Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

As far as I'm concerned, MB's summer will be judged by whether he finds an Emelin replacement - preferably one that can continue to play a significant role with us after Emelin returns. We cannot go into the season with our current blueline IMHO.

As far as I'm concerned, MB's summer will be judged by whether he finds an Emelin replacement - preferably one that can continue to play a significant role with us after Emelin returns. We cannot go into the season with our current blueline IMHO.

Yeah, even with Emelin in the lineup we need more toughness back there.

I think if that 4th were to become a 2nd, they'd be more inclined to do it. Morris at the trade deadline would probably fetch a 2nd so in theory, the offer to get him now should be at least that. Morris would be a good fit though, I like the idea in general.

Phoenix got him for a 4th rounder 4 years ago. I know teams value players differently... but he isn't as offensively capable as he used to be, he hasn't played a full NHL season in 6 years, and he's a UFA after this season...

He became worth a 2nd rounder after that?

Maybe I'd do Montreal's 3rd round pick in the deal. Maybe.

Phoenix got him for a 4th rounder 4 years ago. I know teams value players differently... but he isn't as offensively capable as he used to be, he hasn't played a full NHL season in 6 years, and he's a UFA after this season...

He became worth a 2nd rounder after that?

Maybe I'd do Montreal's 3rd round pick in the deal. Maybe.

I'd suggest in general that the price for defence has gone up big time since then. Zidlicky, a slightly better version of M-A Bergeron fetched a 2nd and a 3rd in 2012 (despite another year on a bad contract), Regehr and Murray got two 2nd's as rentals. Heck, Hal Gill yielded a 2nd and Geoffrion. Most of those players played under 19 minutes per game at the time they were traded - Morris played over 21 last year and 19 in 2011-12. A 2nd in this market for him is fair value, if not a bargain, especially since you're getting a full season out of him instead of 20 games + playoffs.

I would not be surprised if Bergevin stays away from much activity in the coming free agent and goes with players from within. Not saying he will not but I would not be surprised if he did not.

There is a big difference at the price you pay at the deadline and prior to the start of the year. I'd much rather have us make the moves before the season then pay stupid prices later on.

I'd suggest in general that the price for defence has gone up big time since then. Zidlicky, a slightly better version of M-A Bergeron fetched a 2nd and a 3rd in 2012 (despite another year on a bad contract), Regehr and Murray got two 2nd's as rentals. Heck, Hal Gill yielded a 2nd and Geoffrion. Most of those players played under 19 minutes per game at the time they were traded - Morris played over 21 last year and 19 in 2011-12. A 2nd in this market for him is fair value, if not a bargain, especially since you're getting a full season out of him instead of 20 games + playoffs.

I know this won't be received well here but how about:

To Toronto:

Weber, Desharnais, 2013 2nd (Montreal)

To: Montreal:

Phaneuf, Komarov

Our defence would look like:

Gorges - Subban

Phaneuf - Markov

Diaz(Player 61) - Tinordi/Boullion

After Emelin returns swap Tinordi/Boullion for Emelin, possibly Emelin - Markov and Phaneuf - Diaz(Player 61). Gives us 2 lefties and 2 righties for the PP, Markov - Subban/Phaneuf - Diaz, both PP units have a quarterback and a cannon. Also add Komarov for the 4th line for physicallity, was impressed with his physical play for Toronoto in the few games I did see. Plus Toronto is shopping Phaneuf. He's not the Phaneuf he used to be but I think he would do much better with a few less minutes.

I don't want to pay Phaneuf's money to be the third best D on our team.

Phaneuf has 1 year left @ $6.5m, we currently have just over $9m in cap space for next season, sending Desharnais the other way would give us around 12.5m free without Phaneuf's cap hit. The hypothetical trade would still leave us with around $6m cap space. Also if Phaneuf is your team's 3rd best D-man, your D-core is pretty good.

Sad to hear Komarov is going to the KHL, maybe McLaren or sweeten the pot for MacArthur?

Sad to hear Komarov is going to the KHL, maybe McLaren or sweeten the pot for MacArthur?

McLaren is a dime-a-dozen fringe goon, not worth much of anything (especially when there will be similar players in free agency). Speaking of free agency, that's where they can land MacArthur if they want to get him in a Montreal jersey.

What about making an offer sheet to Ryan McDonagh? The Rangers are tight against the cap and I've never forgiven Gainey for throwing McDonagh into the Gomez trade.

Guest Stogey24

MacArthur would be a good pick up for Montreal. Add a solid second line goal scorer with some decent size. I can't see him going for more than 3.5

What about making an offer sheet to Ryan McDonagh? The Rangers are tight against the cap and I've never forgiven Gainey for throwing McDonagh into the Gomez trade.

I'd imagine that offer sheet would be in the 4.5m-5m to realistically have a shot at him. I don't know the compensation rules but I'm assuming that is probably near a 1st round pick or a 2nd for compensation.

Here's the RFA compensation thresholds for this year:

$1,110,249 or below: None
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194: Third Round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391: Second Round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585: First Round and Third Round picks
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781: First Round, Second Round, and Third Round picks
Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976: Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round picks
Over $8,410,976 Four First Round picks

So $4.5-$5M for McDonagh in that scenario would cost the Habs' 1st and 3rd rounders in 2014 if the Rangers didn't match. The fact that Bergevin pushed so hard for Subban to take a bridge deal though would suggest there's no way he offers a deal like that to McDonagh, another player coming off of his ELC.

I don't want to pay Phaneuf's money to be the third best D on our team.

And he's also an out-of-shape slow bum whose best years are behind him.

Phaneuf has 1 year left @ $6.5m, we currently have just over $9m in cap space for next season, sending Desharnais the other way would give us around 12.5m free without Phaneuf's cap hit. The hypothetical trade would still leave us with around $6m cap space. Also if Phaneuf is your team's 3rd best D-man, your D-core is pretty good.

Don't shoot the messenger, but, Pierre McGuire said if Desharnais was available, not a single GM would even call. Yes, McGuire's an easy target. Let's not forget, he said Kaberle was untradable the day we got him. Turns out he was right.

He's small, he played poorly last season, and his cap hit is way too high for what he brings to the table. Would you want him on your team?

McGuire also said Mike Ribeiro would never be an NHL player. The thing with McGuire is that he has an extra-large hard-on for players with size, and it can blind him to the attributes and potential of smaller players.

That said, DD's value is exceptionally low because last season - and especially last year's playoffs - saw him being the player everyone always feared he would be: small, overmatched, not especially quick, in short, marginal. IF he can get back to where he was in 2011, then he will have at least some value on the trade market.

Guest Stogey24

He's small, he played poorly last season, and his cap hit is way too high for what he brings to the table. Would you want him on your team?

All that we can hope for is a big season from DD. He has great vision lets hope he puts it to use again.

McGuire also said Mike Ribeiro would never be an NHL player. The thing with McGuire is that he has an extra-large hard-on for players with size, and it can blind him to the attributes and potential of smaller players.

If you look back at his comments, McGuire was absolutely convinced that Shawn Belle was going to be a major NHLer. He thought Montreal got him at a perfect time and that St. Louis, Dallas and Minnesota were simply impatient with an "incredible physical specimen". The reason McGuire was so high on Belle was that he's a fitness freak so in McGuire's mind, he has the physique so the game was just going to come with him. Belle was in great shape but his game was never there.