Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

The complaints about Oajaarvi are the same as the complaints about Naslund. I don't expect paajarvi to be a big hitter, but he has a boat load of talent and the size needed not to be pushed around.

Moen on the other has size has a reputation if being tough, but this year has been getting around a hit a night.

Paajarvi is tough? He averages about 1/2 a hit per game this year, or comparable to Diaz and even less last season. Physical is something he's not. As for Umberger, he'd be someone Columbus would love to unload but with 4 years and $4.6 M per year left, the Habs would be wise to stay away. They dealt Cole in large part for financial reasons, picking him up would go completely against what they just did...and Cole is the better player.

I'd argue that moving a guy like Gio and bringing a more skilled, tougher player, gives us what we need to do well in the playoffs.

I also don't think it's fair to use Perry's career average, you have to consider the last 3 or 4 years, since it took him a while to hit his stride, and also need to consider last year was a down year for most of the team.

Last 4 seasons average:

Perry: 76.4pts -

Malkin: 84pts

Crosby: 78.8

Malkin and Crosby getting 8.7m, Perry want 10m. No matter how you slice it, Perry isn't worth anywhere near 10m. the above number aren't really accurate because Malkin and Crosby both had injury plagued seasons the last 2.

Crosby took less money to sign a 12 year deal, after coming back from a serious concussion. Malkin signed his contract 4 or 5 years ago as an RFA. Totally different situation. I'd give Perry $10m to play for the habs, without even blinking.

Last 4 seasons average:

Perry: 76.4pts -

Malkin: 84pts

Crosby: 78.8

Malkin and Crosby getting 8.7m, Perry want 10m. No matter how you slice it, Perry isn't worth anywhere near 10m. the above number aren't really accurate because Malkin and Crosby both had injury plagued seasons the last 2.

Crosby took less money to sign a 12 year deal, after coming back from a serious concussion. Malkin signed his contract 4 or 5 years ago as an RFA. Totally different situation. I'd give Perry $10m to play for the habs, without even blinking.

Then I'm glad your not the GM of Montreal, no offense. Personally, I can't justify paying Perry his wage(7m), plus a decent 2nd line player/good 3rd line player(3m) for production that will no doubt drop because he doesn't have Getzlaf at center.

Then I'm glad your not the GM of Montreal, no offense. Personally, I can't justify paying Perry his wage(7m), plus a decent 2nd line player/good 3rd line player(3m) for production that will no doubt drop because he doesn't have Getzlaf at center.

Or he may really help fast track Galchenyuk.

Without the inability to have 10-12 year deals, you are going to see more deals in the $8-10M range. ALso have to conciser that given how high the revenue was in a lockout year, after next year the cap is bound to go keep going up.

How are the Habs a long shot to win the cup? They are first in the conference halfway through the season and are playing as well as anybody. They have one of the best goaltenders in the world and we all know what a hot goalie can do in the playoffs. As long as this team stays healthy, there is no reason to think that they cannot make some noise in the spring. Adding a solid veteran player at the deadline would absolutely be the correct move for the right price. They can afford to lose one of their many fringe prospects or picks for a good shot at going deep this year.

I still believe they are a long shot.

The Habs have notbeen a top 5 team for 5 years in a row, they are a team who finished 15thin the East last season.

Yes they look great now but half a season to play.

Will you not be surprised if the Habs win a couple of playoff rounds?

I still believe they are a long shot.

The Habs have notbeen a top 5 team for 5 years in a row, they are a team who finished 15thin the East last season.

Yes they look great now but half a season to play.

Will you not be surprised if the Habs win a couple of playoff rounds

I can see them winning a round or two

I'd be worried if the Flyers put things together and face the habs in the first round. The habs have sucked against the flyers for the past decade.

Same here.

The East is questionable. The Bruins and Penguins look to be the powers in the East and while Boston is a really well put together team, Pittsburgh only wins if they can outscore what Fleury allows. New York and New Jersey would make me a bit uncomfortable and I wouldn't want to play Ottawa or Toronto just based on the heat those games would emit I would hate to see the Habs lose but any other team I know the Habs could take four out of seven.

