Hamilton vs Toronto, March 10, 3 PM

dlbalr

The Bulldogs will look to kick off the road trip that will seem like it'll never end today as they travel to Toronto in the hopes of scoring a goal against the Marlies.

button_ham.jpg

Active scoring leaders:

Goals: Andreas Engqvist (18)

Assists: Frederic St-Denis (22)

+/-: Henry/Slaney (+2)

PIMS: Zack FitzGerald (197)

button_tor.jpg

Active scoring leaders:

Goals: Ryan Hamilton (22)

Assists: Mike Zigomanis (35)

+/-: Marcel Mueller (+14)

PIMS: Kelsey Wilson (81)

Puck drop is at 3:00 PM EST and can be listened to by clicking this link: http://cham.player.amri.ca/

The Marlies will be on the PP to start the 2nd after St-Denis took a late penalty. Pierre Gauthier is coming up in the 1st intermission, wonder if the news of the day will get mentioned. Shots are 12-3 Toronto through 1.

Good news is that Gauthier mentioned Markov will play tonight. Bad news is he thinks Mayer is in goal for the Dogs per his interview with Al Craig.

Good news is that Gauthier mentioned Markov will play tonight. Bad news is he thinks Mayer is in goal for the Dogs per his interview with Al Craig.

Yeah... Why can't they put Delmas in net in Hamilton!

I wonder if they might closer to the end of the year. As long as the Bulldogs are somewhat fighting for a playoff spot, they have to go with Lawson who has been sharp lately.

Of course, but Delmas has to be better then Mayer!

Hamilton is short on players, they should be rolling with the better goalie... i mean Delmas starting in the ECHL is great and all, but I think he should be up in AHL getting in some important games fighting for the playoffs. I would think that would help development if anything. (even just limited games backing up Lawson)

What's better for his development? Playing 1/4 of the games in Hamilton of 1/2 in Wheeling? It's an interesting discussion point. He has played 40+ games in a season once in his career and that includes junior. (His high is 41.) The Nailers look like they're safely in a playoff spot and Delmas is on their eligibility roster; he isn't on Hamilton's Clear Day. Unless someone goes down, he'll be in the ECHL for the rest of the year.

I was going by the broadcast report as I refuse to pay the $15.00 parking at the Ricoh and the more expensive tickets if purchased day of game there too.(The alternative is buy via Ticketmaster and get hit with their "convenience charges".) It's a no win situation for spectators. I agree with the broadcast crew right now that the Bulldogs have no natural scorers. It also seemed everytime we had a PP, Lawson had to come up with some big saves to avoid a shortie. Marlies and before that, St. John Leafs, have always used initimidation as one of their tools. Just the start of the road trip from hell.

You never know though-away from the gawd awful ice at Copps, they might be better

What is worng with the ice at Copps this year?  Its never been this bad before, ifrc.  Its clearly an issue, but why. I also agree big time with the lack of naturally skilled players in Hamilton right now. They really miss leblanc and Palushaj and also need the influz in talent of kristo, gallagher, holland, bournival and Quailer. This is also a reason why Avtsin is so frustrating.

I've heard from an inside source that the ice plant is on its' last legs and has been this way for about four years. It's embarassing to see better ice at OHA rinks in Dundas (which is part of Hamilton) and Brantford. The Copp's ice seems to snow up about 10 minutes into every period and is often wet at the start of most periods. The dry scrape used for shootouts seems to serve no useful purpose. Honestly I think that's why they're better on the road. I know it's the same for both teams, but the bad ice just slows down the small faster guys which this organization seems to be built on. I've attended about 20 home games this season and am just amazed watching passes die for no apparent reason, other than the puck is making like a mini snow plow.

My conspiracy theory is that when there is a larger than normal crowd, the building is warmer, and with the old ice plant, the ice is worse. It can't keep up.

