Washington @ Montreal; the lazy GDT

Commandant

Didn't see the whole game, but a friend texted me that Plex missed another breakaway. Is he right ?

If he is, then Plex might be running for the "missed breakaway all-time record". Amazing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Partial Breakaway, but yeah.

And there is no way he can touch Jan Bulis' record.

I don't know, I seem to remember Russ Courtnall was pretty brutal too - his brain and hands couldn't seem to keep up with his feet.

I don't know, I seem to remember Russ Courtnall was pretty brutal too - his brain and hands couldn't seem to keep up with his feet.

Good call...Russ is the missed breakaway champ hands-down.

This might sound redundant, but these guys really suck. Not just the worst Habs team in years, but maybe one of the worst teams period.

We can quibble about PG all we want, but he might be the only guy who wants the job at the end of this year. Could be like the last year of George W Bush, when even he didn't want to be the President anymore. This team is lost.

This might sound redundant, but these guys really suck. Not just the worst Habs team in years, but maybe one of the worst teams period.

Do you mean like worst Canadiens team ever? Because I don't see this team being worse than the 2000-2001 incarnation. That sparkling 28-40-8-6 record. That was the season that Montreal finally fired Rejean Houle after leading the Canadiens to an even worse record than the expansion Blue Jackets and Wild before Houle was fired. That was the year that Brian Savage's 21 goals lead the team. The team was an injured mess that year. Heck, they still weren't the worst team in the league by the end of the year either.

No I mean from the last few years, this team is one of the worst NHL teams. Columbus, Edmonton, the Islanders are obviously worse, but what takes the cake with these guys is the potential is there. Not much more potential, with injuries etc, than a bubble team, but for this team to be dead last in the East is an embarrasment. I'm also talking about the all important entertainment value. Columbus blows, but at least they fight. Same with the Islanders. These guys are soft, they forgot how to work a PP, they are dreadfully boring, they are disinterested, and they are underachievers. To me, that makes one of the worst NHL teams in years.

I swear if you take out any emotional attachments to the games it makes them easier to watch. Expect screw-ups, expect losses, and you won't be disappointed. They almost become entertaining.

My hopes for this team were so high. When we had trouble at first I kept thinking it was due to growing pains and that in a short time everything would click and everything would be fine....little did I know. I remember one of the writers from THN (Proteau?) put the Habs at 8th. The guy got roasted for it. Now we'd kill to be there.

To be honest, I didn't want to watch NHL hockey this season. The majority of that reason was due to the Pacioretty hit from Chara and how pathetic NHL administration had become. However, it is very hard to quit NHL hockey. The attachment to it is far too heavy. I also didn't have much hope for this years Canadien squad but I couldn't pinpoint why. I didn't like the Cole signing and I'm completely wrong about it but for some reason I just didn't believe in this team compared to last seasons team. And then everything felt apart and while I felt pretty good I was right... I felt like shit for abandoning the team. That's why I watch these losses. If this team is going to tank, I'm going to be there with it. Every loss. Every error. Every disappointment. Otherwise, what fan would I be?

There is no disputing that this was one of our best deals. I never said Courtnall wasn't a good player - just like i would never say pleks is a bad player. the guy had amazing speed and a great shot. He was just very frustrating on a breakaway, because his feet always seemed light years ahead of his hands and head.

The difference between pleks and courtnell is that while pleks seems to always outthink himself on breakaways and shootouts, it always seemed like courtnell found himself in front of the goalie, before he had a chance to think about what he wanted to do. I remember there were times where he'd even flub getting a shot away.

While Russ missed more often than he hit, he did keep the defensemen honest and did manage to pop a few in.

The Kordic for Courtnall trade may be the best we made in the last forty years.

No I mean from the last few years, this team is one of the worst NHL teams. Columbus, Edmonton, the Islanders are obviously worse, but what takes the cake with these guys is the potential is there. Not much more potential, with injuries etc, than a bubble team, but for this team to be dead last in the East is an embarrasment. I'm also talking about the all important entertainment value. Columbus blows, but at least they fight. Same with the Islanders. These guys are soft, they forgot how to work a PP, they are dreadfully boring, they are disinterested, and they are underachievers. To me, that makes one of the worst NHL teams in years.

How are the Islanders obviously worse when they have more points than us,lol ?I'd rather have Edmontons roster and prospects than what we have. Columbus is worse.The 01 team had 70 pts in 80 games.We have 49 pts? in 53?Not much of a difference. This squad has had many gutless performances,like yesterdays. I don't remember that being the case back then,though i didn't see them enough

I swear if you take out any emotional attachments to the games it makes them easier to watch. Expect screw-ups, expect losses, and you won't be disappointed. They almost become entertaining.

My hopes for this team were so high. When we had trouble at first I kept thinking it was due to growing pains and that in a short time everything would click and everything would be fine....little did I know. I remember one of the writers from THN (Proteau?) put the Habs at 8th. The guy got roasted for it. Now we'd kill to be there.

That's a problem "Habs at 8th. The guy got roasted for it. Now we'd kill to be there".our goal was always to have a contender and make a cup run. It's been to "make the playoffs and anything can happen", for 10+ years. Unfortunately,with very few exception if you are not a top 3 seed,you don't win anything