I fear Boston and Toronto - the former because they really are a better team than us, the latter because (a) we match up badly against them and (b) we have nothing to win from a Leafs-Habs playoff. I've been saying that for years. If we win, well, it doesn't change anything; they've still been losers since 1967. But if they win, they get to rub our noses in it for the next 40 years or so, and we have to hear CBC going on and on for years to come about the 'classic series' of 2013 or whatever.

I guarantee you that if we'd beaten them in the 1993 Finals, we'd still be hearing FAR more about the losing Leafs team than the winning Habs one.

Philly is a good call, but given how they've struggled it's hard to fear them right now. Jersey has Brodeur, so if he's healthy that's a problem. You have to respect Pittsburgh but I like our chances given the guys between the pipes.

So yeah. BO and TO are the teams to dread. :angry:

:o

Nobody in today's NHL is worth $10M/year.

with the backloading deals gone and 7 year limits, i think after next year, we'll start seeing $10M deals. Keep in mind that the league is expecting 2/3 of the revenue in a half season AFTER a prolonged lockout, so the after next year, chances are, we'll be back to a $70M+ cap.

I don't understand the rush to get rid of Gionta. He comes off the cap after next year, and he's still a major contributor. We'll have a lot of space even without getting rid of our captain. Plus, any trade is up to him.

As for Perry, he'd definitely get overpayed on the open market, and looking at his numbers I'm not sure if he's worth the Crosby-level money. He had that one great year but otherwise he hasn't had ppg numbers. Getzlaf isn't quite worth an 8.25 cap hit, but between him and Perry I think the Ducks made the right choice in locking up their big center.

It's important to remember that free-agent frenzy will be different this year, there's a ten day window where teams and players can speak to each other before contract-signing begins, hopefully making it less of a 'frenzy'. I also hope this works to our advantage, as Bergevin seems to be a good negotiator judging from his handling of the Subban situation.

Lets not lose sight that playing hardball with Subban could have ended up in disaster for us, like it did with Colorado. Had another team offered Subban a contract, like o'Reilly's we would have been screwed. IMO, Subban is worth a hell of a lot more then O'Reilly.

I don't understand the rush to get rid of Gionta. He comes off the cap after next year, and he's still a major contributor. We'll have a lot of space even without getting rid of our captain. Plus, any trade is up to him.

As for Perry, he'd definitely get overpayed on the open market, and looking at his numbers I'm not sure if he's worth the Crosby-level money. He had that one great year but otherwise he hasn't had ppg numbers. Getzlaf isn't quite worth an 8.25 cap hit, but between him and Perry I think the Ducks made the right choice in locking up their big center.

It's important to remember that free-agent frenzy will be different this year, there's a ten day window where teams and players can speak to each other before contract-signing begins, hopefully making it less of a 'frenzy'. I also hope this works to our advantage, as Bergevin seems to be a good negotiator judging from his handling of the Subban situation.

Edmonton's biggest need is veteran leadership from someone who's actually won something.

With 2-4 rookies in the line-up, Montreal needs veteran leadership from someone who's actually won something. While I do agree with the philosophy of trading a decling asset for emerging talent, now is not the time for MB to be messing with the core leadership. Our rookies need more time to mature and we have to ensure that our new found heart, will to win and team grit is solidified and not disrupted. IMHO, of course.

With 2-4 rookies in the line-up, Montreal needs veteran leadership from someone who's actually won something. While I do agree with the philosophy of trading a decling asset for emerging talent, now is not the time for MB to be messing with the core leadership. Our rookies need more time to mature and we have to ensure that our new found heart, will to win and team grit is solidified and not disrupted. IMHO, of course.

Captain Brian Gionta won the Stanely Cup with the New Jersey Devils 2002-2003. Sounds to me like a leader that has actually won something.

• Upvote 1

Captain Brian Gionta won the Stanely Cup with the New Jersey Devils 2002-2003. Sounds to me like a leader that has actually won something.

That's who I was referring to and suggesting that Habs29 Retired's idea of trading Gionta was not the best at this point. :-)

That's who I was referring to and suggesting that Habs29 Retired's idea of trading Gionta was not the best at this point. :-)

Frankly I'm not that optimistic about our playoff chances, with the current make up of our forwards. Gionta probably played one of his best games last night, but on most nights has looked like he has lost a couple of steps and for the most part has looked ineffective.

