Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Word is Anaheim and Corey Perry are parting ways either through trade or buyout.

Trade cap problems: Alzner for Perry. Anaheim pays less money over a longer term, Habs pay more money for a lesser term. Anaheim gets a defenseman who might actually fit their system, and the Habs get a right handed winger who has a chance of bouncing back from an off year.

• Like 1

On 2019-06-01 at 7:28 PM, illWill said:

I would like nothing more than to trade that 1st rounder towards a trade for Gostisbehere. Pay whatever it costs 

It sounds like Philly has some interest in Shaw... 15th, 50th, and shaw for Gostisbehere. 

Craig button having a wide variance with others isnt new.  Thats a regular feature of buttons list.

He has unpopular opinions and sticks to them.   Nothing wrong with that, but just something to keep in mind when wondering about his variances.

Not really a trade proposal, but we can probably add San Jose to the list of teams with poachable RFAs. Lebanc and Meier both need a new deal, and the Sharks are unlikely to be able to match even a 2nd round pick compensation offer.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Not really a trade proposal, but we can probably add San Jose to the list of teams with poachable RFAs. Lebanc and Meier both need a new deal, and the Sharks are unlikely to be able to match even a 2nd round pick compensation offer.

I think they would match a Meier deal. I thought I heard discussions that they feel there is more ceiling with him. 

32 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think they would match a Meier deal. I thought I heard discussions that they feel there is more ceiling with him. 

I’d still be all over sending Meier a deal. 

Say a 7 year deal at 6.34 a year. That means we give up a first and a third. Meier is 100% worth that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I’d still be all over sending Meier a deal. 

Say a 7 year deal at 6.34 a year. That means we give up a first and a third. Meier is 100% worth that. 

Youd give up more.

7 year deals... the aav for compensation purposes is total value divided by 5

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Youd give up more.

7 year deals... the aav for compensation purposes is total value divided by 5

Ah so, sending a 4.5 x 7 offer = compensation of a first and third. 

A couple easy fixes. Maybe Meier would accept a 6.3 x 5 deal to keep the compensation lower. He would be a 27 year old UFA when finished, and able to cash in if he was worth his current deal. 

Or, we take a bigger hit. Meier is still worth a first second and third I’d say which is the next compensation bracket. 

Send the 6.3 x 7 and give em the picks.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, Meller93 said:

A couple easy fixes. Maybe Meier would accept a 6.3 x 5 deal to keep the compensation lower. He would be a 27 year old UFA when finished, and able to cash in if he was worth his current deal. 

Or, we take a bigger hit. Meier is still worth a first second and third I’d say which is the next compensation bracket. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

^ Great tool for this. Shows you what you'd give up, and which teams can do it. 

• Upvote 2

EDM: Puljujarvi

MTL: Hudon + a pick

In order to make the value work I’m not sure what round that pick would have to be. 

Both players need a change change of scenery, Hudon might actually be able to find himself in the top 6 next to Draisaitl Nuge or mcdavid.

Very very low risk on our end for someone with very high upside.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:38 AM, Trizzak said:

Word is Anaheim and Corey Perry are parting ways either through trade or buyout.

Trade cap problems: Alzner for Perry. Anaheim pays less money over a longer term, Habs pay more money for a lesser term. Anaheim gets a defenseman who might actually fit their system, and the Habs get a right handed winger who has a chance of bouncing back from an off year.

Perry is available for free now ... well, as a UFA at least. And probably not an expensive contract, either, given that he already gets the buyout.

13 hours ago, Meller93 said:

EDM: Puljujarvi

MTL: Hudon + a pick

In order to make the value work I’m not sure what round that pick would have to be. 

Both players need a change change of scenery, Hudon might actually be able to find himself in the top 6 next to Draisaitl Nuge or mcdavid.

Very very low risk on our end for someone with very high upside.

One of our 5th pick maybe.

I like that proposal.

• Like 1

On 2019-06-17 at 4:50 PM, Meller93 said:

Forgot SJ.. if I’m sending a sheet to anybody it’s Werenski in Columbus. He’d be the perfect solution on the left and CBJ has lots of money invested in their D.

A Werenski and Weber top pairing would be wild!

4 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Forgot SJ.. if I’m sending a sheet to anybody it’s Werenski in Columbus. He’d be the perfect solution on the left and CBJ has lots of money invested in their D.

A Werenski and Weber top pairing would be wild!

CbJ has boatloads of cap space.  They match.

I'm not sure where to put this question, so I've put it here...sorry if it's the wrong spot.

