Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Puljujarvi is the only winger I’d want from Edmonton.  I wonder if the following deal would work both sides:

Montreal gives up:

1.Domi - gives them centre depth/winger flexibility and grit

2. either budget D (Mete. Kulak) OR Byron to help address Edmonton’s need for speedy, secondary scoring:penalty killing wingers 

3. 1st round pick

In return from Edmonton:

1. Puljujarvi - could address need of scoring winger if he pans out

2. either Bouchard/Broberg

3. lavoie

4. Neal - salary dump that we could expose in the expansion draft, depending on his NTC status 

neal and Puljujarvi would be guys that can contribute on the wing for us next year and Puljujarvi may thrive playing with KK.  The others are at least a year away, but would not need to be protected in the expansion draft. 

thats a lot of prospects for Edmonton to give up, but they are one of the teams that had a very disappointing playoffs and may want to depth experience and dump Neal’s salary who’s play dropped off during the year.

Don't think the #16 pick is all that attractive to a team that is trying to win before McDavid and Draisaitl get fed up ... nor do I think Kulak or mete would be of great interest ... I like Puljujarvi but not certain he is more than a VERY good 3RW or average to disappointing 2RW ... without McDavid or Draisaitl I don't think that Neal is a top 6 winger any longer but will still eat up $5.75M for three seasons ... 

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't think the #16 pick is all that attractive to a team that is trying to win before McDavid and Draisaitl get fed up ... nor do I think Kulak or mete would be of great interest ... I like Puljujarvi but not certain he is more than a VERY good 3RW or average to disappointing 2RW ... without McDavid or Draisaitl I don't think that Neal is a top 6 winger any longer but will still eat up $5.75M for three seasons ... 

Ya, not a fan of trying to add that particular Finn or Neal.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nope, not good enough to my liking

I would not settle for anything less than a second line winger that would make Armia an excellent 3rd line winger.

Why set the bar low when we want this time to become a cup contender?

I agree I wouldn't take him too but just saying he is not a total loss and is a useful player as long you don't give up a lot to get him. Giving up Domi or a 1st is way too much to gamble on him. If I am trading a guy like domi and a 1st i better be getting back a top 4 player that's established in the league.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If that’s the consensus, why wouldn’t we retain part of Allen’s salary, up to 50% to get it done, and use that as a starting point for Puljujarvi?  Oilers are in the market for a goalie, are strapped for cash and Allen has better numbers than Smith and Koskinen.  He only has 1 more year left but so does Koskinen so if they do decide to resign him, they will have $6 mil plus from just Allen and Koskinen next offseason.

We get a RFA top-9 winger, potentially top-6, they get a cheap goaltender better than they currently have.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

If that’s the consensus, why wouldn’t we retain part of Allen’s salary, up to 50% to get it done, and use that as a starting point for Puljujarvi?  Oilers are in the market for a goalie, are strapped for cash and Allen has better numbers than Smith and Koskinen.  He only has 1 more year left but so does Koskinen so if they do decide to resign him, they will have $6 mil plus from just Allen and Koskinen next offseason.

We get a RFA top-9 winger, potentially top-6, they get a cheap goaltender better than they currently have.

Allen was obtained for a specific purpose ... to allow Price to play less than 80% of the games ... especially in a season that may be more compressed than usual (trying to work towards perhaps a "normal" schedule in 21/20 (more likely 21/22) ... trading him to add a couple of 3rd line wingers would not seem productive

Just now, GHT120 said:

Allen was obtained for a specific purpose ... to allow Price to play less than 80% of the games ... especially in a season that may be more compressed than usual (trying to work towards perhaps a "normal" schedule in 21/20 (more likely 21/22) ... trading him to add a couple of 3rd line wingers would not seem productive

That’s fair if that were the end of the moves. With Domi, Mete and a bunch of picks rumoured to be up for grabs, with a flat salary cap, teams looking to unload contracts and the market having some decent goaltenders being UFAs in a couple of weeks, I would be surprised if another backup couldn’t be found.

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That’s fair if that were the end of the moves. With Domi, Mete and a bunch of picks rumoured to be up for grabs, with a flat salary cap, teams looking to unload contracts and the market having some decent goaltenders being UFAs in a couple of weeks, I would be surprised if another backup couldn’t be found.

