Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Captain mountain man for Dahlin😬

Nothing wrong with dreaming right? Although I think we have a better chance of another four peat to win our 28th cup than that happening.

Plus we could throw in a 2nd round pick as a sweetener?  LOL   I think Dahlin is likely about the last player Buffalo would trade but what do I know. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Having an elite forward on the Habs would be amazing. 

Im worried about his neck 

Ha ha, this post nicely captures everything to be said about Eichel to the Habs.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Neech said:

It might just be time to blow it all up.

To VAN:

Brendan Gallagher

To MTL:

Loui Ericksson

Antoine Roussel

2 1st rounders

I guarantee you Van would be all over that. I might try for an actual roster player back.

And y’know, it’s not a crazy idea. Gally’s long-term durability has to be a question-mark. This is two consecutive playoffs where he is too injured to really help. He’ll be 30. He’s on a hefty ticket. This kind of outside-the-box move might be what the doctor ordered. However, MB prefers to let his best players age out and get nothing back for them, so it *certainly* will not happen under his leadership.

I always thought of Gallagher as being on a similar career path to Marchand but for the first time this year am starting to doubt that. I agree that his physical play and devoted hustle is starting to catch up to him. He still has some positive years ahead of him, and I’m happy to keep him but I see the point.

As for Antoine Roussel and Loui Eriksson? Ew.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guarantee you Van would be all over that. I might try for an actual roster player back.

And y’know, it’s not a crazy idea. Gally’s long-term durability has to be a question-mark. This is two consecutive playoffs where he is too injured to really help. He’ll be 30. He’s on a hefty ticket. This kind of outside-the-box move might be what the doctor ordered. However, MB prefers to let his best players age out and get nothing back for them, so it *certainly* will not happen under his leadership.

I don't think Vancouver would be all over that. Roussel and Erickson only have 1 more year of bad contracts and 2 first rounders is a huge price to pay for a forward who has a few good years left but has a lot of miles on his body. 

To COL:

Tyler Toffoli

Kaiden Guhle

To MTL:

Erik Johnson

Bowen Byram

1st rounder

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, these moves are contingent on someone new taking over and actually, for the first time ever, embarking on a real rebuild.  We've been treading water around the middle of the league for 25 years, sometimes near-ish to the top or bottom, but never with a real shot at the Cup.  We've never had the elite talent to compete, and as we all know the way to get that is through the draft.  It's time to maximize the value of all our players over 25 and go for a real youth movement.  

38 minutes ago, Neech said:

To COL:

Tyler Toffoli

Kaiden Guhle

To MTL:

Erik Johnson

Bowen Byram

1st rounder

Yeah, these moves are contingent on someone new taking over and actually, for the first time ever, embarking on a real rebuild.  We've been treading water around the middle of the league for 25 years, sometimes near-ish to the top or bottom, but never with a real shot at the Cup.  We've never had the elite talent to compete, and as we all know the way to get that is through the draft.  It's time to maximize the value of all our players over 25 and go for a real youth movement.  

That is an interesting trade. Obviously Byram is the key here for Montreal but would Colorado be willing to give him up?  Perhaps if they don't win the cup this year they might look for more secondary scoring and Toffoli has an attractive cap hit. They already have perhaps the best young defenceman in the game in Makar.  Colorado is another example of a team that has really drafted well, had some high picks and nailed them.  They got Tyson Barrie, Ryan O'Reilly and Matt Duchesne the same year, not bad. 

I was actually reviewing the Habs draft history and it was quite interesting. I knew it wasn't good but;

(2007) - outstanding year, drafted Ryan Mcdonagh, Max Pacioretty and PK Subban, 

(2008 - 2015), simply awful, a couple late round nuggets like Brendan Gallagher and Jake Evans,  turned Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson but this period was just terrible and no doubt one of the main reasons the Habs are where they are today. 

(2016 - present) much better but gave up on Sergachev, still too soon to tell on many of the picks (ie. KK, Ylonen, Poehling, Brooks, Harris etc) but Caulfield looking like a great pick, Romanov an excellent pick in the second round, Primeau maybe a steal in the 7th round. 

3 hours ago, Neech said:

... Yeah, these moves are contingent on someone new taking over and actually, for the first time ever, embarking on a real rebuild ...

When your defence is unable to consistently regain puck possession and successfully transition to offence when under pressure (or sometimes even not under pressure) ... when your powerplay lacks quarterbacks to run each unit ... when you depend on the draft to address those two key weaknesses because you are unwilling/unable to move the assets to obtain solutions ... and ... when your 1/2C positions are still awaiting the development of two promising youngsters into legit, NHLers capable of delivering consistently at a high enough level ... you are already in a rebuild ... just not a teardown/tank rebuild.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was actually reviewing the Habs draft history and it was quite interesting. I knew it wasn't good but;

(2007) - outstanding year, drafted Ryan Mcdonagh, Max Pacioretty and PK Subban, 

(2008 - 2015), simply awful, a couple late round nuggets like Brendan Gallagher and Jake Evans,  turned Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson but this period was just terrible and no doubt one of the main reasons the Habs are where they are today. 

(2016 - present) much better but gave up on Sergachev, still too soon to tell on many of the picks (ie. KK, Ylonen, Poehling, Brooks, Harris etc) but Caulfield looking like a great pick, Romanov an excellent pick in the second round, Primeau maybe a steal in the 7th round. 

