Offensive Tattoo Question

Fanpuck33

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that the number 88 was associated with neo-nazism?

• Yes
    • No

Ok, so last night Strikeforce (an MMA promotion) put on an event in Columbus. One of the fighters they signed on late notice was a guy who fights for a small promotion out of Cleveland. During his fight, people noticed a tattoo on his shoulder of the number 88 and lightning bolts. Apparently, "88" is code for "HH", refering to "Hiel Hitler." In addition, lightning bolts were associated with the SS in Nazi Germany.

A lot of people were outraged about this and think Strikeforce was ridiculous to sign him to fight for them. These people say that it's common knowledge that it was racist symbolism, but I contend that it's not at all unreasonable to think the people who signed him had no idea the tattoo had such racist symbolsim. So far, I haven't found anyone I knew who was aware of this, so I wanted to get an even wider sample of people to see if I'm correct about this not being common knowledge.

Gotta ask, was the fighter born in 1988?

Nope, 1986. Also, his nickname is "White Steel" and he just kind of looks like a white supremicist, so I have no doubt that he is one after knowing what I do now. Before, I just though he had a lame nickname.

I didn't know about the 88 thing until a few years ago when Machine of Loving Grace told me about it.

At HF there is a Bruins fan who is a total douche and goes by the name Sarge88 and MOLG told me his username means he's a white supremicist, he wishes he was a Sargeant in the SS.

I know what it means because of that, but I didn't before.  I'm not convinced its common knowledge.

What does this mean for Eric Lindros and Patrick Kane?

I studied history (including World Wars) so I happened to know it. But indeed, I don't think that most people know about it.

Same, as a history major i knew it... but, I do not think it is common knowledge.

What does this mean for Eric Lindros and Patrick Kane?

Kane was born in 88 so the meaning is the same for him as it is for say Crosby wearing 87.

I believe Peter Mueller wears 88 for the same reason.

Lindros... is a tough one. I've actually tried to research why he wore 88. Closest I've gotten was someone telling me they were friends with a player from the Generals (not sure who) that said Lindros took #88 because #8 was taken. Which makes perfect sense, it's why Gretzky wore #99. I'd like to think it's that and not white supremacy.

But yeah, 88 is defintiely a Nazi thing. It'd be nice if we're not seeing a bunch of Prussian Blue kids growing up covertly wearing a Nazi number to cover up their true beliefs. I'd rather people with those prejudices out in the open.

Kane was born in 88 so the meaning is the same for him as it is for say Crosby wearing 87.

Lindros... is a tough one. I've actually tried to research why he wore 88. Closest I've gotten was someone telling me they were friends with a player from the Generals (not sure who) that said Lindros took #88 because #8 was taken. Which makes perfect sense, it's why Gretzky wore #99. I'd like to think it's that and not white supremacy.

But yeah, 88 is defintiely a Nazi thing. It'd be nice if we're not seeing a bunch of Prussian Blue kids growing up covertly wearing a Nazi number to cover up their true beliefs. I'd rather people with those prejudices out in the open.

I thought Lindros doing 88 was a direct response to Gretzky's 99... which seems silly now, but he was thought to be a "rival" to Gretzky's skill at one point.

Lindros... is a tough one.  I've actually tried to research why he wore 88.  Closest I've gotten was someone telling me they were friends with a player from the Generals (not sure who) that said Lindros took #88 because #8 was taken.  Which makes perfect sense, it's why Gretzky wore #99.  I'd like to think it's that and not white supremacy.

But yeah, 88 is defintiely a Nazi thing.  It'd be nice if we're not seeing a bunch of Prussian Blue kids growing up covertly wearing a Nazi number to cover up their true beliefs.  I'd rather people with those prejudices out in the open.

The lindros and kane questions were tongue in cheek.