There's a few operational issues I still think the team needs to explore in the off season as far as customers. On Fridays, does anyone else think it's a little odd that beer is $3.00 yet water is $4.00 (you should hear parents howl when they find out the water fountains were removed 5-6 years ago). One thing I noticed too is Friday night the Dogs wore a cheaper generic jersey described as their alternate third. I've seen this before-this cheaper jersey will be the one used for the jerseys off our back promotion while the nice regular ones will be sold off at top dollar as usual. Check Friday's pictures re the jerseys. One thing too I can't get a straight answer on is why injured or scratched players are not made available at an autograph table between periods. It's like pulling teeth getting an autograph the last few years and with the way this team has played, they should be glad that they're requested. Instead they suggest you buy tickets to the bowling tournament, etc. to get autographs.

The Dogs Foundation seems to be charity oriented but sometimes they fail to see charity begins at home.

Edited by miklin

I've heard from an inside source that the ice plant is on its' last legs and has been this way for about four years. It's embarassing to see better ice at OHA rinks in Dundas (which is part of Hamilton) and Brantford. The Copp's ice seems to snow up about 10 minutes into every period and is often wet at the start of most periods. The dry scrape used for shootouts seems to serve no useful purpose. Honestly I think that's why they're better on the road. I know it's the same for both teams, but the bad ice just slows down the small faster guys which this organization seems to be built on. I've attended about 20 home games this season and am just amazed watching passes die for no apparent reason, other than the puck is making like a mini snow plow.

My conspiracy theory is that when there is a larger than normal crowd, the building is warmer, and with the old ice plant, the ice is worse. It can't keep up.

They started renting the ice to "Steel City Hockey" a beer league on nights the Dogs aren't playing this year as well. Not sure what effect this is having on the ice surface,

There's a few operational issues I still think the team needs to explore in the off season as far as customers. On Fridays, does anyone else think it's a little odd that beer is $3.00 yet water is $4.00 (you should hear parents howl when they find out the water fountains were removed 5-6 years ago).

I'm not complaining about cheap beer night. That seems like a good thing to bring fans into the building IMO.

One thing I noticed too is Friday night the Dogs wore a cheaper generic jersey described as their alternate third.  I've seen this before-this cheaper jersey will be the one used for the jerseys off our back promotion while the nice regular ones will be sold off at top dollar as usual. Check Friday's pictures re the jerseys.

The jerseys didn't seem cheap to me. I was at the game and while they were certainly the third jerseys, I can't say that they were cheaper material than the regular jerseys. They also where these 3rds for one game and then raffle them for charity, while they sell the home/away jerseys also for charity. I really don't have big complaints about that.

One thing too I can't get a straight answer on is why injured or scratched players are not made available at an autograph table between periods. It's like pulling teeth getting an autograph the last few years and with the way this team has played, they should be glad that they're requested. Instead they suggest you buy tickets to the bowling tournament, etc. to get autographs.

The Dogs Foundation seems to be charity oriented but sometimes they fail to see charity begins at home.

I think they want the scratches to actually watch the game. It can be a great learning tool for young players watching from the press box or crowd with a veteran player or assistant coach, or another member of the organization.

I agree that the scratches should watch the game but at intermission, they've got time to sit for 15 minutes and do autographs for sure. Friday the Dogs wore a Rebok THC00 jersey which is the one a lot of teams use as their pre-season generic jersey. (If you happen to be a Jersey collector btw, Meigray.com have four Albany River Rats game worn pre season ones available for $90.00-they are numbered but no name plate-check their clearance section).

It has been a pet peeve of mine (if you have read the old Forum on the Dogs site which was removed this year), that the City of Hamilton seems blissfully unaware that the water fountains at the Copps were removed 6 years ago and never replaced. $4.00 for a bottle of water from the machines is outrageous and earlier this season, they had the ticket takers checking lady's handbags for food and drink brought in from outside. After offering some reasonable ticket deals (like the family four pak), they lose a lot of credibility with overpriced food and drink.

Finally, they have to improve the souvenir program-$5.00 for something that looks like the Playbill that you receive at the theatre is way too much. The Marlies do an excellent full size one for $3.00. I bought a copy of the Dogs one last week and it was only the second program issued this season. It had a Subway coupon that expired Dec 31-2011 and listed Perry Pearn and Jacques Martin as coaches for the parent Habs. That's an embarassment. Maybe they'd sell more if there were lucky number prizes. The current issue usually has one prize- a left over from the outdoor game based on a player autograph. Just some random thoughts..................