2016 to present seems to be much better ... but, other than Sergachev in TB, the players are all still unproven prospects at the NHL level ... I do expect more from those drafts than we have seen from the others ... but how many will become top half of the roster players* only time will tell.

* - roughly, the top 6 up front, the top 4 on the blueline and the starting goaltender

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

2016 to present seems to be much better ... but, other than Sergachev in TB, the players are all still unproven prospects at the NHL level ... I do expect more from those drafts than we have seen from the others ... but how many will become top half of the roster players* only time will tell.

* - roughly, the top 6 up front, the top 4 on the blueline and the starting goaltender

Exactly. Until they've played pro for a few years, there's no way of knowing if they drafted well or not.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed, we will only know after looking back in a few years.  The 2008-15 period was so bad that it can only be an improvement, a pretty low bar. You can use trades and free agent signings to fill in gaps but if you look at any good team (Boston, Colorado, Toronto etc) their core group came from the draft, I am just stating the obvious here. The Habs needed to do much better at drafting. 

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, we will only know after looking back in a few years.  The 2008-15 period was so bad that it can only be an improvement, a pretty low bar. You can use trades and free agent signings to fill in gaps but if you look at any good team (Boston, Colorado, Toronto etc) their core group came from the draft, I am just stating the obvious here. The Habs needed to do much better at drafting. 

yeah, that periof od 2008 to 2015 was rough, all those 2nd round picks traded away and picking so late that their first rounders had a 50/50 chance of becoming NHLers, even less of being impact players.

that coupled with Juulsen's injury and the duds that were McCarrron, Beaulieu and Tinordi.

But that tide turned with the second rebuild, the retool. Started with a bang when trading P.K. and kind of closes with the Paches deal. These are the players, drafts and recent UFAs that are supposed to compete in the Price/Weber window.

Poehling, Romanov, Primeau, Kotkaniemi, Caufiled and the prospects are up-and-comers. Not their time yet. I would trade a couple this summer if the Habs win two rounds in this year's series: showing they are legit contenders (still can happen); most likely, they will be the next GM's starting point, riding MB's coattails

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yeah, that periof od 2008 to 2015 was rough, all those 2nd round picks traded away and picking so late that their first rounders had a 50/50 chance of becoming NHLers, even less of being impact players.

that coupled with Juulsen's injury and the duds that were McCarrron, Beaulieu and Tinordi.

But that tide turned with the second rebuild, the retool. Started with a bang when trading P.K. and kind of closes with the Paches deal. These are the players, drafts and recent UFAs that are supposed to compete in the Price/Weber window.

Poehling, Romanov, Primeau, Kotkaniemi, Caufiled and the prospects are up-and-comers. Not their time yet. I would trade a couple this summer if the Habs win two rounds in this year's series: showing they are legit contenders (still can happen); most likely, they will be the next GM's starting point, riding MB's coattails

Are you wearing your kids Mr. Potatoes head glasses and moustache as you type this? 

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Are you wearing your kids Mr. Potatoes head glasses and moustache as you type this? 

LOL

that is, the Amazing Mr. Potatohead to you

image.png

Just reading the Edmonton papers today and there is obviously some heat on Holland to improve the team and he identified secondary scoring as something that needs to improve, no surprise there. He was asked if their prospects (Holloway, Bouchard, Broberg) were untouchable, he said no but he wouldn't trade them for a 1 year rental.

I think there might be a fit here. As much as I like Toffoli, if he could bring back a Broberg then I would do that in a heartbeat. Broberg is a fantastic skater, good size, potential stud on defense. How many goals would Toffoli score playing with a McDavid or Draisaitl? 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... As much as I like Toffoli, if he could bring back a Broberg then I would do that in a heartbeat. Broberg is a fantastic skater, good size, potential stud on defense. How many goals would Toffoli score playing with a McDavid or Draisaitl? 

I expect he would get at least 35 ... and not only is Toffoli likely at his peak value for his scoring (three off his career high despite playing 30 fewer games) but $4.25M for three more years is ridiculous value ... Holland would have to at VERY LEAST listen

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect he would get at least 35 ... and not only is Toffoli likely at his peak value for his scoring (three off his career high despite playing 30 fewer games) but $4.25M for three more years is ridiculous value ... Holland would have to at VERY LEAST listen

I would think so. It could be a win-win for both teams. Broberg would help rebuild the Montreal defense and Toffoli would definitely provide secondary scoring and the cap hit is attractive. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Price would be a logical choice for Edmonton, 

Big contract for a big contract, 

I don;t see any other teams who would trade for Price. 

Price isn't going anywhere. The Oilers are resigning Mike Smith.  Price's cap hit is too big to trade, I don't think teams want to tie up that much cap space for a goalie.  Who would the Oilers give up for him?  

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

UNLESS the Habs opened by offering to retain cap hit (say $3M) and to take back Neal I can't see Holland even discussing the possibility of Price.

45 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think if you look at blowing it up and trading Price no better time then now to unload him to Vancouver. He would wave his NTC to go play at home plus Vancouver has no goaltending.

To Vancouver 

Price  Montreal eats 2mil of his contract 

To habs 

2 first round picks And we take on the contracts of Holtby and Eriksson