Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

How good a young LH d-man would Gallagher command in a trade one for one?

No, i dont want #11 dealt & I dont think he will be dealt...just wondering out loud, as Habs top picks coming along are mostly forwards and Habs are in big need for a top pairing LH d-man, that wont be coming from farm system in near future (Brook, Fleury are RH) and dont see any suitable UFAs coming up.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's got a dirt cheap contract given his production, so it would need to be a high level prospect.

Nic Beaudin or Ty Smith-like quality? Or would he demand more of a advanced prospect?

Gallagher on-pace for 34g season, if he gets that. In offseason would a young top-pairing d-man be fair swap?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Nic Beaudin or Ty Smith-like quality? Or would he demand more of a advanced prospect?

Gallagher on-pace for 34g season, if he gets that. In offseason would a young top-pairing d-man be fair swap?

That level at least for sure

Cant see the habs moving him though

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That level at least for sure

Cant see the habs moving him though

Cant either; but Bergevin has made some deals didnt see coming; also seems to make some sense as well given roster make up.

But thanks.

9 hours ago, Neech said:

What would it take to get Ottawa's pick from Colorado?

to Colorado:

Weber

2nd rounder

to Montreal:

Ottawa's pick

Ian Cole

In what universe would that be a good trade for Montreal? Oh yes, the one in which Yannick Weber is still a Canadien and is the main piece going to Colorado 

10 minutes ago, PMAC said:

In what universe would that be a good trade for Montreal? Oh yes, the one in which Yannick Weber is still a Canadien and is the main piece going to Colorado 

In long term likely would be, as losing Weber would likely push Habs closer to top ten pick and Sens will likely be a top 5 pick. So possibly 2 top ten picks is tantalizing. But, not a chance in hell Aves are giving up on possibly of adding Hughes, nor want huge contract or older d-man.

Petry would be more reasonable one to trade, but cant see Habs basically giving up on season by dealing him, unless nose dive on this road trip and have bad run in Jan.

I still hope that they trade Petry to one of these bottom-10 teams (I've crossed out teams that are probably not a trading partner):

CH gets: 2019 1st round draft pick + Right-D prospect from one of:

31  Los Angeles

30  Chicago

29  New Jersey

28  Arizona

27  Philadelphia

26  St. Louis

25  Florida

24  Detroit

23  Carolina
22  Ottawa

21  NY Rangers
20  Vancouver

19  Minnesota

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

But why does a lottery-bound team give up potentially a top-three pick (depending on the lottery) for Petry?  Sellers don't sell their first-round pick for a win-now asset.

LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota have an ageing core that may be able to take a last kick at the can with the addition of Petry. 

Other younger teams like New Jersey, Philadelphia, Florida, Carolina, Vancouver may benefit from Petry's experience and decent play as they wait for their young core to come into their own. 

With Petry's modified trade list, I have no clue which teams are on his list, but getting a top 10 pick (potential top 3 lottery pick can be protected)  could be a win-win. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I still hope that they trade Petry to one of these bottom-10 teams (I've crossed out teams that are probably not a trading partner):

CH gets: 2019 1st round draft pick + Right-D prospect from one of:

31  Los Angeles

30  Chicago

29  New Jersey

28  Arizona

27  Philadelphia

26  St. Louis

25  Florida

24  Detroit

23  Carolina
22  Ottawa

21  NY Rangers
20  Vancouver

19  Minnesota

Maybe Vancouver from that list shows interest.  They're not that far out of a playoff spot.  Depends how they feel their team is going to progress next year.  I can see Dallas or Vegas in the west being interested as well.  Habs would have to take a hefty contract back to make it work with Dallas.  They pretty much don't have any cap space.  I could see Pittsburgh and Toronto being interested in the east.  Again the Habs would have to take back a big contract to make it work with either of those teams.

57 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota have an ageing core that may be able to take a last kick at the can with the addition of Petry. 

Other younger teams like New Jersey, Philadelphia, Florida, Carolina, Vancouver may benefit from Petry's experience and decent play as they wait for their young core to come into their own. 

With Petry's modified trade list, I have no clue which teams are on his list, but getting a top 10 pick (potential top 3 lottery pick can be protected)  could be a win-win.

LA is in sell mode, Chicago is saving their money to go after Panarin, St. Louis doesn't have the payroll flexibility to do it (and are also believed to be in sell mode) and Minnesota is already spending over $26 million on their back end.  They're not going to want to add another $5.5 million to upgrade their third pairing (as Petry would probably slot in behind Dumba and Spurgeon).

