Jump to content
dlbalr

Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Not a whole lot on this list that would help us unfortunately. I'd take a run at Kessel for sure depending on the cost and would send a prospect to get Panarin in a sign and trade or negotiating rights.

 

Maatta? He's only 24, surely a top-four defenceman and an LD. And a $4M cap hit is not bad. But what would we need to give up? Pittsburgh needs more speed, we do have some of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

 

Maatta? He's only 24, surely a top-four defenceman and an LD. And a $4M cap hit is not bad. But what would we need to give up? Pittsburgh needs more speed, we do have some of that.

 

Haven't given Maata much thought over the years, but this is a perceptive post. Good call! He's not a stud top-pairing guy but he could prove a very attractive pick-up given our weakness at LD. Depends what Pittsburgh wants back, I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

 

Maatta? He's only 24, surely a top-four defenceman and an LD. And a $4M cap hit is not bad. But what would we need to give up? Pittsburgh needs more speed, we do have some of that.

 

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Haven't given Maata much thought over the years, but this is a perceptive post. Good call! He's not a stud top-pairing guy but he could prove a very attractive pick-up given our weakness at LD. Depends what Pittsburgh wants back, I suppose. 

 

Maatta's stock has dropped over the years, and I heard on a recent 31 Thoughts podcast that the Penguins want more than ANYONE is willing to pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maatta at least beat Mete in goal scoring..by just 1 but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tomh009 said:

How good? Puljujarvi? Or better than that?

 

Doubt it's that high. Edmonton isn't totally boned cap-wise like Chicago was when they had to give up Teravainen to get one year of Bickell off the books, but the Blackhawks also got a 2nd and a 3rd back in that deal. Habs got Armia, a 4th, and a 7th to buyout Steve Mason, but he was also only a one year contract.

 

How about Edmonton's first round pick,  2nd round pick, and Sekera for the Habs first round pick and second round pick? Jump 7 slots from the middle of rounds one and two to the early of rounds one and two. Just enough sprinkling of magic beans to make it worthwhile for Montreal, and Edmonton can still feel like they haven't entirely mortgaged the future to help save their present. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

If I'm the GM who's trading away the actual best player  (à la Pacio vs  Tatar and prospect),  I'd of course consider trading within the division, but it would only be a last resort option.

Even if I'm confident that I'll eventually win the trade.

 

Winning the trade outside of divison is still better than winning the trade in your division.

Unless you win by a substantial margin within the division.

 

I make the best trade I can make, no matter who I'm making it with... division or not. 

If I get even a small bit more from the division rival than outside the division, i'm taking that small bit more. 

Better is better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Don't be a nincompoop. I was giving that as an example of a trade which might be considered to help both teams. Period.

 

+1 for use of the word "nincompoop"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

 

Maatta? He's only 24, surely a top-four defenceman and an LD. And a $4M cap hit is not bad. But what would we need to give up? Pittsburgh needs more speed, we do have some of that.

 

I'm not a fan of Maatta, he's never been as good as his rookie season, and he gets overrated a lot to me.  I think that 4m is overpaid for a third pairing D. 

I'd just assume sign Benn for 2 more years than get Maatta.  His lack of footspeed isn't a good fit in the NHL the way the league keeps getting faster. 

TVA had an article on Habs LD targets... they were sign Gardiner or Edler... trade for Alec Martinez or Shayne Gostisbehere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

 

Doubt it's that high. Edmonton isn't totally boned cap-wise like Chicago was when they had to give up Teravainen to get one year of Bickell off the books, but the Blackhawks also got a 2nd and a 3rd back in that deal. Habs got Armia, a 4th, and a 7th to buyout Steve Mason, but he was also only a one year contract.

 

How about Edmonton's first round pick,  2nd round pick, and Sekera for the Habs first round pick and second round pick? Jump 7 slots from the middle of rounds one and two to the early of rounds one and two. Just enough sprinkling of magic beans to make it worthwhile for Montreal, and Edmonton can still feel like they haven't entirely mortgaged the future to help save their present. 

 

The magic beans are nice, and we would not give anything up. But is Sekera good enough to spend $4M of cap on? He was pretty reliable for a long time, but then he injured his ACL and then achilles tendon (or the other way around?) and averaged only 30 games per season for the last two. And it seems his level of play dropped off, too, in those two abbreviated seasons. But I have never really followed him, so this is just based on a couple of basic stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm not a fan of Maatta, he's never been as good as his rookie season, and he gets overrated a lot to me.  I think that 4m is overpaid for a third pairing D. 

I'd just assume sign Benn for 2 more years than get Maatta.  His lack of footspeed isn't a good fit in the NHL the way the league keeps getting faster. 

TVA had an article on Habs LD targets... they were sign Gardiner or Edler... trade for Alec Martinez or Shayne Gostisbehere.  

 

I think Maatta's weakness is acceleration rather than the ultimate speed -- quickness, if you will. He's still got good speed but needs a few extra strides to get going.

 

I would agree on Gardiner and Edler as primary targets, or maybe Karlsson. Beyond those, it really becomes a question of who is offered up for trading, and on what terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

+1 for use of the word "nincompoop"

Yup, gotta agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 12:19 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

...

I don't think that, when you make a trade, you're generally thinking in terms of fleecing the other team. It's nice if you can pull a Kordic for Courtnall, but that's pretty rare. The focus is on what your team needs, how to improve your club.