Perhaps ... but to me this is a "bird in the hand" situation ... the Habs obtained the best backup they have had in a decade or more ... and going into a season where a capable backup may be more important than ever ... the decent UFA goalies will likely be looking for a situation where they can get more than the 25-30 (max) games they can expect with the Habs ... trade Allen and they are back to Lindgren or Demchenko playing 15 games and Price being exhausted unless they get lucky on finding something better ... and on the trade front anyone as good would likely cost more than a 3rd and a swap of 7th (albeit 2020 versus 2022).

reading through this thread makes want to which Domi becomes as good a point producing winger as Tatar is. At his prjected cap hit, if he can get 25 goals and 50 points, I would be happy

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The Habs finally have an above average backup goalie.  Why are they trading that with retention to get a winger who could be an option on the third line?  He certainly isn't a top-six guy right now.  I don't think there are many in the NHL who think he ever will be either considering the lack of trade interest dating back to last summer.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs finally have an above average backup goalie.  Why are they trading that with retention to get a winger who could be an option on the third line?  He certainly isn't a top-six guy right now.  I don't think there are many in the NHL who think he ever will be either considering the lack of trade interest dating back to last summer.

With 2 young centres and Danault probably centring the 1st line, an offensive young kid on the 3rd line would be an asset.  I did a quick google on a scouting report and the only one not from 2016, has him projected to be a 1st/2nd line winger, I take that with a grain of salt naturally.  As for his value, he stated he wanted out, because of that his value tanked dramatically, circa Drouin pre-apologizing and making it seem like he still wanted to play in Tampa.  Teams won’t offer fair value in a situation like that and Edmonton wants nothing less than fair value.

I’m not sure I understand the notion of holding on to a 30 year old backup, even if he is above average, for a shot at a 22 year old 2nd/3rd line winger that has the potential to be a 1st line winger.  Realistically Allen won’t resign after next season anyway.  As for another backup, it’s going to be fairly easy to acquire or sign a decent backup with short term due to the cap situation.

18 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

With 2 young centres and Danault probably centring the 1st line, an offensive young kid on the 3rd line would be an asset.  I did a quick google on a scouting report and the only one not from 2016, has him projected to be a 1st/2nd line winger, I take that with a grain of salt naturally.  As for his value, he stated he wanted out, because of that his value tanked dramatically, circa Drouin pre-apologizing and making it seem like he still wanted to play in Tampa.  Teams won’t offer fair value in a situation like that and Edmonton wants nothing less than fair value.

I’m not sure I understand the notion of holding on to a 30 year old backup, even if he is above average, for a shot at a 22 year old 2nd/3rd line winger that has the potential to be a 1st line winger.  Realistically Allen won’t resign after next season anyway.  As for another backup, it’s going to be fairly easy to acquire or sign a decent backup with short term due to the cap situation.

I really want the habs to roll the dice for Puljujarvi, I get a Markus Naslund in Pittsburgh vibe about him.  I really think he will end up being a top line winger and from all reports has looked good in Europe.  In his draft year, he was supposed to be a more complete player than Laine.

I don’t think Allen is the way I’d approach the deal.  If we are going to roll the dice, I’d try and pry one of Edmonton’s stud D prospects (Bouchard or Broberg) and take on a salary like Neal if needed.  The only other player/prospect on the oilers I’m interested is Lavoie- but it would probably be a stretch to get 3 young prospects.

going the other way: Domi, Byron and one our young cheap dmen.  Add a 1st rounder if Lavoie is available.  Oilers can use that puck to fill other needs.

51 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I don't think he'd crack the third line though.  Regardless of what anyone else may think about Lehkonen and Byron, they have the trust of the coaching staff and would be ahead of Puljujarvi on the depth chart even though they'd be on their opposite wings.  He's not ahead of Gallagher or Armia and it certainly seems like Kovalchuk will be back as well based on everything that was said at the trade deadline.  He'd be on the fourth line and unhappy which is basically the situation he tried to leave in the first place.

I also don't see Puljujarvi reaching that type of potential.  If there was a team that did, they'd have traded for him by now.  And no one is really going to be excited about his scoring in Finland; yes, he did well, but the SM-liiga isn't a top-notch league in terms of competition level.  Edmonton wasn't asking for an established star for him last summer and they probably aren't now.  If they were offered a decent prospect, they'd probably do it.  If you really want Puljujarvi, that's the route to go.  Offer up Ryan Poehling (they need C depth) and you might get their attention.

I wouldn't assume the cap situation will make signing a good backup goalie easy either.  There's a reason the Habs made this move after looking into Devan Dubnyk.  They don't want a goalie with a multi-year deal and the good ones in free agency aren't going to sign for only one year.  I'm not saying Allen is untouchable but if they were going to move him, it would be for someone that's a lot more established than Puljujarvi.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

With 2 young centres and Danault probably centring the 1st line, an offensive young kid on the 3rd line would be an asset. 

Danault will play 3rd line + defensive faceoffs + PK and get lots of minutes, but Suzuki will be #1 centre also playing in 19 minute/gm range.