I think its risky to have three guys the size of Gallagher, Gionta and DD for a 7 game playoff series and from those 3, Gionta is the expandable one. It's a matter of choosing between someone with cup experience, but may not be able to contribute as much and someone without experience, but makes us tougher to play against. We have 4 guys in our lineup who have won a cup, but only 1 is really still capable of playing at a high level (Ryder), two are well past their best before date (Kaberle and Moen) and our captain has played only 3-4 good games this season.

The habs an oilers are in a different place. Oilers need leadership to get them to take the next step to get them to the playoffs. They have a ton of skill, but lack maturity. The habs have had guys who have won playoff series in the past. Don't necessarily need a cup winner - we have plenty of veteran leaders like Gorges, Pleks, Markov, as well as good young leaders like MaxPac, Subban, Price, all of whom have shown much greater maturity this year.

Unlike the oilers, the habs have a good balanced attack, but still do lack that additional player with size and skill that may allow us to have a top nine that is a constant threat to score and a bottom 3 of Prust-White-Armstrong. If Prust is pushed to the bottom 3, it would probably be a good thing - first, becuase, we'd hopefully have more skill and size in the top 9 and secondly, while our 4th line hasn't been hurting us, it has not been able to be the energy line it needs to be.

I don't think we necessarily need to trade Gionta this year, but I would like to move him before the compliance buyout period passes. That would allow us to buyout Kaberle and we would be in a great position cap wise going forward. Gionta is declining and I think we need a different element in our top 9.

We are already in a great cap situation and Gionta being out of action last season was a major contributing factor to Montreal being 15th.

There were a lot of reasons for the lousy year - the biggest was the mickey mouse coaching and front office. From a personal standpoint, the defense was a much bigger contributor then the loss of Gionta.

Ottawa has had much worse injuries this year then we had last year, but they haven't collapsed like we did.

Frankly I'm not that optimistic about our playoff chances, with the current make up of our forwards. Gionta probably played one of his best games last night, but on most nights has looked like he has lost a couple of steps and for the most part has looked ineffective.

I think its risky to have three guys the size of Gallagher, Gionta and DD for a 7 game playoff series and from those 3, Gionta is the expandable one. It's a matter of choosing between someone with cup experience, but may not be able to contribute as much and someone without experience, but makes us tougher to play against. We have 4 guys in our lineup who have won a cup, but only 1 is really still capable of playing at a high level (Ryder), two are well past their best before date (Kaberle and Moen) and our captain has played only 3-4 good games this season.

I'm so sick of hearing about size, or lack thereof with this team. Clearly you didn't see 5'9 Gallagher drive his way to the net last night to score the winning goal. That kid has more heart and drive than 95% of the league. I would gladly take him on my team over any 6'3 floater. There is too much of a misconception about height. And it is mostly directed against the Habs and no other team. Sad when fans are drinking the kool aid served to them by the media. Gionta is basically Gallagher but with more miles on the odometer. DD is soft but very effective at what he does. It's okay to have a few soft guys on your team, not every body throws the body. It just drives me crazy when height is the main point of conversation about a team that is first in the conference. Clearly the Habs don't give a shit how tall they are, why should you?

I'm so sick of hearing about size, or lack thereof with this team. Clearly you didn't see 5'9 Gallagher drive his way to the net last night to score the winning goal. That kid has more heart and drive than 95% of the league. I would gladly take him on my team over any 6'3 floater. There is too much of a misconception about height. And it is mostly directed against the Habs and no other team. Sad when fans are drinking the kool aid served to them by the media. Gionta is basically Gallagher but with more miles on the odometer. DD is soft but very effective at what he does. It's okay to have a few soft guys on your team, not every body throws the body. It just drives me crazy when height is the main point of conversation about a team that is first in the conference. Clearly the Habs don't give a shit how tall they are, why should you?

Height and size help a lot in the playoffs.

That is where bodies really break down and teams can LEAN on the Habs.