Hurricanes vs Habs, Feb. 13, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

There are no guarantees at any time. Look at the Wichenheiser pick. If you think you would get a cure for next year or the following year, you may be dissapointed. If you think you can change this franchise around without being smart at the draft, you will be dissapointed.

Right. No guarantees, just probabilities. What I'm saying is the most probable outcome of this season is a pick around the middle of the top-10 and an added bundle of picks in the 2nd to 4th rounds. This will help likely our franchise in the medium term. Equally likely, it will not 'transform' our franchise, and almost certainly will not do so in the short term.

No they are not. They will be the same team five years from now if they don't start taking advantage of opportunities availed to them. They are in the wilderness. If they don't take stock of where they are and how to get out of there, they will be there for a long time.

Sure, and that's the feeling I get. We'll continue to fight for 8th. Hope I'm wrong. It's like 2009 in reverse. With Halak we over achieved. This year, with all the stuff that's gone on, we've under achieved. It's given us a sniff at a lottery pick, and everyone's excited. We're not trading Cole, and playing Budaj the rest of the way, to get that pick. The ufa's? I hope they're gonzo.

In terms of trading up I guess I haven't been clear enough on what I meant.

If we have the 10th pick, we won't. Be able to put a package together for number 1. It won't happen, there is just too much difference.

But if we are at 4 its possible a team wants a D instead of a C and trades something like #2 overall, for #4 plus one or two second rounders, these deals happened before, and that's how we get grigorenko.

Or if we are at 8, a team trades us #4 or 5 for #8 plus a couple 2nds or thirds like the luke schenn deal. In this way we make sure of getting a Galchenyuk.

I think jumping a spot or two if necessary is possible. I don't think jumnping 8 or 9 spots is realistic at the top of the first round.

Sure, and that's the feeling I get. We'll continue to fight for 8th. Hope I'm wrong. It's like 2009 in reverse. With Halak we over achieved. This year, with all the stuff that's gone on, we've under achieved. It's given us a sniff at a lottery pick, and everyone's excited. We're not trading Cole, and playing Budaj the rest of the way, to get that pick. The ufa's? I hope they're gonzo.

I don't have any problem with them playing whomever they have remaining on the roster. Anybody that isn't in the plans for next year needs to be moved. This year is done, stick a fork in it and start playing for next year. There is no reason to sell off key assets, such as Cole unless somebody makes offer you can't refuse. There is nobody on this roster that can't be moved for the right deal. I don't see that type of deal happening. Playoff teams are looking to add assets, not make meat for meat trades.