I’m not sure I understand the notion of holding on to a 30 year old backup, even if he is above average

Really, you just pointed it out why; abve average experienced and 1 year on contract in a year that Habs have ton of capspace, but wont next year with all resignings. 

Realistically Allen won’t resign after next season anyway. 

Who cares, 2021-22? Back up will be Primeau or some other 30 yr + old back up.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

... As for another backup, it’s going to be fairly easy to acquire or sign a decent backup with short term due to the cap situation.

MB has been selling that line since he started ... Allen is the first one I can think of.

So here's a idea when it comes to a Domi trade. Would people be upset if Bergevin packages Domi and our 16th pick to move into the to 10 if there was a top scoring winger available to be picked?  I think that they're some good winger's available in free agency that maybe we don't need to trade for one. But we could trade up to try and draft another young scoring winger. Just food for thought.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Puuljujarvi, but I don't want to see the Habs pay what it would probably take to get him out of Edmonton.  It's really hard to pin down his value.  Hard to know what his ceiling might be.  Likely middle 6.  If Edmonton were willing to take a 3rd rounder and a conditional pick based on Puuljujarvi's performance (point totals), I wouldn't be opposed to it.  The idea for buyers is to not overpay, while the seller wants to get fair value as well.

40 minutes ago, John B said:

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Puuljujarvi, but I don't want to see the Habs pay what it would probably take to get him out of Edmonton.  It's really hard to pin down his value.  Hard to know what his ceiling might be.  Likely middle 6.  If Edmonton were willing to take a 3rd rounder and a conditional pick based on Puuljujarvi's performance (point totals), I wouldn't be opposed to it.  The idea for buyers is to not overpay, while the seller wants to get fair value as well.

Like I’ve posted before, I’d be willing to offer more, IF we can get one of their young D.  I really  think that if we could get one of their prized D’s if we took a contract like Neal.  I really think Puljujarvi will flourish outside of Edmonton and if he pans out we could have a solid top 4 wingers with wingers with Gallagher, Puljujarvi, Drouin and  Caufield in two years.

11 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

So here's a idea when it comes to a Domi trade. Would people be upset if Bergevin packages Domi and our 16th pick to move into the to 10 if there was a top scoring winger available to be picked?  I think that they're some good winger's available in free agency that maybe we don't need to trade for one. But we could trade up to try and draft another young scoring winger. Just food for thought.

Don’t like.

from what I’ve ready none of the scoring wingers in the draft will be impactful next season or the year after.

That is too long for the Habs, whether admitted or not they have a 1-2 year window if they add immediate, consistent scoring.

Both on PP and 5v5.

I believe this means a trade or free agent target.

other posters have mentioned many of the names. Plus, I think there will be more opportunity for this than usual given the economic downturn for the league.

This is huge given they also have cap flexibility to do it and a kick ass wall of défense (again in a window)

immediate scoring help is not coming Via draft unless you have #1.

Immediate scoring help is all that keeps the Habs from being a cup contender with current d/goalie/core forwards (including Danault, not Domi)

3 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Don’t like.

from what I’ve ready none of the scoring wingers in the draft will be impactful next season or the year after.

That is too long for the Habs, whether admitted or not they have a 1-2 year window if they add immediate, consistent scoring.

Both on PP and 5v5.

I believe this means a trade or free agent target.

other posters have mentioned many of the names. Plus, I think there will be more opportunity for this than usual given the economic downturn for the league.

This is huge given they also have cap flexibility to do it and a kick ass wall of défense (again in a window)

immediate scoring help is not coming Via draft unless you have #1.

Immediate scoring help is all that keeps the Habs from being a cup contender with current d/goalie/core forwards (including Danault, not Domi)

That’s why I’d rather move our pick and Domi for high end prospects closer to KK and Suzuki’s age, should be ready faster.

9 hours ago, John B said:

Habs need a consistent scoring threat, not Pulijarvi or whatever it is.

Why open the door to another project when there are proven commodities available and we have the budget, cap flexibility to get a proven commodity.

pulijarvi has had a shot, many shots and doesn’t even dominate in AHL, the last thing the Habs need is more middle 6 depth, we got that is spades.

so many better options, not sure why anyone even thinks of this dud.

a top set of wingers mentioned above of Gallagher (love but know his lifespan is dwindling quickly) Drouin ( no thanks, too inconsistentent), Caulfield (looks great but too early to call and small AF), pulijarvi ? WTF would make anyone think he will be reliable and this group of forwards would be a joke to play against other than Gallagher, would be boxed out all the time.

Brutal tip four wingers there.

