Habs claim Brad Staubitz

Trizzak

I like fighting,not a fan of goons,BUT White can't do it alone. He needs some help in the fisticuff dept. he is coming of a serious injury.

I like the Rags acquiring Scott to offset any B.S the B's or Flyers might try

Yeah I'm sure he'll be really useful in their pressbox giving Lucic an intimidating stare. He's unlikely to dress a single playoff game.

Jon Scott is the baddest man in the NHL. He's an asset to any team. Sure he'll be in the press box, but for the out of conference/non rivalry games. You need a goon. Why have Aaron Palushaj out there for 6-10 minutes a game when you can have a fighter? Doesn't make much sense to me. White is a good fighter, but he should fight in his weight class, and he's here to kill penalties and provide for the fourth line. Entertainment value! That's what these guys provide, they're always into the action, and usually make good teammates. Just because the Laraque experiment didnt work doesnt mean we dont need a fighter. Here's to Brad Staubitz!

Edited by Lovett's Magnatones

Jon Scott is the baddest man in the NHL. He's an asset to any team. Sure he'll be in the press box, but for the out of conference/non rivalry games. You need a goon. Why have Aaron Palushaj out there for 6-10 minutes a game when you can have a fighter? Doesn't make much sense to me. White is a good fighter, but he should fight in his weight class, and he's here to kill penalties and provide for the fourth line. Entertainment value! That's what these guys provide, they're always into the action, and usually make good teammates. Just because the Laraque experiment didnt work doesnt mean we dont need a fighter. Here's to Brad Staubitz!

But it doesn't help you win.

In the playoffs when winning is most important; 5 of 6 cup champs played their goon a grand total of 0 games.

Even Thornton the only goon to actually play a playoff game for a cup champ was a regular healthy scratch too in 9 playoff games.

It might be regular season entertainment but it has 0 impact on wins and losses.

So does this mean we are at the contract limit and won't be able to go after college UFA's?

I think Dlbair suggested that they could be signed to PTAs and added to clear day rosters? We have or are purposed to have quite a few newcomers next year, so i don't really know if they will have any space to sign those PTA's next year.

But it doesn't help you win.

In the playoffs when winning is most important; 5 of 6 cup champs played their goon a grand total of 0 games.

Even Thornton the only goon to actually play a playoff game for a cup champ was a regular healthy scratch too in 9 playoff games.

It might be regular season entertainment but it has 0 impact on wins and losses.

You mean the only goon last season?

I love rough and tough hockey but am puzzled by this. Like most of you I want a guy who can fight but more importantly play. I would have loved to get a middle weight like an Anthony Stewart when he was available. In other words a guy who can defend himself, stick up for guys but ply a regular shift.

Why Staubitz however when you have a guy like Schultz nipping at the bud. I'm guessing this was a financial decision instead of hockey decision because the Habs pay only half of Staubitz instead of the full Schultz?

So does this mean we are at the contract limit and won't be able to go after college UFA's?

We can still go after them but cannot offer to play them in a game this season to burn a year off the ELC. We'd have to send any signee directly to Hamilton.

Dumb because the one game is often the deal maker for high end forwards and defence.

All so we can have a goon for 20 games.

You mean the only goon last season?

sample size is everything otherwise Sam Gagner is the best player in hockey.

We can still go after them but cannot offer to play them in a game this season to burn a year off the ELC. We'd have to send any signee directly to Hamilton.

Dumb because the one game is often the deal maker for high end forwards and defence.

All so we can have a goon for 20 games.

sample size is everything otherwise Sam Gagner is the best player in hockey.

Isn't he?

I love rough and tough hockey but am puzzled by this. Like most of you I want a guy who can fight but more importantly play. I would have loved to get a middle weight like an Anthony Stewart when he was available. In other words a guy who can defend himself, stick up for guys but ply a regular shift.

Why Staubitz however when you have a guy like Schultz nipping at the bud. I'm guessing this was a financial decision instead of hockey decision because the Habs pay only half of Staubitz instead of the full Schultz?

which is like a $30,000 difference at this point in the year, basically peanuts.

This is more about not rushing a kid who isn't close to ready and needs more AHL time not penny pinching imo.

which is like a $30,000 difference at this point in the year, basically peanuts.

This is more about not rushing a kid who isn't close to ready and needs more AHL time not penny pinching imo.

I wonder if alot of what was done was penny pinching. Molson bought the Habs, is in debt because of it and needed the playoff revenues. Since that is out of the picture we've dumped Cammallari, Kostitsyn and Gill who make a combined $12 million and have instead acquired Kaberle and Bourque who make a combined $8 million.

The fact Markov is on IR and basically being paid by insurance....all positives for Molson.

He'll finish in the black obviously with or without the playoff revenues but these moves to save coin all help the bottom line.

i'm with you. It's pointless having an enforcer when the season is over,unless it's to take the pressure off White. Besides Stewart,there were plenty of tough guys who can play,that were available cheap on July 1st. Rupp,Torres,Winchester,Asham,Konopka,Vandermeer,O'Brien and others. You can pick off some you don't like,but 3 of those type of guys scattered in the lineup would have made a big difference this season. For toughness and character. All for around $5m combined.

I wonder if alot of what was done was penny pinching.  Molson bought the Habs, is in debt because of it and needed the playoff revenues.  Since that is out of the picture we've dumped Cammallari, Kostitsyn and Gill who make a combined $12 million and have instead acquired Kaberle and Bourque who make a combined $8 million.

The fact Markov is on IR and basically being paid by insurance....all positives for Molson.

He'll finish in the black obviously with or without the playoff revenues but these moves to save coin all help the bottom line.

Do you really think the Kostitsyn and Gill moves were made with the motivation of saving money? Or do you think they were a 15th place club selling rental UFAs for future assets?

Do you really think the Kostitsyn and Gill moves were made with the motivation of saving money? Or do you think they were a 15th place club selling rental UFAs for future assets?

I don't know the source but someone has been claiming that these Molsons are the same as the last Molsons and are penny pinching and don't have a lot of money. And people are believing it.

I don't know the source but someone has been claiming that these Molsons are the same as the last Molsons and are penny pinching and don't have a lot of money. And people are believing it.

If so, should be interesting to see what becomes of Gomez. I've got him penciled into next years starting line up. Due to the money involved in getting rid of him. Which we've gone over 100 times.

If so, should be interesting to see what becomes of Gomez. I've got him penciled into next years starting line up. Due to the money involved in getting rid of him. Which we've gone over 100 times.

If true ill start making sell the team molson t shirts.

Given the track record of always holding onto assets and letting them walk for nothing I wonder if it is not a bit of both.

Given the track record of always holding onto assets and letting them walk for nothing I wonder if it is not a bit of both.

I think you are grasping at straws here to confirm a theory that Molson is a penny-pincher. If your theory is correct, and it might be, its not these moves that prove or disprove it. These are hockey moves first and foremost. Moves any last place club should do. The real test is what happens to Gomez in September.

He did his job last night and lets hope we can see him play a little more before we label him just a goon. Nice to see someone other then moen and white have some balls on this team.