Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

Don't forget all the UFAs that would 'breeze by' him on the way to signing elsewhere ;)

(Actually, I feel that Breezer was, in the main, unfairly maligned by Habs' fans who punished him for being the #1 D-man on a horrible team and for playing on the wrong side for the entire year when he went -35. But what the hey).

Maybe we could give guys like Staubitz or Campoli no movement clauses in their deals to save a bit of cap space :D!

Its really a trick because no one would trade for em anyways :P

Kevin Lowe absolutely ruinned the Oilers... NO ######ING WAY do I want him near our team.

My thoughts exactly.

Ownership group's spokeperson - Geoff Molson

President - Pat Brisson

General Manager - Pat Brisson

Assistant GM - Larry Carriere, Patrick Boivin

Head Coach - Patrick Roy

Assistant Coaches - Sylvain Lefebvre, Benoit Groulx, Pierre Groulx

Director of Hockey Operations and Head Scout - Pierre Gauthier

Director of players development - Jacques Martin

Laval/Hamilton Bulldogs Coach - Clement Jodoin

Notes:

- We'll get Brisson by offering him both CEO+GM of the Habs.

- Fire Timmins, most overvalued scout in the history of the Habs

- Jacques Martin is still paid 4M/year.. create a position of director for players development. this seems to be a crucial area that is laking with the Habs. Martin would fit very well in that role. He may not be the best communicator, but he has seen it all and knows what it takes for a kid to become a NHLer. He's a very credible voice for any aspiring prospect in the organization.

President - Pat Brisson

Head Coach - Patrick Roy

Notes:

- Jacques Martin is still paid 4M/year.. create a position of director for players development. this seems to be a crucial area that is laking with the Habs. Martin would fit very well in that role. He may not be the best communicator, but he has seen it all and knows what it takes for a kid to become a NHLer. He's a very credible voice for any aspiring prospect in the organization.

no way do I fire Timmins and give his job to the Goat

President - Pat Brisson

Head Coach - Patrick Roy

Notes:

Fire Timmins? Are you crazy? Don't you remember Terry Ryan, Brian Wilke, Brent Biledeau, etc? Sure, you can go through any draft year and find prospects that may be better than the ones Timmins drafted, but the man has been top notch in picking out NHL talent, and our first round picks seem to be all but garanteed to play in the NHL the last 5 or 6 years, so I think you should re read your Habs history book, bud.

I watched some video on TSN about the GM job and it felt like TSN is pushing for McGuire and Risebrough.

While I don't care for Risebrough as GM, I would love him in the organization. I think he's been a fantastic pro scout for New York and either him or Andy Murray should take the job as head pro scout.

Well, I think a lot of this wish-listing about positions other than the GM's role is pretty pie-in-the-sky. The new GM will hire whoever he likes to fill all these positions; in many cases, they will probably be people most of us have barely thought of. The idea that we're gonna get some fan super-group comprised of Nill + a bunch of beloved ex-Habs (Robinson, Dryden, Damphousse, Carbo, Riseborough, yada yada yada) is fun but also, it must be said, basically silly. The GM will assemble a managerial team, not based on big names, but based on who he believes can work together as an effective unit, and they probably will be people with whom he has had a previous working relationship. It's not like assembling the managerial equivalent of a Yahoo hockey team.

President - Pat Brisson

Head Coach - Patrick Roy

Notes:

... I also suspect you want every player to be francophone as well?

If you let Timmins(sp?) go, there will be 29 teams calling him before the door closes behind him. He has done a very good job and is well respected by hockey people around the league. No draft pick is ever guaranteed to be a success story. Once a pick is made the development begins.

I'm not saying Timmins is the worst, but he's definetely not the guru everyone seems to be hypnotized with.

The trend to draft all those U.S. High school players with our top picks has to stop. It's as worse as the trend of the '90s to draft Western Beef.

We had a strong draft in 2007, and it would have look even better for us if Gainey didn't gave McDonaugh to Sather. : Timmins drafted 4 players who are in the top 25 most GP of that year. Kudos to him for that.

Since 2007 however, no players have made it to the NHL, besides Leblanc and now Dumont, both bottom lines players.

2006 was horrible. Drafting David Fisher 2 ranks before Claude Giroux is very difficult to swallow. Habs would be a completely different team by now if we paid more attention to the players in our own backyard. The Flyers surely didn't shy from drafting a "small" player with their top pick. He's the cornerstone of their team now and will be in the Art Ross battle for the next 10 years.

In 2005, we never had a pick that high with 5th overall. Price is my favorite Habs, but if Timmins was slighlty more confident in Halak he drafted 2 years earlier, maybe he would have drafted differently. 2005 was a tricky draft with lots of hit-or-miss players. It's easy to say afterwards he should have drafted Kopitar, Letang, Neal or Stasny etc, but I'm sure we're still happy to have Price instead of Brule or Skille.

We'll draft most probably at #3 this Summer. Timmins track record in drafting in the top 20 is not phenomenal. We can't miss this year, we most probably won't draft that high until long.

