Habs claim Brad Staubitz

Trizzak

He did his job last night and lets hope we can see him play a little more before we label him just a goon. Nice to see someone other then moen and white have some balls on this team.

He had 173 PIMS last year with 9 points and 0 points this year with nearly 90. It's safe to say he's just a goon...now whether or not he can be a useful one remains to be seen but we can easily classify him as the prototypical 5 minute a game tough guy.

We need someone to watch over the kids we are going to play down the stretch. Seems to fit that bill.

Agreed,and that should go in to next year also. Keep in mind Pleks,Gionta and Cammi all said at various times that they either: liked seeing BGL on the bench,and/or that the lineup needed toughness/enforcer,even before the infamous "Boston beatdown". Only JM and the anti-fighting "doves" disagreed.

We need someone to watch over the kids we are going to play down the stretch. Seems to fit that bill.

Wont prevent a thing but if someone gets injured he'll go out and get revenge by punching someone a couple times which will accomplish nothing. See Matt Hendricks vs Rene Bourque while Backstrom is still hurt; or Shawn Thornton vs Matt Cooke while Marc Savard's career is over.

Staubitz did more for the habs and was more useful in his first game than any of the minor league call-ups have done all year.it's about time we had someont to stick up for the players

Leblanc has been solid imo.

I already like him a lot more than Gentle George...at least this Staubitz accepts his role.

I was hoping we would get Ryan Reaves from St Louis at some point and was pleasently surprised to see a fight between Staubitz and Reaves from January in which Staubitz held his own. Pretty even fight actually. I'd still like it if we got Reaves too though, like when we had Nilan and Kordic (albeit without Nilan's offence).

Only thing I question about the Staubitz pickup is if that basically just killed any chance we had at signing a top free agent NCAA player in the next couple of weeks. The best ones usually only sign with a guarantee that they'll play a game in the NHL this season to burn a year taken off their ELC. We're at the 50 contract limit. We can't offer them that at all.

• Upvote 1

Only thing I question about the Staubitz pickup is if that basically just killed any chance we had at signing a top free agent NCAA player in the next couple of weeks. The best ones usually only sign with a guarantee that they'll play a game in the NHL this season to burn a year taken off their ELC. We're at the 50 contract limit. We can't offer them that at all.

Thats a prime reason to hate this move.

That's likely more Gauthier's fault in not finding a single team to take some scraps at the deadline or before. He had the entire year to clear a few contracts and he didn't do it.

Scraps just didnt move this year like previous ones, but yeah Gauthier needed to see that based on discussions he was having

Thats a prime reason to hate this move.

Hey, if players have gone to the coach and GM saying "We need some protection out there" (which reportedly a few have over the past few seasons), then fine, Staubitz makes everyone feel good.

But if I hear reports about Montreal being in the mix for a top college player, and him signing elsewhere to play in the NHL this season, then I'm pissed.

How can Gauthier allow his team to be bottom of the league and not have a contract spot open? That's simply bad management.

Scraps just didnt move this year like previous ones, but yeah Gauthier needed to see that based on discussions he was having

There were actually a few good examples of scrap picking, one being... Robert Slanley to the Canadiens.

Can't see how in the several Nashville trades that Gauthier didn't have a single opportunity of having them take someone to Peoria with them.

There were actually a few good examples of scrap picking, one being... Robert Slanley to the Canadiens.

Can't see how in the several Nashville trades that Gauthier didn't have a single opportunity of having them take someone to Peoria with them.

Taking Slaney and freeing a spot for them was the price of Geoffrion and the pick.

I dont blame him for that.

But when Kosty was the only guy he could move by noon to grab Staubitz he shouldve seen the writing on the wall that moving Campoli and Darche werent sure things.

But when Kosty was the only guy he could move by noon to grab Staubitz he shouldve seen the writing on the wall that moving Campoli and Darche werent sure things.

This draft was very weird and I don't think the book is closed on what truly happened. I keep hearing that sellers had the prices too high the whole deadline and when 2PM hit, it was now the sellers in the hot seat and the buyers weren't taking their overpriced offers. That's why Tampa unloaded quickly when other teams couldn't, Yzerman was the first to recognize the holding pattern and adjust accordingly.

If Gauthier at 9AM had said Campoli for a 7th, I think Campoli would have been moved. However, he was probably asking for better because the price at the time for sellers was better and when Detroit could only get a 7th for Commodore, it ruined everyone elses gameplan. Nobody wanted to unload the Campoli's and Spacek's for just a 7th and now that was the set market price. They screwed themselves over by holding for too long.

Commodore wasnt dealt for a 7th though, it was a conditional 7th if Tampa makes the playoffs. Detroit gets nothing if they miss the playoffs. Basically gave him away for free.

My theory on that trade is that it was connected to the Quincey deal. Detroit wanted to dump him in that deal and Yzerman said "try and deal him for a 6th or 7th and if you cant i'll take him if I have to"

The only market Commodore set is that he wasn't even tradeable.

With Tampa is that the pieces they actually sold are lineup regulars on their new clubs. None are 7th D or 13th forwards. The press box guys didn't move this year with only a couple exceptions.