Jump to content
dlbalr

Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

Recommended Posts

Two things:

 

Backstrom for Pacioretty isn't even close. You take Backstrom 100% of the time. Pacs is great, Backs is elite. Even with the 2 first round picks, it's still a very easy trade to make. BAcks is signed for a year longer as well. Honestly, Ovechkin for Pacs is a lot closer than Backs for Pacs. 

 

Also, McDavid's contract does not kick in until next season so no need to trade RNH now. (Unless a team really wants to overpay) Unless an injury occurs and they have a big need to fill, they're better off keeping him for depth and insurance. I could see him being moved for a Dman, but that's not happening with Montreal. If you want Edmonton to move anybody, you take a run at Lucic. I think they are already regretting the big contract. Just an opinion, but I believed they'd consider Shaw, Pleks, and a prospect/pick. Saves them 2.1 million when the McD contract kicks in and they'd fill a similar role. I'm not suggesting the trade should happen, the contract is gross, just that it's more likely then a Nuge trade. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan1989    4

I would call up the leafs and try and get brown from them. I think he could be a good pick up for us. He could be the odd man out there with all the talent they have.  He played on there 3 Rd line and had a good rookie year. Those numbers should go up if put on the top line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    146
4 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

 

Backstrom for Pacioretty isn't even close. You take Backstrom 100% of the time. Pacs is great, Backs is elite. Even with the 2 first round picks, it's still a very easy trade to make. BAcks is signed for a year longer as well. Honestly, Ovechkin for Pacs is a lot closer than Backs for Pacs. 

 

Nicklas Backstrom is an elite player and Max Pacioretty is an elite goal scorer. We can lower him down to "great" to fit the argument but that fact remains. There are almost no goal scorers like him in the league.

 

Nicklas Backstrom got his 86 points playing alongside Alex Ovechkin and TJ Oshie the majority of the time.

 

Max Pacioretty scored his 35 goals and 67 points alongside Philip Danault (and Radulov) the majority of the time. 

 

Backstrom 86 points 

Ovechkin 69 points

Oshie 56 in 68 games (or 67.5 points in full season)

 

Pacioretty 67 points 

Danault 40 points in 82 games

Radulov 

Radulov 54 points

 

Washington Capitals

263 Goals For

86/263=32.7%

Backstrom was part of 32.7% of Washington's scoring

 

Montreal Canadiens 

226 Goals For

67 points/226=29.6%

Pacioretty was part of 29.6% of Montreal's scoring

 

The point is that while Backstrom is elite himself, clearly outshining his teammates, he's had a lot more to work with that Pacioretty. There's no doubt in my mind that Paciorettt's numbers were deflated due to playing with Danault, just a like Backstrom's numbers were helped by having such elite talent surrounding him. Backstrom on the Habs ends last season with ~73 points.

 

What we should be doing is solving that center problem by finding someone to support Pacioretty. Trading Pacioretty for Backstrom straight up is indeed defensible but it still leaves us with quite a void.

 

Also, I'm not convinced that we haven't lost the trade if we include two first round picks and I'm often someone who's "meh" about picks in a trade for talent.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676
20 hours ago, DON said:

Eklund babbling about Duclair from Ariz to Habs of course aint happening but would Duclair help Habs?

 

Still a fairly unproven winger, but what should he cost the Habs? A 2nd pick and mediocre prospect (say a Scherbak)?

 

He had one full year in NHL and got 20g 44pts.

 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143840

 

 

He would have had two full NHL years had it not been for his complete ineptitude last season that got him sent to the minors where he didn't exactly light it up with a whopping one goal in 16 games.  I wouldn't give up a second round pick for him let alone Scherbak who is far from a mediocre prospect.  I think the good year was the fluke with him, not the bad one.

 

6 hours ago, Habsfan1989 said:

I would call up the leafs and try and get brown from them. I think he could be a good pick up for us. He could be the odd man out there with all the talent they have.  He played on there 3 Rd line and had a good rookie year. Those numbers should go up if put on the top line.

2

 

Brown's a nice complementary player but I'd suggest he's not the type of player that's going to thrive on a top line when he's going up against top opposition instead of lower-end guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    255

Athanasiou is a kid I'd be calling Detroit about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676
4 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Athanasiou is a kid I'd be calling Detroit about

 

He's overrated.  He's fast and...he's fast.  He's not a particularly gifted defensive player, lacks the skill to be a consistent top six guy, and avoids physical play at all costs despite his size.  Athanasiou is a third line player that fits in if the line is an offensive-minded one (and not a two-way trio), nothing more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    276

So  Duclair is not good.  Athanasiou is not good.

How many top 6 players do you count around the league Brian ?    80 ?  90 ?  

 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676
1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

So  Duclair is not good.  Athanasiou is not good.

How many top 6 players do you count around the league Brian ?    80 ?  90 ?  

 

:P

 

Duclair and Athanasiou have had one good season.  That's not enough to qualify as a legitimate top six player.  Lots of people want to see a proven player added - if that's the case, set your sights higher than guys who have played well for only a few months at the NHL level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    255

18 goals in his second season, with a lot of them being highlight reel goals.

 

I don't know what your hate on for this guy is about, but word is he'll probably sign for somewhere around 2 million per. For an 18 goal scorer who is probably on the upswing of offensive potential, id say he's a more than a viable acquisition 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676
5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

18 goals in his second season, with a lot of them being highlight reel goals.