As for the other teams, New Jersey could be a fit in terms of a spot for him but they'd be nuts to trade their first rounder for him considering it's looking like they're a bottom-five team.  Philly maybe would have some interest but I think when Fletcher realizes that Scott Gordon isn't going to turn the team around, they'll start to sell.  Florida doesn't have 2nd/3rd rounders already so they're not dealing their 1st.  (Something with Petry/Matheson could make sense though.)  Carolina is beyond loaded on defence and has no need at all for Petry, and Vancouver's already said they're not dealing future pieces.

There's a reason teams that are far out of a playoff position at the trade deadline don't become buyers and deal their first rounder away.  That's not about to change for a couple of years and a bit of Petry.  The only teams that would offer up a first rounder for him are playoff/contending teams.  If a rebuilding team happens to want his services, it's probably a draft-day move involving more established younger players as there isn't much value in adding him to a non-playoff team midseason.

• Upvote 2

I doubled checked instead of just throwing the NHL standings.

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

LA is in sell mode, Chicago is saving their money to go after Panarin, St. Louis doesn't have the payroll flexibility to do it (and are also believed to be in sell mode) and Minnesota is already spending over $26 million on their back end.  They're not going to want to add another $5.5 million to upgrade their third pairing (as Petry would probably slot in behind Dumba and Spurgeon).

LAK: you are right, it does not make sense. CHI: No way unless their goalie starts outperforming and they start climbing the standings. MIN: Dumba just got hurt, but they have a lot of righties

As for the other teams, New Jersey could be a fit in terms of a spot for him but they'd be nuts to trade their first rounder for him considering it's looking like they're a bottom-five team.  Philly maybe would have some interest but I think when Fletcher realizes that Scott Gordon isn't going to turn the team around, they'll start to sell.  Florida doesn't have 2nd/3rd rounders already so they're not dealing their 1st.  (Something with Petry/Matheson could make sense though.)  Carolina is beyond loaded on defence and has no need at all for Petry, and Vancouver's already said they're not dealing future pieces.

NJD: Petry for Mueller and their 1st would be a good fit

ARZ: Petry for Hjalmarsson and their 1st would work

PHI: Petry for Folin and their 1st unless they start to sell

STL: doesn't have a 1st, so no fit

FLA: If they want to update their D, they could send us Petrovic and their 1st for Petry. But you are probably right on them

VAN: Petry for Brisebois and their 1st would work

DAL: Petry for Heatherington and their 1st would work. I would not take a contract back (Methot, Spezza) unless they take one of our contracts

There's a reason teams that are far out of a playoff position at the trade deadline don't become buyers and deal their first rounder away.  That's not about to change for a couple of years and a bit of Petry.  The only teams that would offer up a first rounder for him are playoff/contending teams.  If a rebuilding team happens to want his services, it's probably a draft-day move involving more established younger players as there isn't much value in adding him to a non-playoff team midseason.

Yes, but the CH needs to turn the Petry page in the next year or so if they want to build a contender. He is a great trade chip

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubled checked instead of just throwing the NHL standings.

LAK: you are right, it does not make sense. CHI: No way unless their goalie starts outperforming and they start climbing the standings. MIN: Dumba just got hurt, but they have a lot of righties

NJD: Petry for Mueller and their 1st would be a good fit

ARZ: Petry for Hjalmarsson and their 1st would work

PHI: Petry for Folin and their 1st unless they start to sell

STL: doesn't have a 1st, so no fit

FLA: If they want to update their D, they could send us Petrovic and their 1st for Petry. But you are probably right on them

VAN: Petry for Brisebois and their 1st would work

DAL: Petry for Heatherington and their 1st would work. I would not take a contract back (Methot, Spezza) unless they take one of our contracts

Yes, but the CH needs to turn the Petry page in the next year or so if they want to build a contender. He is a great trade chip

I've seen multiple reports out of Chicago suggesting that Bowman has no intentions of adding significant payroll beyond this season because they will be going hard after Panarin.  They might have enough to pull it off too (though they'll be in cap purgatory once again if they get him).  Petry is off the table for them as a result. 

The Dumba injury might force Minnesota's hand but given their long-term commitments on the back end, going the rental route may make more sense for them.

I don't see why New Jersey does that trade.  Petry takes them from being a non-playoff team to a non-playoff team.  Why would they give up a potential top-five pick to still miss the playoffs?