...

+1 for reffing Kordic trade (fe real! fe real!!!), my Fav All Time!!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any less interest in Karlsson now that he has re-aggravated his injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really, as he was never coming to Habs anyways and will be over paid with long deal by some GM, like San Jose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading more about this, I'm thinking maybe Sekera is a good risk. At least his contract is only two years, so by the time our youngsters start expecting big money, he'll be a UFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumored discussions between the Wild and the Penguins for a trade possibly involving Kessel and Johnson for Rask and Zucker. 

https://www.tsn.ca/report-minnesota-wild-discussing-trade-for-phil-kessel-with-pittsburgh-penguins-1.1310522

 

You have to believe picking up RW Kessel and LD Johnson is likely something Bergevin is at least kicking the tires on. He definitely wouldn't overpay for such a package but should be inquiring. Johnson is crap but fills a position and taking him on is the cost to acquire a ppg player. 

 

I'm still upset we didn't end up with the Lindholm and Hanifin package from Carolina last year somehow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Habs are Kessel's yes list (or at least they were at one point) but I can't see Bergevin going too hard after him.  Kessel is a highly-talented player but he's a big time floater.  Considering they moved out some players like that last season (that was a frequent issue with Galchenyuk and here and there with Pacioretty), it's hard to imagine them wanting to bring in someone like that again.  Montreal seems to be going the energetic and fast route - that's not Kessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I believe the Habs are Kessel's yes list (or at least they were at one point) but I can't see Bergevin going too hard after him.  Kessel is a highly-talented player but he's a big time floater.  Considering they moved out some players like that last season (that was a frequent issue with Galchenyuk and here and there with Pacioretty), it's hard to imagine them wanting to bring in someone like that again.  Montreal seems to be going the energetic and fast route - that's not Kessel.

 

I agree with you, but to my mind the real issue with Patches and Galy was not that they're 'floaters' but rather that they were inconsistent. The lesson of those guys is that you can't rely on inconsistent producers to drive your team. Kessel, by contrast, is a reliable PPG producer. He's consistent and can be counted upon to produce. That's what matters, not this NHL ideology about HUSTLE and CHARACTER. 

 

I'd be more concerned about rumours that he couldn't get along with Malkin (whether or not a guy plays the NHL Robot game, you don't need divisive jerks in your room), that he's 31 (although he'll probably be productive for the duration of his contract) and - above all - that PITS wants D in return. The Habs just don't have D to spare on a 31-year-old, even if he is a scoring machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with you, but to my mind the real issue with Patches and Galy was not that they're 'floaters' but rather that they were inconsistent. The lesson of those guys is that you can't rely on inconsistent producers to drive your team. Kessel, by contrast, is a reliable PPG producer. He's consistent and can be counted upon to produce. That's what matters, not this NHL ideology about HUSTLE and CHARACTER. 

 

I'd be more concerned about rumours that he couldn't get along with Malkin (whether or not a guy plays the NHL Robot game, you don't need divisive jerks in your room), that he's 31 (although he'll probably be productive for the duration of his contract) and - above all - that PITS wants D in return. The Habs just don't have D to spare on a 31-year-old, even if he is a scoring machine.

2

 

The reported deal actually doesn't yield a d-man for Pittsburgh - Zucker and Rask for Kessel and Jack Johnson.  I think they'd be intrigued with Drouin who's at a similar price point to Zucker and if he had some chemistry with Crosby or Malkin, look out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

The reported deal actually doesn't yield a d-man for Pittsburgh - Zucker and Rask for Kessel and Jack Johnson.  I think they'd be intrigued with Drouin who's at a similar price point to Zucker and if he had some chemistry with Crosby or Malkin, look out.

 

Geez, I'd move Drouin for Kessel. At least the latter is a reliable producer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

 

The reported deal actually doesn't yield a d-man for Pittsburgh - Zucker and Rask for Kessel and Jack Johnson.  I think they'd be intrigued with Drouin who's at a similar price point to Zucker and if he had some chemistry with Crosby or Malkin, look out.

 

Does Johnson need to be attached to a Kessel deal though? 

 

Because that's a big yikes from me. I'd rather pay Johnson 8 years to not play for the Habs than the 4 years left to play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would there be any point in taking a flyer on Julius Honka? He's 23, an RFA and clearly doesn't fit into the Stars' plans. Might be available for a draft pick and a bag of pucks. Definitely a high-risk/high-reward kind of scenario though.

 

Unfortunately he shoots right ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Would there be any point in taking a flyer on Julius Honka? He's 23, an RFA and clearly doesn't fit into the Stars' plans. Might be available for a draft pick and a bag of pucks. Definitely a high-risk/high-reward kind of scenario though.

 

Unfortunately he shoots right ...

 

I'd take a flyer for a cheap price. I've always thought he has talent.  

I actually think shooting right is an advantage for him.  At RHD we can afford to have a 7th or 8th defenceman.  At LHD anyone we acquire has to be a top 4, we have more than enough bottom pair and press box guys. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we could offer them Hudon in a swap of misfit RFAs? Dallas has plenty of D and there is a chance that a change of scenery would help Hudon.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe we could offer them Hudon in a swap of misfit RFAs? Dallas has plenty of D and there is a chance that a change of scenery would help Hudon.

 

Thats actually a decent offer imo.

 

Honka has better pedigree in terms of draft status but Hudon has more success at the NHL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×