Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I would be very interested in trading Price if we could get something approximating full value back for the most prestigious and accomplished player at his position in the league. But Commandant is correct, there will be a glut of G on the market this summer. The only way we get real 'impact' value for Price is if a Colorado concludes that he will be the missing piece to a contender. 

I think he can be that, and that a strong team acquiring him will be rewarded with vintage CP. But I think GMs will tend to rationalize their way out of this conclusion, and also that MB won't look to move Price unless Carey puts a gun to his head.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

If I were Price watching the poop show of hockey this team produces every night would have made that request already 

It does look as though his "warning" to the team last summer was an idle threat. I presume his wife and kid are happy in Montreal and don't want to move. Because it's hard to believe Price is looking at said poop show and going, 'oh yeah, I totally see contention in a year or two.'

Keep Tuna and Petry. 
trade Domi for that much needed dman.

If Kovalchuk wants to stay a hab then dont trade him and resign him instead.

maybe sign some needs this summer and then hope for a little more injuryluck next year and the team isnt as bad as it seems.

Maybe KK, Romanov and Caufield can bring some extra spark also.

Glass is half full. 😄

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Keep Tuna and Petry. 
trade Domi for that much needed dman.

If Kovalchuk wants to stay a hab then dont trade him and resign him instead.

maybe sign some needs this summer and then hope for a little more injuryluck next year and the team isnt as bad as it seems.

Maybe KK, Romanov and Caufield can bring some extra spark also.

Glass is half full. 😄

Keeping the guys who need extensions in 2021 when they will be 30 and 32 ... while trading the 24 year old to rebuild is a unique strategy.

We need to look at age.  At some point Petry needs to be replaced.  I want no part of his next contract starting at age 34.  Tatar is in a similar situation with a contract extension starting at 30.  They dont need to be traded now, there is time if you dont get the right offer and want to do it in summer or next year, but i wouldnt give them the long term extensions they will likely ask for.

Im more comfortable with 1 year for kovalchuk than 4 for petry or 6 for tatar

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Keeping the guys who need extensions in 2021 when they will be 30 and 32 ... while trading the 24 year old to rebuild is a unique strategy.

We need to look at age.  At some point Petry needs to be replaced.  I want no part of his next contract starting at age 34.  Tatar is in a similar situation with a contract extension starting at 30.  They dont need to be traded now, there is time if you dont get the right offer and want to do it in summer or next year, but i wouldnt give them the long term extensions they will likely ask for.

I just want to see where we are in the middle of next season before trading them. Maybe we need them for a chance at a good playoff run so instead of trading for new rentals we keep the ones we have already.

I was against trading Petry for the same reasons that Cucumber outlined but if the recent trades are any indication then Petry would bring us a mighty return.

If we can turn Tatar, Petry and Domi (I'm not convinced that he is more than a one year wonder) into a grade A forward prospect, 2 grade A defense prospects and 3 1st rounders then we would be crazy not to do it. This kind of return would greatly speed up our reset.

If by some miracle we can get a good return for Drouin then we jump on that and count our blessings.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2020 at 4:04 AM, Commandant said:

I still believe Petry should be traded this year when his value is still high because of his age. But Tatar is a bit younger and may have another productive contract in the tank

Domi is expendable, he is useless on the 3rd line at center and even worse if on the wing.

He lost his spot but may be valuable for other

clubs lacking depth at center

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I still believe Petry should be traded this year when his value is still high because of his age. But Tatar is a bit younger and may have another productive contract in the tank

Domi is expendable, he is useless on the 3rd line at center and even worse if on the wing.

He lost his spot but may be valuable for other

clubs lacking depth at center

I strongly disagree on the words "useless"

Having three strong lines is a good thing.  Also with the team (as most teams do) using 4 forwards on the PP, he's going to get his time.  

If someone offers a young, top 4 dman, then fine... trade him.  But the idea that he's useless... I don't find 24 year olds who just put up 72 points one year ago, and have grit, to be useless to a rebuilding team.  He's just entering his prime now, I don't think giving him up in order to give Tatar a contract makes sense.  Tatar is about to be 30 when he hits UFA.  We are going to see him ask for 6 years or more, he's not taking a short term deal.  I want no part of that, even if he's got 2-3 good years left.  Trade him, just like we traded Pacioretty.  Tatar should move, either now or in the off-season. 

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If Bergevin succeeds in signing Kovalchuk to a short contract this week, I think all three should be expendable, as long as the  price is right.

Why in hell would you sign Kovalchuk?

3 points in last 10games is him coming back to earth and about what I expected to begin with. Am sure some GMs are starting to look elsewhere for a vet winger rental.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If Bergevin succeeds in signing Kovalchuk to a short contract this week, I think all three should be expendable, as long as the  price is right.

Id like to sign kovalchuk to a short deal but thats a stop-gap til caufield and ylonen and others are ready... thats not a replacement that makes a 24 year old expendable.  

Signing a 36 year old doesnt mean you trade someone who is just starting his prime.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Id like to sign kovalchuk to a short deal but thats a stop-gap til caufield and ylonen and others are ready... thats not a replacement that makes a 24 year old expendable.  

Signing a 36 year old doesnt mean you trade someone who is just starting his prime.

Agree that Kovalchuk would be a short-term solution.

From an age point of view, Domi is a keeper. The question is whether he is a good fit for the team. I’m personally undecided on that.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Agree that Kovalchuk would be a short-term solution.