Arizona's going nowhere with Raanta likely out for the year so giving away what looks like will be a top-five pick makes no sense for them.

Philly - doubt it but not entirely impossible (who knows what the marching orders are from the top?)

Florida could make the money work this year but they'd be putting themselves in big cap trouble for 2019-20 without shedding some money off the books for that year.

Vancouver - again, Benning has already said they're not moving futures so they're off the table.

Dallas doesn't have the cap space to take Petry on so the Habs would have to take someone back (probably Methot).  They'd make sense as a fit though as they expect to be a playoff team.  However, Heatherington's a non-prospect (his value is around Lernout's level as someone that has cleared waivers) so I'd aim higher on the secondary piece.

I understand the argument for trading Petry in the next year or so.  I don't entirely disagree with it either.  However, the market's going to be limited as non-playoff teams aren't going to risk giving up a high draft pick (even with 1-3 protection) for someone who wouldn't make them a playoff team.  If the Habs want to get a first rounder for Petry, it will be a late one with the second piece arguably being the more valuable part of the return.  Alternatively, they'll use him to fill another hole (RD for LD, player for player swap) which appears to be more of the type of move that Bergevin's willing to make.

If Petry goes, it will be to a contending team willing to sacrifice picks, prospects, or young assets in order to significantly bolster their blueline for a deep Cup run. No other category of team will want him.

Petry has really impressed me. What with last year and this year, he has found a way to raise his game to a high level with consistency. Earlier in his career he'd have a great three months and then regress. It's fairly rare that a guy 'hits another level' at age 29-30, but he seems to have done it. He is now one of the most under-rated d-men in the league and would be an extremely valuable pickup for a contender needing a legit #2 d-man. At $4 mil he is excellent value as well.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Petry goes, it will be to a contending team willing to sacrifice picks, prospects, or young assets in order to significantly bolster their blueline for a deep Cup run. No other category of team will want him.

Petry has really impressed me. What with last year and this year, he has found a way to raise his game to a high level with consistency. Earlier in his career he'd have a great three months and then regress. It's fairly rare that a guy 'hits another level' at age 29-30, but he seems to have done it. He is now one of the most under-rated d-men in the league and would be an extremely valuable pickup for a contender needing a legit #2 d-man. At $4 mil he is excellent value as well.

Petry is making $5.5M, no?

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

$5.5M cap hit, $4M salary (not including his $1M signing bonus) this season.

Ok thanks.  I wondered if that was what he meant, but then saw that Petry's salary goes down another $1M for the final 2 years of his contract, and... well it doesn't take much to confuse me.:spamafote:

It's boxing day and I miss hockey already, so here is my boxing day "bad contract" trade proposal:

NJD: Petry for          Greene          & 2019 1st round draft pick

PHI: Petry for           MacDonald   & 2019 1st round draft pick

FLA: Petry for           Yandles         & 2019 1st round draft pick

VAN: Petry for          Edler              & 2019 1st round draft pick

and for a forward:

DAL: Petry for          Hanzal           & 2019 1st round draft pick

HO HO HO

Go Habs Go

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It's boxing day and I miss hockey already, so here is my boxing day "bad contract" trade proposal:

NJD: Petry for          Greene          & 2019 1st round draft pick

PHI: Petry for           MacDonald   & 2019 1st round draft pick

FLA: Petry for           Yandles         & 2019 1st round draft pick

VAN: Petry for          Edler              & 2019 1st round draft pick

and for a forward:

DAL: Petry for          Hanzal           & 2019 1st round draft pick

HO HO HO

Go Habs Go

i would add

OTT: Petry for     2018 3rd round pick & 2019 1st round pick

if Santa can gift :)

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2018 at 6:34 PM, dlbalr said:

Colorado has Ottawa's first rounder.

doh!! :(

what about 2020 or even 2021 1st round and a 3rd round in 2019 would that be fair?

Maybe even pull a swap of 1st rounders in 2020 to sweeten the pot so they don't loose 2years of 1st rounders. (edit): something on their end would need to come back like a 3rd in 2020 if not a lottery pick or something, idk maybe if 1st ott lottery then we give em a 2nd, if not lottery then they give us another 3rd round.  Does that kinda make sence?

I think a team like Ottawa can use the 1.5mil above pay cap hit to hit the cap floor and maybe keep this low low team thing they wanna do.