Hypothetically, if a team wanted to make an offer sheet to a Mitch Marner type of player, I know the compensation is connected to the amount of $ offered to the player.

So let's say for argument sake it's 4 first round picks plus.....

Does the team then have to go out and somehow get 3 more first round picks, assuming they have their own this year?

Do the picks have to all be for one year or can they be spread out over a few years? So could a team give the Leafs their own first round pick for the next 3 years after giving up their own this year? 

Can they be anywhere in the first round? So 4 late first round picks?

Just curious as I was thinking about what it would cost a team if they did make an offer sheet to a Marner type of player. Depending on the answers to my questions, Marner would be a fabulous pickup, but what would it cost you to go out and get 4 picks if you had to versus just giving up your own first round picks this year and the next 3.

Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, REV-G said:

I'm not sure where to put this question, so I've put it here...sorry if it's the wrong spot.

Hypothetically, if a team wanted to make an offer sheet to a Mitch Marner type of player, I know the compensation is connected to the amount of $ offered to the player.

So let's say for argument sake it's 4 first round picks plus.....

Does the team then have to go out and somehow get 3 more first round picks, assuming they have their own this year?

Do the picks have to all be for one year or can they be spread out over a few years? So could a team give the Leafs their own first round pick for the next 3 years after giving up their own this year? 

Can they be anywhere in the first round? So 4 late first round picks?

Just curious as I was thinking about what it would cost a team if they did make an offer sheet to a Marner type of player. Depending on the answers to my questions, Marner would be a fabulous pickup, but what would it cost you to go out and get 4 picks if you had to versus just giving up your own first round picks this year and the next 3.

Thanks. 

The team has to give their OWN first round pick for the next four years.  You can not acquire someone else's pick and substitute it. 

If you have already made a trade of your future pick, you must reacquire it before you can make an offer sheet. 

Thinking about Karl Alzner...

I was thrilled when we signed him. I saw him as a steady defensive ironman guy that would make our PK better, an elite shut-down guy.

Things didn’t turn out that way, but is his value zero?!

There must be some kind of creative sollution for the habs, for Alzner and the NHL to trade him to a team where he would be an asset.

Perry was talked about, but is there no one else?!

1 hour ago, ch_nl said:

I was thrilled when we signed him. I saw him as a steady defensive ironman guy that would make our PK better, an elite shut-down guy.

There must be some kind of creative sollution for the habs, for Alzner and the NHL to trade him to a team where he would be an asset.

Perry was bought out. 

That is Alzner's value.  Its negative right now.  If you trade him, its for someone else's problem, or you dump something with him ala Marleau.

58 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

I think Alzner becomes significantly more tradeable after his signing bonus is paid NEXT July, but he'd still be a negative value contract and will need to be shipped off with an asset. Can also couple that with the 2021 expansion draft and give Seattle an incentive to pick Alzner. 

Ideally, the next CBA comes with a compliance buyout like the last 2 have, but I doubt it happens. 

• Upvote 1

The thing is, yes Alzner's contract sucks.

But given that we have 23 players signed and 10 million in space on Cap Friendly  (as Lehkonen and Armia sign and training camp come guys like Poehling will be off our cap if he doesn't make the team and Weise and Alzner won't be part of that 23.

So realistically we have ~13 million to spend and Armia, Lehkonen to sign and one defenceman to acquire. 

Bottom line, yes Alzner's contract sucks, but we don't need to be in a rush to do anything with it.  Its not hurting us right now.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So realistically we have ~13 million to spend and Armia, Lehkonen to sign and one defenceman to acquire. 

And maybe a backup goalie, too. Though that likely won’t make a huge dent in the cap space.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And maybe a backup goalie, too. Though that likely won’t make a huge dent in the cap space.

A capable backup goalie may cost more than you think - the way the market has gone the last couple of years, expect $2 million or more if you want someone remotely half-decent.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A capable backup goalie may cost more than you think - the way the market has gone the last couple of years, expect $2 million or more if you want someone remotely half-decent.

Sure, but you sign a backup and you can knock 750 off the capfriendly sheet for Lindgren too... so its like 1.25 out of that 13. 

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sure, but you sign a backup and you can knock 750 off the capfriendly sheet for Lindgren too... so its like 1.25 out of that 13. 

Believe me, I know.  But the days of signing veteran backups for money that Alex Auld and Peter Budaj got (the last time the Habs really turned to veteran backups before Niemi) are long gone so I was just putting that out there.