Habs vs Maple Leafs, Feb. 11, 7 PM

dlbalr

crap, after a week of traveling I picked up the flu. Dozed off at 2-0 and missed a great humiliation by the leafs. got up to see the last penalty kill by the habs, as well as Brown chasing Subban.

I know it was hockey day and they weren't at the leafs, but notice no mention of the game by Cherry and Maclean at the end. IF the leafs had won, you can bet they would have been crowing on about the great effort by the leafs on Sundin night.

• Upvote 1

Some stats from this one that caught my eye:

- Emelin with 9 hits (the Habs outhit Toronto 36-25).

- No d-man played more than 21:47 (I love when Subban/Gorges get some rest instead of playing 25, 26 minutes every night).

- Every Hab had a hit but Plekanec (who I thought had a great game).

- Campoli led (tied) the game for blocked shots with 5 (that should help his value a little more, he's been decent all week).

Statsheet: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/ES020822.HTM

We can tank later, a 5-0 shutout on sundin night is well worth it. (as long as PG doesn't do anything stupid)

We shouldn't tank, not for material reasons, but for hockey as hockey. If it were clear we weren't going to make it , then we would lose spirit and maybe get a draft shot, but we should go for the best hockey we can get.

I don't by this, mean that "this is the year" and let's sell the future for a shot at the cup, but we should always play to win.

I'd like to make the playoffs. and go where we can go.

hahahaha playoff push soviet style :P

Ya.. Go Habs Go!

crap, after a week of traveling I picked up the flu. Dozed off at 2-0 and missed a great humiliation by the leafs. got up to see the last penalty kill by the habs, as well as Brown chasing Subban.

I know it was hockey day and they weren't at the leafs, but notice no mention of the game by Cherry and Maclean at the end. IF the leafs had won, you can bet they would have been crowing on about the great effort by the leafs on Sundin night.

Ya... We shut them up!

Some stats from this one that caught my eye:

- Emelin with 9 hits (the Habs outhit Toronto 36-25).

- No d-man played more than 21:47 (I love when Subban/Gorges get some rest instead of playing 25, 26 minutes every night).

- Every Hab had a hit but Plekanec (who I thought had a great game).

- Campoli led (tied) the game for blocked shots with 5 (that should help his value a little more, he's been decent all week).

Statsheet: http://www.nhl.com/s...12/ES020822.HTM

Thanks .. good points.

So.. are we being coached differently?

What's with our 4-0?

We shouldn't tank, not for material reasons, but for hockey as hockey. If it were clear we weren't going to make it , then we would lose spirit and maybe get a draft shot, but we should go for the best hockey we can get.

I don't by this, mean that "this is the year" and let's sell the future for a shot at the cup, but we should always play to win.

I'd like to make the playoffs. and go where we can go.

?

The players themselves will never intentionally tank.  But unless we win 3/4 games over the next week, we should sell our UFA assets at the deadline and accumulate picks. If after this week we are no closer to the playoffs, there is quite simply no reason why Gill and Moen should remain Habs past the deadline.

The players themselves will never intentionally tank. But unless we win 3/4 games over the next week, we should sell our UFA assets at the deadline and accumulate picks. If after this week we are no closer to the playoffs, there is quite simply no reason why Gill and Moen should remain Habs past the deadline.

I can see this if it's out of the question and we have no need for them next year. I don't know enough to make that judgment however.

Gill has done such a heroic job for us and Moen's been pretty solid too. I don't like trading good guys generally as a necessary concession to finitude.

I can see this if it's out of the question and we have no need for them next year. I don't know enough to make that judgment however.

Gill has done such a heroic job for us and Moen's been pretty solid too. I don't like trading good guys generally as a necessary concession to finitude.

Right now they are both UFAs.  If you are out of the playoffs this year, then there is no reason to keep them around.  I'm sure you can sign similar players (or even those two guys themselves) back on July 1st. You also gain some roster space for this year, which will mean more games for guys like Aaron Palushaj and Andreas Engqvist down the stretch. Two youngsters who need to be evaluated at the NHL level, because next season they either need to make the team out of training camp or be placed on waivers. They are both reaching the age/AHL experience thresholds where they will no longer be waiver exempt next year. If the season is lost, the least we can do is give ice time to youngsters and continue their development to see how they can help this team next year.

