Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

That would mean exposing either Kinkaid or McNiven in the expansion draft since Demchenko will be exempt.

I would want Demchenko in the AHL where he will get some ice time, so it would be McNiven on the taxi squad.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That would mean exposing either Kinkaid or McNiven in the expansion draft since Demchenko will be exempt.

I would want Demchenko in the AHL where he will get some ice time, so it would be McNiven on the taxi squad.

Allen is the one being exposed.

You can only protect one goalie and we gave Allen a contract extension, so hes not UFA.

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Allen is the one being exposed.

You can only protect one goalie and we gave Allen a contract extension, so hes not UFA.

True ... and McNiven can/will also be exposed as all they need do is extend his RFA qualifying offer before the Habs submit their protected list.

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Would someone give up a 6th or 7th for Lindgren.

Demchenko or McNiven can be our Taxi squad goalie.

Primeau and Demchenko/McNiven to the AHL. 

we really don't need Lindgren.

The Devils are down a goalie with Crawford opting out. 

The Capitals are down a goalie with Lundqvist's heart issue. 

Hell, I'd be fine if someone grabs Lindgren on waivers, would like to just clear the deck so the other goalies can play. 

No one would trade for Lindgren when they can just claim him in the next few days.  (And there will be better goalies on waivers than him).  Washington has Vanecek and Copley who are probably better than Lindgren already while Craig Anderson is on a PTO.  New Jersey will need to add someone but they can claim someone like Dell.

The best option for a trade is for him to clear waivers and get sent to a team with a guy on a one-way deal coming back to Montreal.  Someone like Buffalo and J-S Dea comes to mind with Lindgren being their third-stringer, allowing their youngsters to play in Rochester.

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

All this talk of Bergy potentially overpaying to add a homegrown talent to the roster is making me queasy.  This ill-advised practice already cost us a Sergachev for a Drouin 🤮

I agree.  As much as Dubois is a good player, are the Habs prepared to duplicate the Sergachev trade simply because he is from chez nous?  If that is at the forefront, trading two local boys (Danault / Drouin) would defeat the purpose.

And trading either Danault+Drouin or Kotkaniemi+Drouin introduces a significant hole on the left side of our forward corps. Even if you are not a Drouin fan, the reality is that we don't have anyone to step in and take over. Byron is not the answer.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we should assume that any trade for Dubois will be an overpayment just cause the Drouin trade was. 

We got Danault in an absolute steal of a trade... so why are we focused on the bad trade to get a Quebecois and not the good one?

Seems to me we have a tiny sample size (2 bergevin trades) and one is a loss and the other is a win... so why assume that any trade for Dubois would be bad?

1 hour ago, Blazer said:

I agree.  As much as Dubois is a good player, are the Habs prepared to duplicate the Sergachev trade simply because he is from chez nous?  If that is at the forefront, trading two local boys (Danault / Drouin) would defeat the purpose.

Trading for Dubois is the only way that moving Danault and/or Drouin (not that I think that would get the deal done) doesn't trigger a knee-jerk reaction from the French media.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Would someone give up a 6th or 7th for Lindgren.

Demchenko or McNiven can be our Taxi squad goalie.

Primeau and Demchenko/McNiven to the AHL. 

we really don't need Lindgren.

The Devils are down a goalie with Crawford opting out. 

The Capitals are down a goalie with Lundqvist's heart issue. 

Hell, I'd be fine if someone grabs Lindgren on waivers, would like to just clear the deck so the other goalies can play. 

I was just thinking the same thing. It would be great to turn Lindgren into an asset or as you said, just clear the log jam in the crease a little. 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And trading either Danault+Drouin or Kotkaniemi+Drouin introduces a significant hole on the left side of our forward corps. Even if you are not a Drouin fan, the reality is that we don't have anyone to step in and take over. Byron is not the answer.

If Toffoli is already being slotted in as the 3rd line LW, he easily slides up into 2nd line LW. But as I've said before, I don't think there is any way Columbus has interest in Drouin.

7 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

If Toffoli is already being slotted in as the 3rd line LW, he easily slides up into 2nd line LW. But as I've said before, I don't think there is any way Columbus has interest in Drouin.

Yes ... and Lehkonen slides up to 3L, and then ... we end up with Byron on the fourth line, so effectively we downgraded from Drouin to Byron.

