Palushaj: Keep him or turf him?

dlbalr

Mitchell had an interesting column discussing the future of Aaron Palushaj, whether or not he should stay or go next season. While we eagerly (?) await tomorrow's game, I figured I'd toss the question out there to you guys, what should be done with him?

Here is Mitchell's article: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2758

(Depending on the number and quality of responses, we may run an ATB column next week as a follow-up to the article.)

Mitchell had an interesting column discussing the future of Aaron Palushaj, whether or not he should stay or go next season.  While we eagerly (?) await tomorrow's game, I figured I'd toss the question out there to you guys, what should be done with him?

Here is Mitchell's article:  http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2758

(Depending on the number of and quality of responses, we may run an ATB column next week as a follow-up to the article.)

Make him his qualifying offer (2 way deal), keep him around for training camp and see how he does. If he's not gonna make the team out of camp, you take your chances on the waiver wire (as he'll lose his exemption this summer). He's got offensive talent in the AHL, so if he clears waiver he helps the Bulldogs and gets another season to see how he's doing.

Why is this guy even on the team? We should have given his spot to develop Ian Schultz as a 3rd liner instead of wasting the chance on Palushaj. He's small, he's slow, he rarely hits or makes creative passes. I don't mind having Leblanc up here because at least he has talent and size. Take a flier on this chump, and throw in Enqvist to Boston for a case of Gatorade.

We don't normally sign RFA's if they haven't made a significant showing by the time their entery level contract is done.Personnally don't that another year is going to make any difference. However if you take all the players in the same boat and let them go , you will find that you will have the same problem as last year, and that is not alot of almost ready depth. I don't think signing RFA's and having to pass them through waivers is as much as an issue as it once was. I am more concerned as to who is going to be number one center in Hamilton next year.

Why is this guy even on the team?  We should have given his spot to develop Ian Schultz as a 3rd liner instead of wasting the chance on Palushaj.  He's small, he's slow, he rarely hits or makes creative passes.  I don't mind having Leblanc up here because at least he has talent and size.  Take a flier on this chump, and throw in Enqvist to Boston for a case of Gatorade.

How much have you watched of Ian Schultz... in two years he's been a quality AHL player for about 2, maybe 3 months of that time, the rest of it he's been barely passable.  Meanwhile Palushaj is a PPG player in the AHL.  Schultz is not even close to NHL ready and you want him on the roster ahead of Palushaj?  Why? To do what? To be embarrassed out there as his hockey sense, and ability to read and react to plays is barely AHL caliber.

Make him his qualifying offer (2 way deal), keep him around for training camp and see how he does. If he's not gonna make the team out of camp, you take your chances on the waiver wire (as he'll lose his exemption this summer). He's got offensive talent in the AHL, so if he clears waiver he helps the Bulldogs and gets another season to see how he's doing.

I think that move makes sense, but would you want him taking away minutes in the AHL from guys like Gallagher or Kristo?

I think that move makes sense, but would you want him taking away minutes in the AHL from guys like Gallagher or Kristo?

Every farm team needs veterans, guys like Gallagher/Kristo are going to need to start on lower lines. A guy like Palushaj would be an ideal veteran, a young one with a fair amount of experience and isn't over the hill (such as Hamilton's very own Brian Willsie).

Every farm team needs veterans, guys like Gallagher/Kristo are going to need to start on lower lines. A guy like Palushaj would be an ideal veteran, a young one with a fair amount of experience and isn't over the hill (such as Hamilton's very own Brian Willsie).

Agreed. AHL teams are not supposed to be *just* rookies and prospects. Every team needs veterans to know how to win when things get tough. If you want to see how a team operates when it is nothing but youngsters with no real veteran leadership, look at the Toronto Maple Leafs. Right now the Norfolk Admirals are setting AHL records and they wouldn't do it without Michel Ouellet, Richard Petiot and Jean-Philippe Cote. Another top team in the AHL, the Oklahoma City Barons are provided phenomenal leadership by Bryan Helmer, a 40 year old defenceman. Lets not forget the difference Mike Keane made for his years of service on the Manitoba Moose.

Of course I'm talking about much older players than Palushaj but it's a good possibility he's a late bloomer. Better for him to be making guys like Gallagher look good than leaving him to his own devices.

Very good point. How long does Hamilton have Willsie?

Room for 3 lines of wings getting quality time. I think a vet who can score in Hamilton will help them win which will also be important. Yes they are getting a ton of talent but rookies dont usually rip up the AHL in their first year so another vet who can score a PPG doesnt hurt that team. Winning hockey is a good experience for the kids too.

Room for 3 lines of wings getting quality time. I think a vet who can score in Hamilton will help them win which will also be important. Yes they are getting a ton of talent but rookies dont usually rip up the AHL in their first year so another vet who can score a PPG doesnt hurt that team. Winning hockey is a good experience for the kids too.

