Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

LA Kings only had Drew Doughty as a top three pick.

Boston Bruins only have Tyler Seguin as a top three pick.

Chicago Blackhawks only have two in Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews.

Oilers now have something like five and can't even make the playoffs. No guarantee they will ever get it together. Pittsburgh Penguins had four, sure, but the Penguins also nearly lost their franchise. How many top three picks was Detroit playing with?

What all those teams do have in common is the power of depth created through good drafting, solid free agency signings and smart trades. Boston and Chicago are in the Stanley Cup finals having players that outplay some top three draft picks regardless of their position. Do you know where Zdeno Chara, Duncan Keith and David Krejci were drafted?

Just collecting top three picks isn't going to get us to the promised land. It's a cocktail for success, just like it's always a cocktail for failure.

Just collecting top three picks isn't going to get us to the promised land. It's a cocktail for success, just like it's always a cocktail for failure.

Absolutely no guarantees. Correct. That's why the Sam Pollacks of the world found a way to push themselves to the front of the line and help themselves. Your best player has to be your GM, and he can't afford to sit on his hands and wait for the stars to align.

Here's how I see the team building. I'm looking at youth here.

In the core - Subban, Price, MaxPac, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller

Thats a Norris Caliber defence. A damn good goalie. A winger whose already had a 30 goal season, a potential elite center, and another winger capable of putting up 30 goals (we hope, but he sure looked like it), a two way centre who is coming into his own at the end of last year.

Looking like they may be core pieces, but I need to see a more.

Tinordi, Beaulieu.

A shut down D, and an offensive D.

Thats a pretty good core to build around. Would I like another top 5 pick? Sure.... Do we need one in order to take this core and get it to the next level? No, I don't believe that.

Gallagher was great

The way I see it, in Subban, we already have the equivalent of a top-3 draft pick. (Sure, he was a second-rounder, but it terms of on-ice performance he is all you could ask for from a #1 overall pick). So between him and Galy - assuming the latter pans out - we already have two such talents on the team. This needs to be factored in by those who fetishize top-end draft picks.

I'd love to get still more top-end picks or equivalent talents, of course. But moving up in the draft won't come cheap, and rather than assuming that MB is lazily and stupidly sitting on his arse, it's more likely that he is unwilling to pay the exorbitant costs of doing it. What would you be willing to give up? Eller +picks, etc.? Pacioretty + picks, etc.? How does that help us, really?

Philly has always found a way too pay.

Byzghalov and Briere will be bought out. That's around $13m to start with.

If we want a high pick forward, Couturier is going to be an RFA next summer and the Flyers won't have any reasonable way to pay him. The Flyers also know the Predators want revenge for the Weber offer sheet. We could possibly swing a deal there.

Philly has always found a way too pay.

Byzghalov and Briere will be bought out. That's around $13m to start with.

According to Bryzgalov's agent, the Flyers have said they're not buying him out (they will turf Briere but only him).

If they don't this summer, they probably will next summer

According to Bryzgalov's agent, the Flyers have said they're not buying him out (they will turf Briere but only him).

Good points guys. The GM does indeed have to be your best player and thanks for helping me work through my fetishes. Every little bit helps and the doctors say I can go home soon. Maybe..

What about going after Drew Stafford? Big solid winger. Buffalo needs to shake things up....

At 4 million per season for each of the next two years, and scoring just 6 goals and 18 points in 46 games (pro rated 11 g, 32 p over 82 games).... I don't think I want that contract.

At 4 million per season for each of the next two years, and scoring just 6 goals and 18 points in 46 games (pro rated 11 g, 32 p over 82 games).... I don't think I want that contract.

He really seems like a player that needs a change of scenery. I'd take the risk.

He really seems like a player that needs a change of scenery. I'd take the risk.

I'd say he seems like a player who got lucky and had 1 magical season where he scored 30 goals. Nothing before or after that year suggests that he's a 4 million dollar guy.

Guest Stogey24

I'd say he seems like a player who got lucky and had 1 magical season where he scored 30 goals. Nothing before or after that year suggests that he's a 4 million dollar guy.

2010-11- 52pts 2011-12 50pts. This guy gets on the right team and he'll be a star. Good size, great shot, and lays the body. Easily a first liner in Montreal.

This past season was a struggle for buffalo as a whole. I wouldn't base too much on it.

I agree, a change of scenery might be the key. When stafford's contract is up in buffalo,I really can't see him signing with another team for any less than 4.

Edited by Stogey24

Should we make a pitch for Letang? We have some cap space and some youngsters. Or is this just a pipe-dream?

I would love seeing him on the PP with Subban.

Should we make a pitch for Letang? We have some cap space and some youngsters. Or is this just a pipe-dream?

I would love seeing him on the PP with Subban.

The Habs don't have much cap space, even with the inevitable Kaberle buyout. This year he'd be able to fit in but having potentially two $6.5 M+ defencemen in 2014-15 would be really hard to fit under the cap, especially with several other players needing raises as well.

Been thinking about the Emelin issue, and I wonder if the replacement could come not from an UFA but a trade.

Yannick Weber and a 2014 4th round pick for Derek Morris

We get a physical, right-handed defenseman who is UFA next season (like we don't have enough UFA defensemen next season, but still).

Phoenix drops a bit of salary to stay at the cap floor, and gets a project D/W in Weber and a pick.

Thoughts?

What would make Phoenix do it, in your opinion?

I think if that 4th were to become a 2nd, they'd be more inclined to do it. Morris at the trade deadline would probably fetch a 2nd so in theory, the offer to get him now should be at least that. Morris would be a good fit though, I like the idea in general.

I think if that 4th were to become a 2nd, they'd be more inclined to do it. Morris at the trade deadline would probably fetch a 2nd so in theory, the offer to get him now should be at least that. Morris would be a good fit though, I like the idea in general.

Yeah, agreed on that.

I'd give them either pick 55 or a 2014 2nd rounder though. I don't want to give up 34 or 36

What would make Phoenix do it, in your opinion?

I'd love a big trade with Phoenix. They have lots of players I think would help the Habs. Hanzal, Vermette, Boedker to play with Eller. Klesla, Morris, Michalek Even Doan is Price's cousin. Could be the ultamate dance partner if both sides saw eye to eye.

Morris would be great for Tinordi on the 3rd pairing, thats for certain. Matt Greene would be grand too. In that same breath, Fistric would cost nothing to acquire and be just as serviceable.