GDT NJ Devils @ Montreal, 19th Feb, 2012

bbp

We have to play more than 20 minutes to win..Especially against a tough checking team like NJ..Price let in 3 back breakers..1 late in the 1st, 1 late in the 2nd, and a weak shot from the point...

Before I get lambasted for calling out Price on these goals, I just wanna say that he has to learn to fight through traffic to make the save..Positioning is great and all, but he looked really shaky..

On another thought, the guys need to shoot the puck when in prime scoring areas..Too many times they passed it off to a shooter that has a lesser angle..

Early on NJ was able to cycle too easily. On our shopping list should be a big man to stop that. The other thing that drove me crazy is shooting from bad angles. They would be in middle and actually pass the puck off to shoot from bad angle. Shoot from the middle like Detroit did today. Pretty good energy and I love the number of hits that were thrown. Looks like Blonde Demon saw the same thing

The coach needs to break the lazy half-game efforts. As I mentioned earlier, Cunneyworth needs to make them skate hard right after the game is over in every effort like this. Sooner or later the team will realize their going to skate hard every game day, whether it's during or after the game is their choice. Half of this game the whole team was coasting around the rink. It was a great effort for most of the 3rd, but it doesn't excuse them for not playing the first and half the second.

30 minutes of lackluster no skating hockey means 30 minutes right after the game they have to burn it. 2 periods of nothing? 40 minutes of burning it right after. Once they get it in their head their skating a full 60 minute no matter what, they might decide to put that effort in the game.

I dunno. These guys have been in desperation city since about game 6 of this season. Considering that ALL teams have these sorts of off-nights where they just can't muster the energy or the ability to rise above mental and physical exhaustion and pains, I'm inclined to this Cunneyworth's explanation was reasonable and honest. Maybe too honest.

I hardly ever watch Antechambre. But seeing those guys, I found myself feeling oddly nostalgic - and kinda wishing we could assemble a management/coaching structure that included players from the last generation of consistently contending Habs teams, the Carbos and Damphousses. Silly sentiment, I guess.

I'd add Larry Robinson as well

I've been saying we should be bringing Robinson back as an assistant for the past two years. Robinson actually even asked for a job and was strung along and then ignored by Gainey. We still have a number of young dman coming up and I think the big bird is the perfect guy to further the development of Subban, as well as beaulieu and Tinordi.

As far as Carbo goes - he had his chance and if he was a viable candidate for a coaching/mgmt position, there are 29 other teams who would have shown interest.

If Damphouse wants a chance, he should at least try to move into coaching/mgmt in the minors. I'm tired of us being a grooming ground for ex-players or minor/junior french coaches with no experience. For me, there are two logical choices. Jim Nill - my pick, or if we really want a soap opera, Patrick Roy. At least he's paid his dues.

I've been saying we should be bringing Robinson back as an assistant for the past two years. Robinson actually even asked for a job and was strung along and then ignored by Gainey. We still have a number of young dman coming up and I think the big bird is the perfect guy to further the development of Subban, as well as beaulieu and Tinordi.

As far as Carbo goes - he had his chance and if he was a viable candidate for a coaching/mgmt position, there are 29 other teams who would have shown interest.

If Damphouse wants a chance, he should at least try to move into coaching/mgmt in the minors. I'm tired of us being a grooming ground for ex-players or minor/junior french coaches with no experience. For me, there are two logical choices. Jim Nill - my pick, or if we really want a soap opera, Patrick Roy. At least he's paid his dues.

I agree 100%. I think what I was really expressing was a certain forlon-ness - all these great ex-players, real leaders who bleed Habs red, yet we're run by Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth. Not to slag those gentlemen, but there's still something unseemly about our inability to pass the torch. That aside, Nill is my top candidate by some distance.

We have to play more than 20 minutes to win..Especially against a tough checking team like NJ..Price let in 3 back breakers..1 late in the 1st, 1 late in the 2nd, and a weak shot from the point...

Before I get lambasted for calling out Price on these goals, I just wanna say that he has to learn to fight through traffic to make the save..Positioning is great and all, but he looked really shaky..

On another thought, the guys need to shoot the puck when in prime scoring areas..Too many times they passed it off to a shooter that has a lesser angle..

Maybe coulda had the third, but the first was a beauty tip by parise, and the second was also a deflection off clarkson's knee. Those two were unstoppable, deflected far too close to the net to react to.

Maybe coulda had the third, but the first was a beauty tip by parise, and the second was also a deflection off clarkson's knee. Those two were unstoppable, deflected far too close to the net to react to.

I never said they were weak goals, maybe the last one, but those goals were let in at bad times in the game...He was on his knees on all 3 and deep in the net...We really need to think about getting him a viable back up to stagger more of his starts..

I knew he didn't look sharp when Parise almost scored from corner..That save he made while he was facing the goal judge was another example...I am not saying he cost us the game, but by letting in those goals at bad times of the game really took the wind out of our sails..

But, we still have to learn to play more than 20 minutes...Just an overall lazy/lack of hustle, IMO...Too many times we were watching the play instead of forcing the play in their zone...Our PP was simply throwing the puck around the periphery..

Edited by Blonde Demon

I dunno, to me this is one of those games you forget about as soon as they're over. They were tired and stunk it out. It happens to all teams - the problem is, these guys have left themselves zero margin of error, so when they take a night off it has calamatous consequences. That's what happens when you start the season 0-1000 and then flail around in a pointless rebellion against the coach. In any case, I'm not disgusted or angry with them for this particular night. Turn the page, move on.

I hope to see a flurry of trades and a nice long losing streak now; this loss killed the semi-realistic sneak into the playoff dream. Time to tank hard and get a significant pick in the first round.

• Upvote 1

I hope to see a flurry of trades and a nice long losing streak now; this loss killed the semi-realistic sneak into the playoff dream. Time to tank hard and get a significant pick in the first round.

I couldn't agree more with you.

• Upvote 1

I like how someone has said this after the last 5 losses.

Yet another win will get everyone salivating again. "Only 6 points out! Two games against Toronto!"

I like how someone has said this after the last 5 losses.

Yet another win will get everyone salivating again. "Only 6 points out! Two games against Toronto!"

Actually, another win would put them 4 out, with 2 games remaining with the 8th place team. See how that works? Until they're mathematically eliminated, this talk is going to continue. It has no bearing on tanking or selling.