 

I don't know what your hate on for this guy is about, but word is he'll probably sign for somewhere around 2 million per. For an 18 goal scorer who is probably on the upswing of offensive potential, id say he's a more than a viable acquisition 

 

I wouldn't necessarily call it a hate-on; it's knowledge from seeing him a lot back in junior.  He's an exploitative player, the type of guy that has one high-level skill that he can use to his advantage very well.  That's his speed and that's how he scores a lot of his goals.  In junior, he scored plenty just like that (several of which came from hanging out at the red line while his team was defending).  His all-around offensive game (passing, shooting, hockey sense, etc) isn't all that great though relative to actual top-six forwards.  He's fast and he makes the most of it.  Players like that are fine in a third line role but get exposed when they're in the top six - look at Byron last year.  (And he is averse to physical contact and isn't very good in his own end - that's not hating, that's just the way it is.)

 

Can he help the Habs?  Sure.  But he's not moving the bar; he's helping the third line.  I don't think that's where the focus should be right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    255

I'll never doubt your knowledge of a player, I just see a 20 goal scorer who could be had for a decent price and signed to a cap friendly deal 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676
54 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I'll never doubt your knowledge of a player, I just see a 20 goal scorer who could be had for a decent price and signed to a cap friendly deal

 

Do we know that Detroit's willing to trade him?  If I was in their shoes, I'd rather let him go to the KHL for a year over dumping him for a lesser return just because they can't agree on a contract right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    255

I think they  would consider it for sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meller93    123

To pitsburgh Plex and a second

To MTL Olli Maatta

 

We retain 2 million on plexs expiring deal.

 

Maatta makes our LD Younger, and adds a solid top 4 choice.

Pens already looking for a third line center.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    146

I wouldn't trade Plekanec before the season at this point. It's not like his value is high, leaving him susceptible to lowering it by not playing well. In my opinion, coming from someone who's harder than he should be on Danault, Plekanec is arguably our best center right now. That has nothing to do with Plekanec compared to what it has to do with the reality that center is our other weakness. If we were to trade for a defenseman, I'd use a winger or another defenseman as bait rather than a center. Even if it were to help relieve cap space. We don't really need that right now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    108

I doubt Pittsburgh makes this deal, there are far cheaper 3rd line centers to be had across the NHL, Maatta is a top 4 guy for them, and their defense isn't exactly scaring anyone at this point, why make it even weaker?

 

Its a nice deal for us any angle I look at it, which also means it is likely a bad deal for them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    27

Looks like Red Wings are in need of cap relief. Do they have any top six forward/top 4 d-man that might fit on Habs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676
25 minutes ago, DON said:

Looks like Red Wings are in need of cap relief. Do they have any top six forward/top 4 d-man that might fit on Habs?

 

They don't have any decent defencemen to spare and I think they can get back under without dealing a notable forward.  Someone like Riley Sheahan could be dealt to free up the cap space for Athanasiou's deal and I think Ryan Sproul may be the casualty on defence.   They'll be tight to the cap but I think between that and putting Franzen on LTIR, they'll get back into compliance.  I'm sure they'd like to move someone like Jonathan Ericsson but they won't have much luck moving out that contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    276
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

They don't have any decent defencemen to spare and I think they can get back under without dealing a notable forward.  Someone like Riley Sheahan could be dealt to free up the cap space for Athanasiou's deal and I think Ryan Sproul may be the casualty on defence.   They'll be tight to the cap but I think between that and putting Franzen on LTIR, they'll get back into compliance.  I'm sure they'd like to move someone like Jonathan Ericsson but they won't have much luck moving out that contract.

We have trouble scoring.  I don't think bringing in Mr Game #82 is a good idea, even if he only has room to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    146

Let's sign Markov and then trade him, a draft pick and maybe even a prospect to Colorado for Duchene.

 

Oh wait. 

 

Kidding aside, I still think we should be in on it despite being in the minority on the topic. I'm not saying he's anything more than a top 6 center, but we still do need a top 6 center. The only issue is I'm definitely past trading anything much of value to them for him and so I expect it to certainly not happen. 

 

On the other hand, I expect the return for him to be less than his actual value in the end. Thus, the perfect storm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nihilz    32

Soderberg & 3rd for Shaw

Bjudstad for Shaw & 4th (600K Retained)

 

Pacioretty Danault Drouin

Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen

Byron Soderberg/Bjudstad Gallagher

Galchenyuk delaRose Scherbak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    610
On 10/15/2017 at 3:39 PM, nihilz said:

Soderberg & 3rd for Shaw

Bjudstad for Shaw & 4th (600K Retained)

 

Pacioretty Danault Drouin

Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen

Byron Soderberg/Bjudstad Gallagher

Galchenyuk delaRose Scherbak

 

Zero interest in Soderberg, who has a huge contract and is a regular healthy scratch in Colorado.  The guy had one good season and a whole bunch of garbage ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    676

He's had three good years, his last two in Boston and one in Colorado (48, 44, and 51 points) but has fallen off a cliff since.  If he didn't have two years left after this, I'd be intrigued as a buy-low reclamation project but that contract is one that could be a buyout candidate next summer.  It's also probably worth noting that he can't see particularly well out of his left eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    610
2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's had three good years, his last two in Boston and one in Colorado (48, 44, and 51 points) but has fallen off a cliff since.  If he didn't have two years left after this, I'd be intrigued as a buy-low reclamation project but that contract is one that could be a buyout candidate next summer.  It's also probably worth noting that he can't see particularly well out of his left eye.

 

I meant one good year since signing his big deal in Colorado, but point taken. 

 

It says something when Vegas couldn't find many centres in the expansion draft and didn't want him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nihilz    32

Tavares Leddy Halak 2nd

 

Price Pacioretty Shaw 5th

 

muhahahaa

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×