Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Believe me, I know.  But the days of signing veteran backups for money that Alex Auld and Peter Budaj got (the last time the Habs really turned to veteran backups before Niemi) are long gone so I was just putting that out there.

Yes. Am aware of that. But if the incremental cost (over Lindgren) of a good backup is $1.5M or less, I consider that "not a huge dent". :)

On 5/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, Commandant said:

I'd take a flyer for a cheap price. I've always thought he has talent.  

I actually think shooting right is an advantage for him.  At RHD we can afford to have a 7th or 8th defenceman.  At LHD anyone we acquire has to be a top 4, we have more than enough bottom pair and press box guys. 

The latest update from the Athletic on Julius Honka:

Honka wasn’t moved at the trade deadline for the same reason, but as teams start to fill out their rosters around July 1 and get further cap-crunched, Honka’s value is only expected to rise.

To be clear, regardless of his increased value, the return in any deal won’t be enormous.Jamie Oleksiak was worth a fourth-round pick. That’s a realistic range for Honka in a simpler deal. Honka could also be worth more in a trade for another player who happens to be on the block because another team is tight against the cap.

Seems like a swap with Hudon would likely be enough to get the deal done. And it would free up about $1M of cap space for us, too. If it doesn't work out, we don't have much to lose in any case.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If MB doesn't spend money on a free agent then he really should make the kind of deal you suggest with Vegas or others. I like the trade Carolina made to take Marleau. With the cap lower than expected you would think those deals are out there.  

There are so few free agents I'd want to spend on.

On defence now, its Gardiner and thats it (and I doubt he comes to Montreal for the media/fans we already discussed and how he was treated in the Toronto market)

At forward its Duchene (likely going to Nashville)

Panarin (Florida likely, maybe LA or New York), 
Lee (Islanders or Minnesota)
Pavelski (age means he is looking for a contender, so not us). 
Nyquist (I'd take a chance on him to help the PP, but I wouldn't go huge money, similar to Tatar's deal). 

That's about it.... 

So at that point you are looking at trade options. 

My first priority would be a Gostisbehere or a Cam Fowler, or another mid-20s, puck moving defenceman for the Left side.   If that is too expensive, then do the Armia/Mason deal again and get even more as teams are more cap crunched.   I'd limit these to guys with 1 year on their deals, no Lucic. 

Crunched right now.... Vegas, Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Tampa (though the LTIR for Callahan helps), Philly (have 18m on capfriendly, but their RFA list is gonna cost a lot of that), Toronto, 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Seems like a swap with Hudon would likely be enough to get the deal done. And it would free up about $1M of cap space for us, too. If it doesn't work out, we don't have much to lose in any case.

Curious, how does it save money on the cap?  They're both RFAs.  Yes, Honka making it over Juulsen/Folin with the one missing going to the minors saves money but chances are that Honka would cost as much or more than them.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Curious, how does it save money on the cap?  They're both RFAs.  Yes, Honka making it over Juulsen/Folin with the one missing going to the minors saves money but chances are that Honka would cost as much or more than them.

The speculation on the Dallas side is that Honka would not get much more than the minimum qualifying offer. But whatever the cap savings, if any, it would be a secondary benefit. Getting an additional young D prospect would be more significant.

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The speculation on the Dallas side is that Honka would not get much more than the minimum qualifying offer. But whatever the cap savings, if any, it would be a secondary benefit. Getting an additional young D prospect would be more significant.

His QO is for $874,125.  I could see that jumping to $900,000 or so.  Hudon shouldn't get much more than that on his next deal; frankly, he should be around that $900,000 mark as well but with arbitration, that could go a bit higher.  I'd do the deal from a Montreal perspective but I'd rather just deal Hudon for a pick or an unsigned prospect and clear a contract slot.

Just a thought, I hear a lot of talk about getting Shayne Gostisbehere. My questions is, why is he available? Has he done something or is it a cap issue. Just curious. 

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Flyers have a pretty solid D corps now, but need help up front, so Gostisbehere is expendable.

This Flyers site proposes the Flyers asking for Drouin in trade (yes, please):

https://www.phillyvoice.com/nhl-rumors-flyers-trade-shayne-gostisbehere-montreal-canadiens-listening-calls/

I trade Drouin for a quality LD in a heartbeat. I don't think MB does.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, REV-G said:

Just a thought, I hear a lot of talk about getting Shayne Gostisbehere. My questions is, why is he available? Has he done something or is it a cap issue. Just curious. 

They have Provorov, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, and Myers at LD. 

Myers is NHL ready and on a cheap contract. 

Provorov and Sanheim were better than Gostisbehere last year, are younger, and both were 1st rounders the Flyers developed. 

Its too expensive to have Gostisbehere as the third pair LD when they have a perfectly fine rookie #3 LD on a cheap deal and they need help at forward. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Not suggesting it happens.. but what kind of Dman could we get back for Poehling.. just having a friendly discussion at work..

I like the way you’re thinking - not because I want to lose Poehling or whoever, but because fixing huge roster holes almost always involves a painful, gutsy decision like this. You have to give to get.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like the way you’re thinking - not because I want to lose Poehling or whoever, but because fixing huge roster holes almost always involves a painful, gutsy decision like this. You have to give to get.

Who would be actually looking to do the reverse, to give up a good defenceman for a young forward prospect?

Philly may be shopping Gostisbehere around, but I think they would likely be more interested in a Drouin or a Shaw (immediate help) rather than someone like Poehling (higher ceiling, but not immediately, and possibly things may not pan out).

Trade Drouin for Ghost, sign Lee, send Hudon to Edm for Puljujarvi. Since the rumor is that he's interested in the Habs, bring in Perry on a short, cheap deal. although I could take/leave that last suggestion.

32 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd rather give up drouin then poehling... personally

Why would you trade a 24 yr old top six winger vs a kid, who has played 1 game in NHL and wasnt a big scorer at all in the NCAA before that ( all of 8g last year and 29g in his 107gms)?:devil:

2 hours ago, DON said:

Why would you trade a 24 yr old top six winger vs a kid, who has played 1 game in NHL and wasnt a big scorer at all in the NCAA before that ( all of 8g last year and 29g in his 107gms)?:devil:

And only three NHL goals in his entire career ...

How about a 2 for 2 trade..

Poehling and Juulsen to Philly for Ghost and Ratcliffe. 

Montreal gets their Dman and a good young winger and Philly gets 2 good prospects. 

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

How about a 2 for 2 trade..

Poehling and Juulsen to Philly for Ghost and Ratcliffe. 

Montreal gets their Dman and a good young winger and Philly gets 2 good prospects. 

Why? Drouin would be a much better option for Gostisbehere. And I don't think Philadelphia needs a defenceman prospect.