Carter to Habs picking up steam?

jmaac1

Well that steam turned out to be nothing. JJ and a 1st is alot more than what I would have paid for him.

I'd have parted with the 1st, but stopped there.

We can infer that Columbus was demanding Subban in return. Which I wouldn't do even if you put a gun to my head.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have parted with the 1st, but stopped there.

We can infer that Columbus was demanding Subban in return. Which I wouldn't do even if you put a gun to my head.

Subban is better than Johnson, and our first is much better than LA's first (especially since LA's is protected for this year if they miss the playoffs).

Subban is better than Johnson, and our first is much better than LA's first (especially since LA's is protected for this year if they miss the playoffs).

Well, when it comes to the pick, you have to work from assumptions about where we'll finish in the standings. If we pick in the top three, I don't move that pick for Carter. Other than that, you can ask: would we be satisfied with a 5th-overall pick that turned out to be a player comparable to Jeff Carter? If the answer is yes, then move the pick for Carter.

That's what Burke did with Kessel. Working from the assumption that his Leafs would be a decent team, he asked whether he could reasonably expect to draft a player at (say) #10 overall who would be significantly better than Kessel. Since the answer was no, he moved the pick. His error was not this, but rather in failing to realize that his team would be bad enough to land a top-2 draft choice in the subsequent draft.

Given that there seems to be no bottom to which the Habs won't fall this season, we just might have a real shot at a top-3 pick, so holding on to the first probably is wise. I'm just saying the conventional wisdom that clings to 1st-round picks over (say), a 30-goal, 70-point big centreman isn't as wise as it's made out to be. In the first place, Carter is about as good as most such picks are likely to become. Secondly, quite a few picks fail to pan out. So once you're past the top-3 picks, high draft choices should certainly be moveable provided the return is significant and relatively young.

Well, when it comes to the pick, you have to work from assumptions about where we'll finish in the standings. If we pick in the top three, I don't move that pick for Carter. Other than that, you can ask: would we be satisfied with a 5th-overall pick that turned out to be a player comparable to Jeff Carter? If the answer is yes, then move the pick for Carter.

That's what Burke did with Kessel. Working from the assumption that his Leafs would be a decent team, he asked whether he could reasonably expect to draft a player at (say) #10 overall who would be significantly better than Kessel. Since the answer was no, he moved the pick. His error was not this, but rather in failing to realize that his team would be bad enough to land a top-2 draft choice in the subsequent draft.

Given that there seems to be no bottom to which the Habs won't fall this season, we just might have a real shot at a top-3 pick, so holding on to the first probably is wise. I'm just saying the conventional wisdom that clings to 1st-round picks over (say), a 30-goal, 70-point big centreman isn't as wise as it's made out to be. In the first place, Carter is about as good as most such picks are likely to become. Secondly, quite a few picks fail to pan out. So once you're past the top-3 picks, high draft choices should certainly be moveable provided the return is significant and relatively young.

I am actually one of the few that believes Kessel is a great player. I don't think it is a coincedence that Lupul is having a career year. Kessel is a very under rated passer. His speed and release from the right side can be down right frightening. The jury is stilll out on who won that trade, and I don't think we will know until Hamilton developes. In the end I thik Boston will win the trade, but the Kessel offer sheet was a descent calculation IMO.

You guys wouldn't have traded a d-man that is one of the worst defensively in the entire NHL and signed to a horrid contract and a first round pick for a 30 goal centre? Seriously, JJ is worse than Brisebois was in his prime. He made every d-man on the Kings worse. I'm not exaggerating, every regular d-man's +/- on the Kings was worse with Johnson as their partner than without him. For over two years.

Benoit Pouliot was a better draft pick than Jack Johnson. Except that JJ netted Carolina Tim Gleason, who is much better than Jack Johnson.

JJ is M-A Bergeron with size and draft pedigree. He lacks any kind of hockey sense, he has no idea where to go on the ice. Even Dean Lombardi, his GM, said this about JJ two years ago. He signed him thinking he had improved (but really because he put up big PP points last year), and he's been awful all around this year. His -12 on the Kings would likely be a -30 on the Blue Jackets, and he's not even facing the toughest competition (Mitchell and Doughty do).

Getting rid of Johnson and that insane salary he had will help the Kings as much as adding Carter will.

Scott Howson has, with the last two trades he made, stolen the title of worst GM in hockey from Steve Tambellini and taken a massive lead. Columbus will finish in the bottom 3-5 for the next four or five years. And I predict they won't be in Columbus anymore by then.

I am actually one of the few that believes Kessel is a great player. I don't think it is a coincedence that Lupul is having a career year. Kessel is a very under rated passer. His speed and release from the right side can be down right frightening. The jury is stilll out on who won that trade, and I don't think we will know until Hamilton developes. In the end I thik Boston will win the trade, but the Kessel offer sheet was a descent calculation IMO.

Sorry to disagree 100% and which jury would still be out? Segain by himself is a better all round player than "Kess" and Hamilton is a big cant miss d-man. It is almost in the MIlbury catagory of dumb deals for a non-playoff team to make.

Kessel is a good scorer for sure, but other than that, he is Cammalleri-like and as soft as it gets.