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I had also bought into the argument that the taxes make a difference, until I heard Sergio Momesso (ex-Hab, color commentator for Habs radio) dismiss it

He said that what a player pays in taxes, it gets back when he fills his taxes because the combined games paid in the USA (for example) plus the off-season lived outside Quebec is higher.

I wish I understood the real story on the "higher taxes in Quebec" argument to be able to debunk it definitely 

That is true if the player doesn't "reside" (i.e., where they must file taxes) in Quebec ... but how much they get back if they reside elsewhere varies by province/state ... and that money is still "out of pocket" until the refund is processed ... not an actual financial issue but for some perhaps a "psychological" annoyance.

Something I read the other day mentioned a factor that is rarely cited ... some/many players don't want to play in a cold weather city ... perhaps more-so if they have a family that will move with them.