Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would not mind Oleksiak now to fill in for Chiarot until his return and then sliding down the the 3rd pair

Yes. Lindell would be better but he may be untouchable.

Nashville has won 7 of 10 and 5 in a row (tied for 4th playoff spot) ... perhaps less likely to consider dealing Ekholm ... plus, Florida just lost their 25:05 TOI defenceman Ekblad, and it looks BAD (see below), so expect they are added to the teams in the market for a top 4 quality defenceman ... D market is getting tougher

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Nashville has won 7 of 10 and 5 in a row (tied for 4th playoff spot) ... perhaps less likely to consider dealing Ekholm ... plus, Florida just lost their 25:05 TOI defenceman Ekblad, and it looks BAD (see below), so expect they are added to the teams in the market for a top 4 quality defenceman ... D market is getting tougher

Ekblad looked to be in a lot of pain, hopefully he is OK.  Nashville is definitely in the thick of the playoff race. The only way you would think they would want to trade Ekholm is if they have decided to do a rebuild or if they think his market value is at a maximum which it probably is. 

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Wasnt aware of his 4.5 million cap hit for 2 years. That seems high for Ghost but he is the type of player our D needs

Agree ...I expect that, like Byron, he is on waivers because they are confident he won't get claimed because of his contract ... although I expect there is a greater chance that someone might be tempted by a 27 yr-old, 20 minute pregame defenceman than a 4th line (borderline 3rd line) soon to be 32 yr-old.

Interesting how not that long ago there was a lot of debate on this board on how much we should give up for Gotisbehere. Now we can claim him for free and won't. I know it's not that simple as the salary cap plays a determining factor right now but obviously his stock has fallen a whole lot. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gotisbehere is a turnover machine that had some productive seasons a few years back 

Better this year than last year, but still overpaid, just like all the Habs players whose last names start with a "B" and a "y".

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agree ...I expect that, like Byron, he is on waivers because they are confident he won't get claimed because of his contract ... although I expect there is a greater chance that someone might be tempted by a 27 yr-old, 20 minute pregame defenceman than a 4th line (borderline 3rd line) soon to be 32 yr-old.

I expect him to get claimed.  He's a perfect fit in Ottawa actually. 

Ottawa's defence is brutal and he would be top 4 there. 

His cap hit is 4.5 million, but his actual salary is 3.25 million in each of the next two years, so another player that helps them get to the cap floor while spending less.  If Melnyk was struggling pre-covid, what about now. 

They are pretty low in the standings and thus have a high priority. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Better this year than last year, but still overpaid, just like all the Habs players whose last names start with a "B" and a "y".

i wonder if Philly would be willing to swap the two.  Byron's cap hit is less.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I wonder if a byron/ghost trade works.

Philly could use a Byron moreso? And do the $$s/term work for both teams?

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Both cleared

Both 2 years left

Byron cheaper so it saves philly cap space.

Montreal needs a LD who can skate.

I pondered the same thing ... there have been lots of criticism of Shayne as a defensive risk, but he is third in 5-on-5 TOI for Flyers D and third in their +/- (-1) ... behind Provorov (top TOI at +4) and Braun (3rd pairing +8) ... so not an absolute sieve, this season anyway ... not my first choice but trades, especially this season, are the art of the possible ... worth consideration ... but recent rumours are that the Flyers are looking for either an upgrade on defence or a legit short-term goaltender to take the burden off Hart and allow him to hopefully reset his game ... so likely not a match

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Philly could use a Byron moreso? And do the $$s/term work for both teams?

Term is the same.

Byron is 1.1 mill cheaper (cap hit).  So philly clears some space here.  Not as much as they wanted with putting him on waivers but no one claimed him

The advantage for philly is clearing that space that they want to clear.  1 mill cleared would be valuable towards adding another backup goalie.

