Crosby...

brobin

Just to give us something to dream about in our dark depths of dispair...

Crosby is due for a new contract next year. Let's assume he recovers from his head issues. There is speculation that he may not be insurable, which will put Pitts in a very delicate position. They are not rich enough to eat a $10 million contract if he does get hurt again.

They also know that Malkin is awesome, especially when Crosby is out of the lineup. It is just possible that they will not sign Crosby and decide to go with Malkin / Stall. (I would take that combo for the Habs!).

If Crosby does become available (a long shot, but possible), Montreal can both afford him, and the risk of his uninsured salary.

Crosby is a Habs fan...

Imagine.. we get a top pick this year.. At the end of next year we get Crosby as a free agent...

CONTENDER!

PS... please don't burst my fantasy.....

Your situation is plausible.

However, even if it comes to pass, I find it doubtful that Sid would be allowed to walk as a UFA.

I think Pittsburgh will trade his rights.

Not sure what that will be worth, but I think it will be significant.

What would people propose?

Your situation is plausible.

However, even if it comes to pass, I find it doubtful that Sid would be allowed to walk as a UFA.

I think Pittsburgh will trade his rights.

Not sure what that will be worth, but I think it will be significant.

What would people propose?

Nothing.

Pittsburgh can trade his rights, but that doesn't mean he'll sign with that team.

And I'd rather not give up the assets to give him an early proposal he might reject.

For trading rights, I am not sure you are going to get that much, but I would be willing to throw in Gomez. :)

But Gomez has the highest first-assist-to-ice-time ratio in the entire NHL!! You're gonna cripple our team!!!

One of my favourite quips on this sort of idea came from Craig Ludwig when they asked him who he'd prefer to have on the Habs: Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky? His answer: 'I don't think either of those guys would fit into our system.' :nuts:

Nothing.

Pittsburgh can trade his rights, but that doesn't mean he'll sign with that team.

And I'd rather not give up the assets to give him an early proposal he might reject.

Okay, what would you give up for him, next year, at the trade deadline, as that would probably be when Pittsburgh would first consider moving him.Assume also you will have conditional assets you would be giving up if he re-signs with you, on top of just the trade deadline price.

I would love to see Crosby as a Hab. I wish we would go out and make a play for him when the time comes (as long as it doesn't cost us too much).

I'd be curious to know what Pittsburg would want for him right now if a team were to try to make a trade for him. Not just from us but from any team. Since there are big health concerns you would think his value has diminished somewhat.

Pitts might hold on to him for the playoffs next year if they are in the running, but fail to sign him after. If they are struggling, then perhaps they "sell him at the deadline", but their fans will kill them.. easier to let him go in the summer if they can't make it work long term with him...

One big hole in you plan, assuming the Pens weren't going to re-sign him (which they will), and trade away his negotiating rights. They will not trade him to an Eastern conference team. Never going to happen. They will not willingly let a team that could directly affect their season record and playoffs run until the finals, sign Crosby. It would be possible if he gets traded and doesn't sign with that team, but they will not trade his rights to an Eastern Conference team.

It;s really that simple.

Pitts might hold on to him for the playoffs next year if they are in the running, but fail to sign him after. If they are struggling, then perhaps they "sell him at the deadline", but their fans will kill them.. easier to let him go in the summer if they can't make it work long term with him...

Pittsburgh would never, ever trade him. People would stop following the Pens if they did that. Now, if the Penguins let Crosby leave on his own? People would blame Crosby and still stay Penguins fans.

I've been dreaming about this scenario ever since watching the draft lottery. Even then he talked about how he wanted to play for Montreal. It is too bad for us that he went to a franchise that was bankrupt, had a superstar owner who took him into his house, and that he essentially saved the team from relocation. Oh, and built a much needed new arena. Sid appears to be very loyal and that to me is the main reason why he wouldn't become available. If he were to ever hit the free agent market, one could make the assumption that the Habs would be on the top of his list. I don't think salary would be as big a deciding factor as to where he would go as other players. So, as Habs fans, we have that going for us. But I think it would take a small miracle for all the dominoes to fall into place and for this to happen. The search for our #1 center shall continue.....

Believe it our not, I actually submitted a bunch of questions to a Penguins Beat Writer on Crosby's injury and his contract status for my blog on Tuesday before this thread went up.

I didn't say anything earlier cause I didnt expect a response, but I just got one, and the interview will be going up soon.

Its interesting. Im just putting the finishing touches on it and then I'll link you here.

I think you need to say Crosby WAS a Habs fan. Now it looks like he despises us.

He despises us for the right reasons. We kicked his ass in the playoffs. That's basically a form of respect. I'm sure the next time he plays us he won't feel that loathing since we are now a joke.