Add on the financial impact of taking on bad contract? We don’t need an Oilers dman, our d is solid for another 2-3 seasons- especially next season.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s why I’d rather move our pick and Domi for high end prospects closer to KK and Suzuki’s age, should be ready faster.

That's my thinking, too. And it's why I threw Puljujarvi's name out there, though he may not be the right candidate. I'd love to get Laine but I suspect this is not realistic, so who could be made available?

• Winger (or maybe centre)
  • Capable of 30+ goals per year
  • Under 25
  • The team is willing to move him

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think he'd crack the third line though.  Regardless of what anyone else may think about Lehkonen and Byron, they have the trust of the coaching staff and would be ahead of Puljujarvi on the depth chart even though they'd be on their opposite wings.  He's not ahead of Gallagher or Armia and it certainly seems like Kovalchuk will be back as well based on everything that was said at the trade deadline.  He'd be on the fourth line and unhappy which is basically the situation he tried to leave in the first place.

I also don't see Puljujarvi reaching that type of potential.  If there was a team that did, they'd have traded for him by now.  And no one is really going to be excited about his scoring in Finland; yes, he did well, but the SM-liiga isn't a top-notch league in terms of competition level.  Edmonton wasn't asking for an established star for him last summer and they probably aren't now.  If they were offered a decent prospect, they'd probably do it.  If you really want Puljujarvi, that's the route to go.  Offer up Ryan Poehling (they need C depth) and you might get their attention.

I wouldn't assume the cap situation will make signing a good backup goalie easy either.  There's a reason the Habs made this move after looking into Devan Dubnyk.  They don't want a goalie with a multi-year deal and the good ones in free agency aren't going to sign for only one year.  I'm not saying Allen is untouchable but if they were going to move him, it would be for someone that's a lot more established than Puljujarvi.

I think he’s not only got potential to crack the 2nd line, but be a top line winger.  I think Edmonton is a toxic environment.  Even Eberle was regressing there.  I think playing overseas he’s got his confidence back and he may take the same time of step KK did.  He really reminds me a lot of Markus Naslund who I really liked before he went to the Canucks. I wouldn’t try and make a 1 for 1 deal.  I think if we help out the oilers cap situation by taking a guy like Neal, Domi and Byron would be attractive to a team that wants NHL ready players and may give up one of their prizes D prospects. I don’t think that would be enough so you add the first rounder. Oilers may not want/need it, but it gives the. Currency to fill other holes.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed, There will

be some coming off

/ending entry Level deals that would have a more immediate impact, be a more es ta blushed commodity to evaluate as well.

learning to play pro is a big deal. Not every player adjusts as well or at all. It’s a grind, have family and friends who couldn’t cut the lifestyle (semi-pro, AHL type that Had a shot at the show, but couldn’t bring it every night with the travel, skilled competition every shift, physical/mental tolls.)
Prospects like mentioned have been through it and could make the step Up and contribute quicker.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's my thinking, too. And it's why I threw Puljujarvi's name out there, though he may not be the right candidate. I'd love to get Laine but I suspect this is not realistic, so who could be made available?

• Winger (or maybe centre)
  • Capable of 30+ goals per year
  • Under 25
  • The team is willing to move him

I think he may be the perfect guy to roll the dice and timing may be perfect.  I think Domi would be an overpay, but I’d be trying to get Broberg or Bouchard as part of the deal.would give us high end D prospects that should be no lower than top 4 when they are ready.  

qould also allow us to have prospects that are exempt from the expansion draft.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he’s not only got potential to crack the 2nd line, but be a top line winger.  I think Edmonton is a toxic environment.  Even Eberle was regressing there.  I think playing overseas he’s got his confidence back and he may take the same time of step KK did.  He really reminds me a lot of Markus Naslund who I really liked before he went to the Canucks. I wouldn’t try and make a 1 for 1 deal.  I think if we help out the oilers cap situation by taking a guy like Neal, Domi and Byron would be attractive to a team that wants NHL ready players and may give up one of their prizes D prospects. I don’t think that would be enough so you add the first rounder. Oilers may not want/need it, but it gives the. Currency to fill other holes.

That’s terrible idea.

there are known assets currently in the NHL available.

Can’t believe there is anyone interested in Pulijarvi at all.
Shows why we aren’t in the business haha.

There is obviously good cause for teamA that spend millions on pro scouting to have not touched the guy, and he isn’t that young.
Say what you want about Edmonton being toxic but Mtl will chew that kid up with the microcosm of being a hab, especially one who would come in with a lot of debate, criticism and skepticism, and some optimism but his track record doesn’t scream out that he has risen to a challenge in the past so doubt he would here and we’d be screaming to ship him out/send him to Laval.

so many try NHL’ers to be talked about, this is a waste of time.