But, yes, I agree that Drouin is a poor fit for Tortorella Treatment. Anyway, I would be happy for us to stay out of this competition. There is a chance that Kotkaniemi will turn out just as good (though we don't know yet) and I would hate to sell the farm just to get that certainty.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... and Lehkonen slides up to 3L, and then ... we end up with Byron on the fourth line, so effectively we downgraded from Drouin to Byron.

But, yes, I agree that Drouin is a poor fit for Tortorella Treatment. Anyway, I would be happy for us to stay out of this competition. There is a chance that Kotkaniemi will turn out just as good (though we don't know yet) and I would hate to sell the farm just to get that certainty.

How about KK+Armia who were  both first round picks?

EDIT: Armia seems a better fit than Drouin and maybe Torts can squeeze more out of him

We could add Mete or Brook as the third asset bit anyone better would require more than PLD coming back

Edited by alfredoh2009

< nm >

16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

In terms of the roster as a whole, yeah. But that's not how it plays out realistically. Toffoli is very comparable to Drouin moving up to that spot. Then you've got Byron joining the bottom six, a rule he is very well suited for. There would be a hit in terms of overall depth, but the lineup with Toffoli/Lehkonen/Byron is not much different from Drouin/Toffoli/Lehkonen. Of course, Byron being in the discussion only even makes sense if he is not a cap casualty. I'd rather have him than Weal, but losing Weal doesn't leave much flexibility.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, you downgrade at LW, but you upgrade at C, and long term likely.

But, if that's the case ... why would Kekalainen do this deal? Especially since it would hurt CBJ in the short term, and they are not in rebuild mode.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But, if that's the case ... why would Kekalainen do this deal? Especially since it would hurt CBJ in the short term, and they are not in rebuild mode.

When you have a player who doesn't want to be there you can't always set your sights as high as you might hope ... especially with John "my way or the highway" Tortorella,  as your coach

With only three of their veteran forwards currently signed past 21/22 (only one of whom will be under 32) and Torts perhaps approaching his expiry date (I believe this season is the last year of his contract, it will be his 6th with CBJ, which would be his 2nd longest tenure as a HC) hard to tell what will be in Kekalainen's mind.

Apart from PLD, Columbus has no forwards (and only one defenceman) under 25 in their starting lineup (four lines and three D pairs). I would say they would be looking to win sooner rather than later. If they do trade Dubois, I think they will want players back who can produce today, not prospects -- so I really doubt they would be targeting Kotkaniemi given that he is only 20, even if we were to sweeten the pot with other prospects.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apart from PLD, Columbus has no forwards (and only one defenceman) under 25 in their starting lineup (four lines and three D pairs). I would say they would be looking to win sooner rather than later. If they do trade Dubois, I think they will want players back who can produce today, not prospects -- so I really doubt they would be targeting Kotkaniemi given that he is only 20, even if we were to sweeten the pot with other prospects.

On the other hand with an older roster they may feel making a major deal like PLD has to be an opportunity to seriously reload.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, tomh009 said:

On 1/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, GHT120 said:

On the other hand with an older roster they may feel making a major deal like PLD has to be an opportunity to seriously reload.

What are you talking about? At forward they've got Emil Bemstrom (21), Liam Foudy (20), Alexander Texier (21), and Kevin Stenlund (24) in addition to PLD. On defense both Carlsson (24) and Werenski (23) are under 25. Then you've got a bunch of guys like Jones, Bjorkstrand, and Domi who are right in the 25-26 range. Folgino, Koivu, Nash, Atkinson, and Savard are the only 5 players on this year's team 30 or older, while Nyqvist is out.

All that being said, Torts just confirmed all the rumors about PLD wanting out, so that out to lower the asking price a bit. Idiot.

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

All that being said, Torts just confirmed all the rumors about PLD wanting out, so that out to lower the asking price a bit. Idiot.

Considering how many different sites had reported it by this point, I don't think the confirmation really caught anyone by surprise and shouldn't affect his trade value.

How about a

Kotkaniemi + Byron + Mete + 2nd round pick for Dubois 🤔

we don't know Kotkaniemi will be asking for on his next contract. Plus trading Byron contract would be nice. 

Suzuki 

Dubois 

Danault 

Would give us one of the deepest center positions we have ever had.