Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

Funny you should mention that. McGuire was offered the Assistant GM in Pittsburgh and he refused it. Shero then hired Fletcher as an alternative.

Didn't know that.

Again, that's arrogance on McGuire's part. He refuses to actually work in any level of hockey because the last time he was told to prove himself after Hartford, he couldn't coach an ECHL team to a winning record.

Didn't know that.

Again, that's arrogance on McGuire's part. He refuses to actually work in any level of hockey because the last time he was told to prove himself after Hartford, he couldn't coach an ECHL team to a winning record.

He was offered the job because he and Shero are apparently best friend. A matter of fact they were the best men at each others weddings. I think McGuire simply wanted to be handed the reigns of a team and not be behind the scenes like we was in hartford, Pittsburgh and Ottawa as well. Instead he wanted to take the TSN or NBC gig to maybe gets a bigger name for himself in hockey????

He was offered the job because he and Shero are apparently best friend. A matter of fact they were the best men at each others weddings. I think McGuire simply wanted to be handed the reigns of a team and not be behind the scenes like we was in hartford, Pittsburgh and Ottawa as well. Instead he wanted to take the TSN or NBC gig to maybe gets a bigger name for himself in hockey????

That's exactly it, though. McGuire wants a team to just give him control. He doesn't want to prove he deserves control. At least Roy proved he could win in Quebec. At least Bergevin has worked every role given to him in Chicago with success. At least Loiselle has worked for four different teams in two different leagues in various roles.

McGuire is the college graduate complaining about no work in his field because he won't intern or do projects anywhere and just continues to work the 9 to 5 he had before he went to college. No drive. No want.

That's exactly it, though. McGuire wants a team to just give him control. He doesn't want to prove he deserves control. At least Roy proved he could win in Quebec. At least Bergevin has worked every role given to him in Chicago with success. At least Loiselle has worked for four different teams in two different leagues in various roles.

McGuire is the college graduate complaining about no work in his field because he won't intern or do projects anywhere and just continues to work the 9 to 5 he had before he went to college. No drive. No want.

I can't speak for the guy so maybe his mind set is that he did his time serving in various capacities. But I don't even buy the "doing his time" argument personally. Gainey did his time, Gauthier did as well. JFJ did his time in Toronto, Housen in Columbus. You can go on and on of guys doing their time and ultimately failing. I just want the absolute best candidate so to me unless we hire Nil or Holland or perhaps steal Tallon out of Florida then there is absolutely no difference between McGuire, Bergevin, L'Oiselle, Dorion (out of Ottawa) or Brisebois. None of these people have been a GM at the NHL level and so none of them are more deserving over the other.

It literally comes down to personal preference.

Renaud P Lavoie ‏ @renhockey

Vincent Damphousse is getting out of the running for the next #canadiens GM. Family reason.

One candidate down.

I'm starting to like Brisson the more I think about it. Brisson as GM and Roy as coach.

• Upvote 1

Vincent Damphousse is getting out of the running for the next #canadiens GM. Family reason.

One candidate down.

I'm starting to like Brisson the more I think about it. Brisson as GM and Roy as coach.

Curious as to your thoughts on Brisson? Personally he'd be at the bottom of my list just because of that lack of inner workings of the GM position. I wonder if he'd give up the million he makes on the Crosby contract alone to work as GM. With that said I would take him on in a heart beat if it meant an inside track on Crosby when he is a UFA in a couple of years.

<p>

Curious as to your thoughts on Brisson?  Personally he'd be at the bottom of my list just because of that lack of inner workings of the GM position.  I wonder if he'd give up the million he makes on the Crosby contract alone to work as GM.  With that said I would take him on in a heart beat if it meant an inside track on Crosby when he is a UFA in a couple of years.

How does he make a million on the crosby contract?  Agent commissions are 2-3% not 10%.  

I talked about Brisson a few posts up... "Brisson is one of the best agents in the business. This would be a hire very similar to the Pierre Lacroix hire by the Nordiques way back in the day and that worked out fantastic. It would also be similar to Mike Gillis in Vancouver who has done a hell of a job with that team. The guy is very well connected. He's an excellent judge of talent (just look at his client list), and he's well versed in the CBA. He's a great negotiator of contracts. He's highly thought of and highly respected among virtually every team in the league. He's maintained a very classy approach to his business not being a mong like Allan Walsh or other agents. What's not to like?"

