Habs vs Maple Leafs, Feb. 11, 7 PM

dlbalr

Whether you're on the tank bandwagon or not, I think everyone would agree that was a fun period. Bourque is having a strong game, his first in a little bit while the Pacioretty line just keeps on going. I think I know who I'm picking for top spot in the weekly player rankings for my column tomorrow...

His pick of hats to wear in the press box? Not so much. If you're watching on CBC, you know what I mean. Yikes.

I hope you mean Price 4-0 with 2 shutouts.

Also Gianey's hats a PIMP.

It was great watching this with Leaf fans.

Don't understand people dumping on Sundin. Ain't his fault he was traded to the Leafs.

The team is more than allowed to fall back to earth now.

5 game losing streak I feel is coming up.

Even though it's happened my entire life, soon to be 41, I'm still surprised we blew the Leafs out of that library they call an arena. They hand pick this game against us for the magical Mats Sundin night, on Hockey Day in Canada, and they get destroyed. All my life, Leaf fan telling me how great they're going to be. Asking me how can I possibly be a Habs fan. Canada's team, the Mecca of hockey, the most knowledgable fans, all complete and utter drivel. I actually felt sorry for Mats Sundin. So much for his big night. If that's Canada's team, what does that say about our country? In my opinion, the Leafs are just a crappy team in a big city. Nothing more, nothing less.

The concept of anointing any one team as, "Canada's team" is absolutely stupid and it's such a Canadian thing. We love to have Captain Canada's and Canada's Team. You don't see America doing this in any of their sports and they are supposed to be the over-patriotic imbeciles. Canada's team is the Olympic team. Period. The NHL has seven franchises placed in Canada which are in a North American league. Even as a collective, they do not represent Canada because players from other nationalities can play on them.

It's one of those things that just bugs me.

Even though it's happened my entire life, soon to be 41, I'm still surprised we blew the Leafs out of that library they call an arena. They hand pick this game against us for the magical Mats Sundin night, on Hockey Day in Canada, and they get destroyed. All my life, Leaf fan telling me how great they're going to be. Asking me how can I possibly be a Habs fan. Canada's team, the Mecca of hockey, the most knowledgable fans, all complete and utter drivel. I actually felt sorry for Mats Sundin. So much for his big night. If that's Canada's team, what does that say about our country? In my opinion, the Leafs are just a crappy team in a big city. Nothing more, nothing less.

:clap:

Well said, these days I have to go to the GTA for around 2 weeks every month for work and have to continously hear how Montreal and Toronto are headed in different directions. It will be nice to rub it in to the leafers when I have to fly back to hogtown on Thursday.

I would go one further and say that the Leaf's have been a Crappy team in Canada's media centre for a LONG, LONG time and hopefully will continue to suck from here to eternity!

The concept of anointing any one team as, "Canada's team" is absolutely stupid and it's such a Canadian thing.  We love to have Captain Canada's and Canada's Team.  You don't see America doing this in any of their sports and they are supposed to be the over-patriotic imbeciles.  Canada's team is the Olympic team.  Period.  The NHL has seven franchises placed in Canada which are in a North American league.  Even as a collective, they do not represent Canada because players from other nationalities can play on them.  

It's one of those things that just bugs me.

I agree with your premise here, and I do think its stupid to try and call the Leafs (or anyone else) Canada's Team. Especially when multiple polls have shown there are more Habs fans in Canada than Leafs fans, but even then I don't think we are Canada's team either.

However, I'll disagree with one point here. We absolutely hear Americans do this.  The Dallas Cowboys have been known as "America's Team" for decades. The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers have both tried to usurp that title. In the NBA the Lakers and Celtics both have claims as "America's Team" and in MLB the Yankees have tried to make it their persona as well.

There is a difference between America's teams and the Leafs. All of those teams have had fairly recent dynasties or championships. The leafs represent nothing more then a celebration of at mediocrity at best and for the most part losing.

I agree with your premise here, and I do think its stupid to try and call the Leafs (or anyone else) Canada's Team. Especially when multiple polls have shown there are more Habs fans in Canada than Leafs fans, but even then I don't think we are Canada's team either.

However, I'll disagree with one point here. We absolutely hear Americans do this.  The Dallas Cowboys have been known as "America's Team" for decades. The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers have both tried to usurp that title. In the NBA the Lakers and Celtics both have claims as "America's Team" and in MLB the Yankees have tried to make it their persona as well.

Won't browse the whole thread to see if the comment has already been made, but Campoli was pathetic yesterday.

His 2 zones missed pass who resulted in a icing when there was NO ONE around the forward was disgusting. Almost puked.

But he did block a few shots. but man...

There is a difference between America's teams and the Leafs. All of those teams have had fairly recent dynasties or championships. The leafs represent nothing more then a celebration of at mediocrity at best and for the most part losing.

Like I said, I agree with the premise that "Canada's Team" doesn't exist, and even if it did, it sure as hell wouldn't be the Leafs. Its a bunch of crap.

Just was pointing out the fallacy in the argument that no American teams from other sports have tried to call themselves "America's Team".