As for how you are treating "good guys", I think both guys would probably appreciate the opportunity to compete for the Stanley Cup, and both have been traded as Trade Deadline rentals previously, so they know how this works.

Right now they are both UFAs. If you are out of the playoffs this year, then there is no reason to keep them around. I'm sure you can sign similar players (or even those two guys themselves) back on July 1st. You also gain some roster space for this year, which will mean more games for guys like Aaron Palushaj and Andreas Engqvist down the stretch. Two youngsters who need to be evaluated at the NHL level, because next season they either need to make the team out of training camp or be placed on waivers. They are both reaching the age/AHL experience thresholds where they will no longer be waiver exempt next year. If the season is lost, the least we can do is give ice time to youngsters and continue their development to see how they can help this team next year.

As for how you are treating "good guys", I think both guys would probably appreciate the opportunity to compete for the Stanley Cup, and both have been traded as Trade Deadline rentals previously, so they know how this works.

Good points all Commandant. I guess, as I try to sift my way through my attitude, one does have to embrace the whole reality of the team, and when its time its time. My key , bottom lined is not to play or organize to lose just to win the lottery. I respect the points you are making.

Good points all Commandant. I guess, as I try to sift my way through my attitude, one does have to embrace the whole reality of the team, and when its time its time. My key , bottom lined is not to play or organize to lose just to win the lottery. I respect the points you are making.

I've always thought that Habs GM's as Uncle Bob articulated, had the dual responsibility of always presenting a competitive team while also building to go for the prize when it is within reach. I thought he did well on this path.

I don't know how much the tank will help them in the draft, there are only two centers rated in the top ten, Grigorenko, who will probably go second, and Galneychuk who could go from probably 7-12th. The rest are defenseman, a stud would be great of course, but they're already stocked up at that position. They should be sellers for sure, but the experience the young guys have gotten(Pac, Emelin, Diaz, Eller, Subban, Desharnais have all expanded their roles and improved) is more important.

They need to focus on having a real fourth line. White, a center that's good on faceoffs, and either Arron Asham or Rupp would be great. Playing all these forwards and scrambling the lines all the time is ridiculous. Would it hurt this team to get into some fights? Right now the main fighter on this team is Subban.

Edited by Lovett's Magnatones

I don't know how much the tank will help them in the draft, there are only two centers rated in the top ten, Grigorenko, who will probably go second, and Galneychuk who could go from probably 7-12th. The rest are defenseman, a stud would be great of course, but they're already stocked up at that position. They should be sellers for sure, but the experience the young guys have gotten(Pac, Emelin, Diaz, Eller, Subban, Desharnais have all expanded their roles and improved) is more important.

Galchenyuk could very well go higher than 7th, especially if he comes back in late Feb/early March as rumored. This guy has all the talent to be top 3 with Grigorenko and Yakupov, but the question is his knee. If the knee proves healthy at the end of the OHL season and through the OHL playoffs, his ranking will jump up.

Also in the top 10 could go a nice LW/RW with some size and physical play in Forsberg, and one of Gaunce/Faksa at Centre. Still my goal would 100% be one of Grigorenko/Galchenyuk. And 2nd round picks added at the deadline will be the ammo you might need to trade up for them.

They need to focus on having a real fourth line. White, a center that's good on faceoffs, and either Arron Asham or Rupp would be great. Playing all these forwards and scrambling the lines all the time is ridiculous. Would it hurt this team to get into some fights? Right now the main fighter on this team is Subban.

I could be wrong, but I thought White was below-average for faceoffs.

I could be wrong, but I thought White was below-average for faceoffs.

White was great on draws in the WHL, decent in the AHL, his NHL stats aren't good, but are also very small as a sample size, and its tough for a rookie to be great on draws. I think the real issue with him at centre is that he doesn't have either the footspeed, vision, or hockeysense to play the position in the NHL. He's more suited to a more straightline role skating up and down his wing at this level.