I agree and he is still young and can still work on his game there. He doesn't fit our needs at the moment but saying that we shouldn't curb him yet

got to agree with the above re Schultz-although I feel he hasn't beem 100% healthy the last couple months. His skating is still suspect and he appears slow getting back to the bench after a slightly longer than normal shift.

got to agree with the above re Schultz-although I feel he hasn't beem 100% healthy the last couple months. His skating is still suspect and he appears slow getting back to the bench after a slightly longer than normal shift.

I still have hope Schultz will reach NHL level, but he's not close yet.

I like him a lot. He has got good hockey sense and good skills. He is an above average skater, but need a little bit more muscle to compete in the NHL. He is definitely a keeper, but the coach will have to give him good teamates. No sense to keep a guy like him on the 4th line; he will probably be a 3rd line winger for all his career, but I believe that, given the chance, he might go as high as the 2nd line.

I can't see him becoming a top 6 forward, but given a shot with the right linemates (i.e. not the terrible ones like he's been getting recently) he could be a decent bottom six guy who contributes a bit offensively.

They most definitely should qualify the player, for those who don't think he's made progress during his ELC I can't honestly see how you can make that case, as he's one of the best AHL players currently and was only a 3rd line AHLer his first year. There might be a bit of a Maxwell case in him but he could turn out a bit like the guy he was traded for in D'Agostini in the right setup. A bottom six role doesn't have to mean grinding or defence only, it is more increasingly being used around the NHL as an advantageous matchup line to get some easy offence.

Comparing D'Agostini to Palushaj is interesting.

D'Agostini spent two full seasons in Hamilton before receiving time in Montreal. His next season he had some issues with consistency before his first full season in St. Louis where he showed himself as a half point per game potential top six forward. This season, the inconsistency came in again and he unfortunately got injured. He got knocked down the depth chart on the Blues as well.

For Palushaj, he's three years younger. He's spent his two solid seasons in the AHL. Where they could be different is that D'Agostini had a pretty good year in 08-09 for the Canadiens before having 47 games and just four points with a -15 in 09-10 between Montreal and St. Louis. Palushaj is currently sitting with just a point less and a much better +/- in less games. However, he hasn't had that opportunity like D'Agostini had playing with Saku Koivu. That's where D'Agostini got a lot of points in 08-09.

The reason I compare the two is because they are very similar players. While D'Agostini I'd say is a better shooter, Palushaj is a smarter player who just needs to get tougher and more aggressive to the net. Palushaj needs to put on some weight but when he does, he could have that second/third line ability. I have trouble giving up on under 25 year olds with a brain. Once he hits D'Agostini's age, that's when you question to keep him or not.

Comparing D'Agostini to Palushaj is interesting.

D'Agostini spent two full seasons in Hamilton before receiving time in Montreal.  His next season he had some issues with consistency before his first full season in St. Louis where he showed himself as a half point per game potential top six forward.  This season, the inconsistency came in again and he unfortunately got injured.  He got knocked down the depth chart on the Blues as well.

For Palushaj, he's three years younger.  He's spent his two solid seasons in the AHL.  Where they could be different is that D'Agostini had a pretty good year in 08-09 for the Canadiens before having 47 games and just four points with a -15 in 09-10 between Montreal and St. Louis.  Palushaj is currently sitting with just a point less and a much better +/- in less games.  However, he hasn't had that opportunity like D'Agostini had playing with Saku Koivu.  That's where D'Agostini got a lot of points in 08-09.

The reason I compare the two is because they are very similar players.  While D'Agostini I'd say is a better shooter, Palushaj is a smarter player who just needs to get tougher and more aggressive to the net.  Palushaj needs to put on some weight but when he does, he could have that second/third line ability.  I have trouble giving up on under 25 year olds with a brain.  Once he hits D'Agostini's age, that's when you question to keep him or not.

Good Analysis. I agree with this. An offseason of putting on some upper body muscle would be great for Palushaj.

Apparently there is an article in french about not resigning Engqvist. I have to wonder if in regards to the RFA's , if its about what they have shown on the ice OR not having the decision maker (GM) in place going forward to make critical decisions. I guess it comes down to the fact that ideally who should be conducting the exit interviews.

Engqvist is going to be 25 next year, he's had his crack at the NHL and didn't make it. He can make 4-5x the money in the SEL that he makes in the AHL.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Engqvist's agent who told the Habs, don't bother with this RFA, he gave it two years, but he's out now.

I don't blame him either.

One RFA that definitely should not receive a qualifying offer is Petteri Nokelainen.... he really shouldn't ever see the NHL again. I kind of wish the Habs gave Engqvist one last shot at the 4th line spot down the stretch but the callup limitation likely prevented it. Both will likely be in Europe next year.

One RFA that definitely should not receive a qualifying offer is Petteri Nokelainen.... he really shouldn't ever see the NHL again. I kind of wish the Habs gave Engqvist one last shot at the 4th line spot down the stretch but the callup limitation likely prevented it. Both will likely be in Europe next year.

Nokia wasn't that bad. He wasn't that good either.