One candidate down.

I really like that combo. With maybe Savard around for a few years as a consultant. To me that would be a great team going forward!

The issue with Brisson will always not be whether we want Brisson but if Brisson wants to give up his role as a player agent.

It may not seem like that but it becoming he's one of the top candidates for the job should make it clear to people how incredibly valuable he is.

With Brisson you get a man who knows how to get what he wants for the best players in the NHL. If he's representing a hockey team instead, he'll get top value for your team. This means all of the worry about capologists or high priced payments will likely be gone. If Mike Gillis is any indication, look at the contracts for Burrows, the Sedins, picking up players like Samuelsson and Malhotra, etc.

Now, I'm not saying we're getting a French Canadian Gillis. However, I am saying we're getting a guy pretty much any team in the league would take in their office.

The issue with Brisson will always not be whether we want Brisson but if Brisson wants to give up his role as a player agent.

It may not seem like that but it becoming he's one of the top candidates for the job should make it clear to people how incredibly valuable he is.

With Brisson you get a man who knows how to get what he wants for the best players in the NHL.  If he's representing a hockey team instead, he'll get top value for your team.  This means all of the worry about capologists or high priced payments will likely be gone.  If Mike Gillis is any indication, look at the contracts for Burrows, the Sedins, picking up players like Samuelsson and Malhotra, etc.

Now, I'm not saying we're getting a French Canadian Gillis.  However, I am saying we're getting a guy pretty much any team in the league would take in their office.

Exactly the fact that Brisson speaks French is just gravy with him. He's a guy any team would love to interview if their GM post became available, not just teams looking for the best French speaking Candidate. For that reason you go after this man HARD... Give him the Burke contract, full control and big money.

I have a hard time believing the Montreal Canadiens would choose an agent as their next GM. For such a conservative organization, and with Savard directly involved, I can't imagine that as being the end result.

I have a hard time believing the Montreal Canadiens would choose an agent as their next GM. For such a conservative organization, and with Savard directly involved, I can't imagine that as being the end result.

This isn't any agent. This is the 12th most influential agent in sports.

I have a hard time believing the Montreal Canadiens would choose an agent as their next GM.  For such a conservative organization, and with Savard directly involved, I can't imagine that as being the end result.

Serge Savard retired as a player and was named GM of the Habs less than a month later

Serge Savard retired as a player and was named GM of the Habs less than a month later

Savard was family. And also not an agent.

Look, I'm all for Brisson as a candidate, and he very well could be the best one out there (I wouldn't ever claim to know for sure), but hiring an agent from Hollywood doesn't seem like the direction the Montreal Canadiens would go. I could be wrong.

Anyways, Vinny Damphousse withdraws from consideration, saying he's not ready for the demands of such a position yet.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/338077.html

And I breathe a tremendous sigh of relief. Damphousse has already said the Habs need a full scale Oilers style rebuild, which would effectively waste the best years of Price, Subban, and Pacioretty, three guys who are amongst the best in the world at their position in their age group.

This is the first time in how long we've actually conducted an extensive search for a GM? First time ever maybe.

Geoff Molson is an unknown commodity despite the family name. I don't think we know what he's thinking right now, or what would be a move the organization would typically do.

Also, Bertrand Raymond is saying that Julien BrisBois plans to turn down the offer because he wants his family to be raised in the same place.

I think that is for the best.

With Vincent Damphousse and Julien Brisebois out on the same day, there is only one alternative, time to bring in the best of both worlds

Patrice Brisebois.

AHAHAHAHA, can you imagine??? That would be awesome.

With Vincent Damphousse and Julien Brisebois out on the same day, there is only one alternative, time to bring in the best of both worlds

Patrice Brisebois.

What's the GM equivalent of firing a slapshot directly into the opposition's shinpads?

Cuz you know he'd have that down pat. <_<

What's the GM equivalent of firing a slapshot directly into the opposition's shinpads?

Cuz you know he'd have that down pat. <_<

Giving bad players no movement clauses

• Upvote 1