Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Probably not, but is a guy like Kapanen in Toronto worth a 2nd round pick?

He and Andreas Johnsson seem to be the popular speculative targets for an offer sheet so far.

50 minutes ago, Chris said:

How many offer sheets in the last 10 years?

I will guess 2? There is Weber. Not sure when Penner was and Pronger long ago.

Looks like 3.

https://thehockeywriters.com/rfas-and-offer-sheets-a-look-back/

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-11-matched-nhl-offer-sheets-lasting-impact/

Edited by DON
looked it up

Offer sheets are a perennial fan fantasy. Fans in every market go on about them. But GMs clearly do not like them and are very leery of trying them. It's a case where fan culture and team culture are radically divergent.

Four 1st-rounders is a mighty steep price to pay. That said, IF you are offer-sheeting a young player who truly projects as elite, and IF you do not realistically expect to be picking in the top-10 or -15 over the next four years, and IF your scouting department has a good track record of identifying quality players outside the 1st round, THEN an offer sheet is a perfectly valid idea. After all, most 1st-rounders do not become high-impact players. Look at the Habs from 2009-2015. I would happily trade Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, AND Juulsen for one legitimate all-star player. An offer sheet during that span would have been a great idea.

While the above conditions seem stringent, I suspect that they are sufficiently flexible that more than three offer sheets should have been made in the last 10 years. The real reason teams don't do it probably has still more to do with that old idiotic NHL bugaboo The Code. It's not seen as 'honourable' to poach another team's RFAs. For guys like Bergevin, for whom winning is not the absolute top priority, it tends to be out of the question.

• Upvote 2

I dont know if I will get my head cut off

but if the Preds wanna trade Subban can we get him back, one?

and can it be done 1v1 for Drouin, two?

I like Subban more then Drouin as a player even if diff position of play.

I know the practice rink, and all the blah blah blah of south shore but I really miss seeing him (Subban) around city, one of the few players that lived on the island of Montreal and not the south shore somewhere.  

15 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I dont know if I will get my head cut off

but if the Preds wanna trade Subban can we get him back, one?

and can it be done 1v1 for Drouin, two?

I like Subban more then Drouin as a player even if diff position of play.

I know the practice rink, and all the blah blah blah of south shore but I really miss seeing him (Subban) around city, one of the few players that lived on the island of Montreal and not the south shore somewhere.  

I'd love to get PK back, but Poile is not an idiot. 

Besides that, MB's ego would not allow him to even consider this. It doesn't matter how great the deal is or how much it might help the team, he won't touch it. Better off thinking on terms of Karlsson or Gardiner.

Personally, I hope Vancouver gets him. ? It might be worth their while, actually, provided they don't surrender one of their young studs to get him. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd love to get PK back, but Poile is not an idiot. 

Besides that, MB's ego would not allow him to even consider this. It doesn't matter how great the deal is or how much it might help the team, he won't touch it. Better off thinking on terms of Karlsson or Gardiner.

Personally, I hope Vancouver gets him. ? It might be worth their while, actually, provided they don't surrender one of their young studs to get him. 

I hope for you more then for the Nucks :)

(edit) and the City more then for the hockey team, what a Great man he is on top of player

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

I hope for you more then for the Nucks :)

(edit) and the City more then for the hockey team, what a Great man he is on top of player

I know...the Canuckleheads would instantly become my 2nd favourite team. PK would achieve what 15 years of living in LotusLand coukd not ?

• Upvote 1

When it comes to weaponizing our short term cap space and ability to spend money, it's such a shame that the teams who are most looking for cap relief are teams within the division. While it would be nice to take on an asset along with a contract anchor like Marleau or Callahan, I'm really all not that jazzed to help out the Leafs or Lightning with their cap issues.

I've said it before, but maybe it's more likely to look west and see if Edmonton reeeeeeally wants to dump Sekera?

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I've said it before, but maybe it's more likely to look west and see if Edmonton reeeeeeally wants to dump Sekera?

He's a LD ... does he still have enough skills/speed to help us? And how fragile is he?

32 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

When it comes to weaponizing our short term cap space and ability to spend money, it's such a shame that the teams who are most looking for cap relief are teams within the division. While it would be nice to take on an asset along with a contract anchor like Marleau or Callahan, I'm really all not that jazzed to help out the Leafs or Lightning with their cap issues.