Arpon Basu had an article today about trading Byron or Lehkonen to free up cap space (for D improvement). He made the point that it's not just cap space ... here are his concluding paragraphs:

The reasons Bergevin should be looking to shed money are obvious. The cap gymnastics required simply to ice a lineup made that plain Tuesday. But what Bergevin really needs to ask himself is what is he willing to give up to clear cap space?

Because it’s not only about the cap space, and it’s not only about the picks and/or prospects it would cost to create some. It also comes down to what kind of team Bergevin wants entering the playoffs, and having highly disruptive players such as Byron and Lehkonen feels important to that big-picture view.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Arpon Basu had an article today about trading Byron or Lehkonen to free up cap space (for D improvement). He made the point that it's not just cap space ... here are his concluding paragraphs:

I know we want them for injury depth but it kind of sucks that one of them sit every night (with full roster). 

I think we should trade Mete and one of Lehkonen/Byron/Armia if there is a market.  Especially if we get a LD in a trade - Kulak likely odd man out if we do ( too bad cause he looks great with Petry). 

I expect Evans is going to Laval and Caufield will join the team at some point. Not even sure what our cost on Staal is but I think Byron would need to be on taxi unless there is a trade

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Term is the same.

Byron is 1.1 mill cheaper (cap hit).  So philly clears some space here.  Not as much as they wanted with putting him on waivers but no one claimed him

The advantage for philly is clearing that space that they want to clear.  1 mill cleared would be valuable towards adding another backup goalie.

Thanks.

Was Romanov playing some shifts with Weber last game? Or was it just coincidence they were on together (maybe was mid-change of partners?) 

I tried to watch Romanov on the PK and he seemed to be playing smart at least and mindful in front of net. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Both cleared

Both 2 years left

Byron cheaper so it saves philly cap space.

Montreal needs a LD who can skate.

I don't think Montreal can afford such a deal with their current cap situation.

Today's date and twitter handle are well noted.

But conceptually, if Chicago retained $2.2 million I would consider the trade (don't know that Chicago would, it will cost more to dispose of Byron) ... Keith has never played less than 23 minutes per game in his career, the question is whether that now is because the Chicago defence is poor ... but he might well be another Chara in terms of longevity ... it would mean Romanov moving back to the right-side ... cap-wise, including Chiarot might be an option to Chicago retaining salary, and it would likely still cost more in terms of prospects/draft picks

Looking at teams out of the playoffs with some cap room, maybe we can pull this one off. Although I find the 2nd drft pick expensive for the Habs:

To PHI: 2021 2nd round pick & Armia($2.6M) & Mete($0.7)

To Montreal: Robert Hagg (LD $1.6M signed until 2022) & Wyatte Wylie(RD prospect)

The Habs get a decent top 4 LD on a cheap contract, cap space and an RD with some potential

Phily gets a big fast bottom 6 player that seems to fit with their club. A LD that can play RD and can move the puck and a good draft pick.

Hagg is currently in the IR, but should be coming out in a week and because he has not been with the team he has (hopefully) been away from any COVID outbreaks

With more than half the the season gone, I think the salaries fit under the cap.

Edited by alfredoh2009

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Looking at teams out of the playoffs with some cap room, maybe we can pull this one off. Although I find it expensive for the Habs:

To PHI: 2021 2nd round pick & Armia($2.6M) & Mete($0.7)

To Montreal: Robert Hagg (LD $1.6M signed until 2022) & Wyatte Wylie(RD prospect)

The Habs get a decent top 4 LD on a cheap contract, cap space and an RD with some potential

Phily gets a big fast bottom 6 player that seems to fit with their club. A LD that can play RD and can move the puck and a good draft pick.

Hagg is currently in the IR, but should be coming out in a week and because he has not been with the team he has (hopefully) been away from any COVID outbreaks

With more than half the the season gone, I think the salaries fit under the cap.

Hagg has played fewer minutes each season of his career ... from 21:19 as a rookie to 18:08 to 16:57 to 15:36 to 14:27 this season ... don't see MB going after him