From an age point of view, Domi is a keeper. The question is whether he is a good fit for the team. I’m personally undecided on that.

Last season he proved he can be a difference maker.  I dont throw that away cause hes had a rough season on a team that has had its challenges.

It takes a special type of personality to embrace and excel in a market like Montreal.  Hes embraced it like few others and he has shown that he can excel.  I think you have to be very careful giving up on that, especially given his age.

I would not want to see Domi go either. Hes young and we should ge adding to thiese young guys...

Kovalchuk on a 1year deal is a no brainer... we can deadline deal both him and Tatar and Petry next year to add more picks to the 2021 draft. Of course if the offer is to be good to true this year then pull the trigger. 

I'm repeating myself here - Lord knows, we wouldn't want that! - but for me the issue with Domi is a longer-range one. He is quite obviously a go-to option at C for the current group, but there seem to be structural problems in his game at centre: bad at FOs, not great in his own end. But moving him to wing is not really an option, given that his production there is consistently mediocre.

Now a contending team might be able to carry a C like as a #2 behind a real strong, stud #1C. But unless KoKo or Suzuki has it in them to be that stud #1, we will probably need a less flawed #2C if we ever want to vault ourselves into the ranks of the top teams.

So I see Domi as a transitional C. Or at least, that's what he would be if the Habs ever become more than mediocre themselves. He's one of these players who is tailor-made to excel on relatively weak teams, but will tend to get crowded out on a really strong one.

This doesn't mean we should get rid of him in the short term. Not at all. And who knows, maybe he will learn to fix those weaknesses in his game. I'm just saying that I don't see him as part of a medium-term plan to contend.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm repeating myself here - Lord knows, we wouldn't want that! - but for me the issue with Domi is a longer-range one. He is quite obviously a go-to option at C for the current group, but there seem to be structural problems in his game at centre: bad at FOs, not great in his own end. But moving him to wing is not really an option, given that his production there is consistently mediocre.

Now a contending team might be able to carry a C like as a #2 behind a real strong, stud #1C. But unless KoKo or Suzuki has it in them to be that stud #1, we will probably need a less flawed #2C if we ever want to vault ourselves into the ranks of the top teams.

So I see Domi as a transitional C. Or at least, that's what he would be if the Habs ever become more than mediocre themselves. He's one of these players who is tailor-made to excel on relatively weak teams, but will tend to get crowded out on a really strong one.

This doesn't mean we should get rid of him in the short term. Not at all. And who knows, maybe he will learn to fix those weaknesses in his game. I'm just saying that I don't see him as part of a medium-term plan to contend.

Agree on this evaluation of Domi's role with the CH. And when he drives me nuts, I just want him gone. 

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But those are all things that can be worked on with development.  I wouldn't give up on him also, but out of our centers he's the one giving you the best trade value. I guess his this year's Pacioretty.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

But those are all things that can be worked on with development.  I wouldn't give up on him also, but out of our centers he's the one giving you the best trade value. I guess his this year's Pacioretty.

But Patches was pushing 30 and an impending UFA...if you trade a 24 year old impending RFA for prospects/even younger youth, what are the odds that the return ends up being better than Domi? Pretty slim.

So the only way I'd see Domi getting dealt is as part of some really huge multi-player blockbuster deal that brings back a truly elite player. That's to say, a true hockey trade, not a deadline sell-off.

I agree that he can work on his flaws, but let's remember he's a 5-year vet at this point. Not to say he can't improve, of course; that will depend on how "coachable" he is. He strikes me as a hot-head who maybe isn't super-coachable, but that's just sheer impression on my part, not based on any actual knowledge of the guy.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But Patches was pushing 30 and an impending UFA...if you trade a 24 year old impending RFA for prospects/even younger youth, what are the odds that the return ends up being better than Domi? Pretty slim.

So the only way I'd see Domi getting dealt is as part of some really huge multi-player blockbuster deal that brings back a truly elite player. That's to say, a true hockey trade, not a deadline sell-off.

I agree that he can work on his flaws, but let's remember he's a 5-year vet at this point. Not to say he can't improve, of course; that will depend on how "coachable" he is. He strikes me as a hot-head who maybe isn't super-coachable, but that's just sheer impression on my part, not based on any actual knowledge of the guy.

What worries me is is the big year he had the norm and this is a down year, or was last year like galchenyuk’s 30 goal year or like a kjell Dahlin year.

I have not seen this trade proposal, based on MB's scouting of COL:

To Colorado:

Max Domi and Lindgren (may add 3rd round 2020 if needed)

To Montreal:

1st round 2020, Conor Timmins(RD) and Adam Werner(G)

It helps the Avalanche short-term and gives them some goalie depth (from what I read, seems they need that). Why would they do it: They've lost Kadri and seem to need offensive help.

For Montreal, it clears the logjam at center for the prospects, gets a solid RD prospect and adds a 1st round pick in 2020. Timmins and Werner are exempt from the Seattle expansion and seem to be solid prospects.

If colorado wants a goalie... they arent interested in lindgren, kinkaid or anything montreal.is offering.

The habs/colorado interest is one of the other points there.  Its not goaltending.

Bergevin also.isnt attending avalanche games to watch timmins or werner who arent playing. And the avs scouts werent at the detroit game watching what lindgren did on the bench