I'm not afraid of making trades inside the division. 

You have to win the trade though, you have to extract a real price for taking Marleau or Callahan. 

My whole thing is that if you think you are winning the trade, you shouldn't be afraid of who you are making it with.  Heck its better in the division, as you are hurting the rival by extracting a key piece that helps you. 

35 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He's a LD ... does he still have enough skills/speed to help us? And how fragile is he?

He probably got injured getting out of bed this morning.

3rd pair LD. 2 years as a 6-7 defenseman, but if Edmonton pays a good price to move him...

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You have to win the trade though, you have to extract a real price for taking Marleau or Callahan. 

My whole thing is that if you think you are winning the trade, you shouldn't be afraid of who you are making it with.  Heck its better in the division, as you are hurting the rival by extracting a key piece that helps you. 

On the other side of that coin, would Tampa or Toronto rather pay more to send those players out west rather than help out a division rivals near future?

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

He probably got injured getting out of bed this morning.

3rd pair LD. 2 years as a 6-7 defenseman, but if Edmonton pays a good price to move him...

How good? Puljujarvi? Or better than that?

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, I always agreed with this. You make a trade in order to make your team better. Period. The thought that a GM would pass on that opportunity just because he fears the PR blow-back if the trade doesn't work out suggests a guy who either lacks confidence in his judgement, or else prioritizes his own ego over winning.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Trizzak said:

On the other side of that coin, would Tampa or Toronto rather pay more to send those players out west rather than help out a division rivals near future?

Again, they have to think that they are winning the trade. 

If both GMs are fully confident they are winning the trade, they shouldn't be afraid of who they trade with.  

Have some cajones.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Again, they have to think that they are winning the trade. 

If both GMs are fully confident they are winning the trade, they shouldn't be afraid of who they trade with.  

Have some cajones.

If I'm the GM who's trading away the actual best player  (à la Pacio vs  Tatar and prospect),  I'd of course consider trading within the division, but it would only be a last resort option.

Even if I'm confident that I'll eventually win the trade.

Winning the trade outside of divison is still better than winning the trade in your division.

Unless you win by a substantial margin within the division.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Winning the trade outside of division is still better than winning the trade in your division.

Why? If you win within the division, you have weakened a direct rival. That surely is better than weakening a team you only meet a few times a year, and which you don't need to compete with for a playoff spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Why? If you win within the division, you have weakened a direct rival. That surely is better than weakening a team you only meet a few times a year, and which you don't need to compete with for a playoff spot.

Well, there *are* trades where both teams win. The Pacioretty trade might (might!) be such an example. In such a case, you strengthen your team, but also strengthen a divisional rival.

I don't think that, when you make a trade, you're generally thinking in terms of fleecing the other team. It's nice if you can pull a Kordic for Courtnall, but that's pretty rare. The focus is on what your team needs, how to improve your club.

Unlike Joe, I still wouldn't make trading within the division a "last resort." I would look at all the scenarios and pick the one that improves my team the most. Period. If it also helps a division rival, well, so what? The point is that I'm building the best possible team I can. Let the chips fall where they may after that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Well, if you totally skip the 2 sentences before this one  AND the one right after...

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, there *are* trades where both teams win. The Pacioretty trade might (might!) be such an example. In such a case, you strengthen your team, but also strengthen a divisional rival.

I don't think that, when you make a trade, you're generally thinking in terms of fleecing the other team. It's nice if you can pull a Kordic for Courtnall, but that's pretty rare. The focus is on what your team needs, how to improve your club.

Unlike Joe, I still wouldn't make trading within the division a "last resort." I would look at all the scenarios and pick the one that improves my team the most. Period. If it also helps a division rival, well, so what? The point is that I'm building the best possible team I can. Let the chips fall where they may after that.

I was insisting that the last resort thing is when you trade away the best player.  I would gladly send Tatar and a blue chip prospect  in the division to get Huberdeau,  but not send Huberdeau  in the division to get  Tatar and a bluechip prospect.   But, IF I DO IT, it would be because no other similar deal can be done.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Vegas is a division rivalry?

Not a whole lot on this list that would help us unfortunately. I'd take a run at Kessel for sure depending on the cost and would send a prospect to get Panarin in a sign and trade or negotiating rights. 

Wonder why Subban is on that list? ?

W0XLxp9.jpg