Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That is certainly true.  I’m not sure if they can change his mind in the time before ufa. 

If he does want to come here I would be okay with KK going the other way because I agree with you that they are the same. I can’t imagine adding a Caufield to that, no way

You are going to have to add something significant cause PLD is close to being that player, a lot closer than KK is. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You are going to have to add something significant cause PLD is close to being that player, a lot closer than KK is. 

And that really begs the question of what the Blue Jackets' window is: now or in five years? If the latter, Kotkaniemi-plus makes sense. But if they want to win in the next few years, Danault-plus would make much more sense. (The size of the "plus" may vary, but the point is that Danault is a top 5-on-5 centre today, Kotkaniemi is some years away from his peak -- and arguably Dubois is not at his peak yet, either.)

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And that really begs the question of what the Blue Jackets' window is: now or in five years? If the latter, Kotkaniemi-plus makes sense. But if they want to win in the next few years, Danault-plus would make much more sense. (The size of the "plus" may vary, but the point is that Danault is a top 5-on-5 centre today, Kotkaniemi is some years away from his peak -- and arguably Dubois is not at his peak yet, either.)

Well, just for the sake of argument, what would "get 'er done?" Whenever I see "player X PLUS" I wonder about that plus. Danault + Drouin, perhaps?

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, just for the sake of argument, what would "get 'er done?" Whenever I see "player X PLUS" I wonder about that plus. Danault + Drouin, perhaps?

Danault is in the final year of his contract and about to be UFA, that kills his value in a trade for Dubois.   The plus is likely one of Caufield/Romanov AND the 2021 first round pick (lottery protected). 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Danault is in the final year of his contract and about to be UFA, that kills his value in a trade for Dubois.   The plus is likely one of Caufield/Romanov AND the 2021 first round pick (lottery protected). 

To trade Danault, I think it would need to be a sign-and-trade.

< should have read tomh's post first >

21 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

You’re  looking at KK plus Caufield or Romanov. Maybe toss in Byron and/or Mete to help with the cap.

20 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would do KK for PLD plus cap stuff but wouldn’t add a Caufield or Romanov 

I think that KK, Ylonen and a borderline D like Leskinen or Brook plus a second draft pick in 2021 should get the conversation going 

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think that KK, Ylonen and a borderline D like Leskinen or Brook plus a second draft pick in 2021 should get the conversation going 

That I would consider. 

My issue is that PLD is not an upgrade on what we have ( maybe a bit of an upgrade right now but not in a couple of years)   

Why pay a premium to move sideways? 

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That I would consider. 

My issue is that PLD is not an upgrade on what we have ( maybe a bit of an upgrade right now but not in a couple of years)   

because he is NOW what we *hope* KK becomes 

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If im columbus thats a no.

You have to.gove up something that will hurt to.give up.  Just throwing in leskinen and 2nd round picks does nothing.  24 year old AHL defencemen who cant play in the NHL are a dime a dozen.  Quantity does not replace quality 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That I would consider. 

There is no guarantee that KK becomes as good as PLD is right now.  We hope he does, but we hoped the same for Lars Eller.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is no guarantee that KK becomes as good as PLD is right now.  We hope he does, but we hoped the same for Lars Eller.

ouch, that memory hurts 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

... You have to.gove up something that will hurt to.give up ...

EXACTLY ... I have always felt/said that any proposed trade that is easy to accept almost certainly that means your team isn't giving up enough ... unless Mike Milbury or Rejean Houle is the other GM ... then maybe the offer too rich.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ouch, that memory hurts 

We have a long list of hyped young players who disappointed in the end, not just Eller.

That's why I always take a "show me" attitude before assuming that guys who have never yet done anything are suddenly going to do something.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We have a long list of hyped young players who disappointed in the end, not just Eller.

That's why I always take a "show me" attitude before assuming that guys who have never yet done anything are suddenly going to do something.

And, in reality, so does every team in the league. Prospects are called that for a reason. They have potential but no guarantees.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And, in reality, so does every team in the league. Prospects are called that for a reason. They have potential but no guarantees.

While some teams do draft and develop better than others, there's a lot of truth in what you say. It may be true that the Habs have been disproprotionately disappointing on this front - that would be a question for investigation; if memory serves, under Timmins, we generally do a great job of generating NHLers and a substandard job of generating elite NHLers. But my real frustration regarding this is with fans who go all cowabunga for sexy prospects and young players (Savage, Bulis, Zubrus, Latendresse, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Galchenyuk, Eller, etc. - now KK, Poehling, and Caulfield) acting as though their ascent to stardom is absolutely inevitable. They get all excited about some hypothetical that generally fails to materialize.

One interesting corollary of this attitude is the tendency to attack the coach when the young player bombs, because it can never be the fault of the beloved anointed one. Remember the constant drama around Eller? "Why are the habs holding him back???" The answer is that he is a third-line plumber, and that's how they used him. Galchenyuk: "why isn't he a #1C?" The answer is that he has zero hockey sense and was a marginal player. The list goes on.

The rational attitude toward all but a very rarified handful of young players is at most cautious optimism, waiting to see how they do.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I remember your many posts making this point and I generally agree with you.

That is why I would prefer to trade KK for PLD instead of Danault.

I am not good enough of a forum-GM to propose the additional players to make the trade work (reason why I adopted the Mr Potatohead avatar)

who would you package ?

37 minutes ago, Neech said:

KK has to rehabilitate his value to be included in a package for PLD.  There's still a chance that they could become similar players in terms of production, but the gap is so wide right now.  

And, even if they were to eventually reach the same level, a gap should be expected for now as Dubois is pretty much in his prime at 22 while Kotkaniemi is still only 20.

My guess is that KK + Drouin would be taken very seriously by CBJ. The question is whether that's too rich a deal for our blood. It may well be. It's a pity that Danault is (as Commandant reminded me) on an expiring deal, because Danault/Drouin would entail less risk; less risk for both teams, in a weird way.

All this talk of Bergy potentially overpaying to add a homegrown talent to the roster is making me queasy.  This ill-advised practice already cost us a Sergachev for a Drouin 🤮

Would someone give up a 6th or 7th for Lindgren.

Demchenko or McNiven can be our Taxi squad goalie.

Primeau and Demchenko/McNiven to the AHL. 

we really don't need Lindgren.

The Devils are down a goalie with Crawford opting out. 

The Capitals are down a goalie with Lundqvist's heart issue. 

Hell, I'd be fine if someone grabs Lindgren on waivers, would like to just clear the deck so the other goalies can play. 

• Upvote 1