The trend to draft all those U.S. High school players with our top picks has to stop. It's as worse as the trend of the '90s to draft Western Beef.

McDonagh, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Tinordi...I find it difficult to find fault with any of those selections. Fischer was drafted once, that's 1 bad pick.

Since 2007 however, no players have made it to the NHL, besides Leblanc and now Dumont, both bottom lines players.

Is that Timmins' fault or the GM's for not giving him high picks to work with? No 1st in 08, no 2nd rounders in 09-11. Tinordi and Beaulieu look like they're well on their way, they're just too young right now...like most other 1st rounders those years.

2006 was horrible. Drafting David Fisher 2 ranks before Claude Giroux is very difficult to swallow. Habs would be a completely different team by now if we paid more attention to the players in our own backyard. The Flyers surely didn't shy from drafting a "small" player with their top pick. He's the cornerstone of their team now and will be in the Art Ross battle for the next 10 years.

That one stings, no one's perfect though. Lots of other teams passed on him too; heck, he shouldn't have even been in the Q had he not been waived out of the OHL. Just imagine where Montreal would be had they taken Angelo Esposito, 1st rounders from the Q fail too.

In 2005, we never had a pick that high with 5th overall. Price is my favorite Habs, but if Timmins was slighlty more confident in Halak he drafted 2 years earlier, maybe he would have drafted differently. 2005 was a tricky draft with lots of hit-or-miss players. It's easy to say afterwards he should have drafted Kopitar, Letang, Neal or Stasny etc, but I'm sure we're still happy to have Price instead of Brule or Skille.

It was between Price and Marc Staal, the franchise goalie or the 'franchise d-man' (of which I think was a mis-projection). As for being confident in Halak, he was a 9th round pick. 9th rounders aren't supposed to amount to anything and can't really be counted on.

We'll draft most probably at #3 this Summer. Timmins track record in drafting in the top 20 is not phenomenal. We can't miss this year, we most probably won't draft that high until long.

Since 2003 (when he had a big say in scouting), here are his top-20 picks:

2003 - Kostitsyn (better players picked after but has had a decent career, was rated as a top-5 talent at the time too)

2004 - Chipchura (lousy draft class, Chipchura is at least an NHL'er - could be better though)

2005 - Price (don't need to go into details there)

2006 - Fischer (ouch)

2007 - McDonagh (legit top-4 D already with potential to be top-2 or 3)

2009 - Leblanc (not a franchise player but will be a quality NHL'er)

2011 - Beaulieu (good potential, too early to assess beyond that)

Of the 5 that are old enough to have been around for a bit (excluding the 2 most recent), 3 are quality NHL'ers, 1 (Chipchura) is a regular albeit a lower line one, and 1 really, really bad bust. That's not a 'fire-able' track record to me, especially with the quality of picks later in the drafts.

Here are his picks...

'03=AK 1st, Lapierre 2nd, O'Bryne 3rd, Halak 9th (fun fact same round as fellow stlouis goalie brian elliot!)

'04=Chichura 1st, Emelin 3rd, Wyman 4th, Grabs 5th, Streit 9th.

'05=Price 1st, Lats 2nd, D'Agostini 6th, SK 7th

'06=Fischer 1st :/, Maxwell 2nd :/, White 3rd.

'07=McDonagh 1st, MaxPac 1st, PK 2nd, Weber 3rd.

Since then guys like Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher exc... I say its to soon to judge.

I think thats pretty damn good!

Thats a Line Up Of.

AK-Grabs-Max

Lats-D'Agostini-SK

Leblanc-Lapierre-White

(Blank or Maxwell)-Chipchura-Wyman

McDonagh-PK

Emelin-Streit

O'Bryne-Weber

Price

Halak

That ain't to bad! Sure lacks a little top 6 firepower, but I mean thats only drafting!

2003 Kostitsyn was a horrible pick. Tons of great and better players available in that great class.

2004 About 40 players have more GP than Chichura (drafted 18th)

2005 Hit-or-miss draft. OK, he picked a great player in Price, but in the end we would have been better off with Marc Staal. Not only we would now be with Halak and Staal, but in 2006 we probably wouldn't have drafted Fischer.

Brian, you forgot Kristo.. are we expecting to see him someday?

Brian, you forgot Kristo.. are we expecting to see him someday?

I didn't forget Kristo, he was picked 56th which fell out of your top-20 classification. We might see him, we might not, a characteristic common among 2nd rounders. If he does sign, I like his odds of playing in the NHL.

You can look at any scout and hindsight the picks and say nearly every one was a mistake. Hind sighting picks is bullshit. 20 other teams passed on Giroux too. The best way to look at things is to compare the percentage of picks Timmins has hit on vs. every other team. The studies have been done and TT is the best in the business by that ranking.

You can look at any scout and hindsight the picks and say nearly every one was a mistake. Hind sighting picks is bullshit. 20 other teams passed on Giroux too. The best way to look at things is to compare the percentage of picks Timmins has hit on vs. every other team. The studies have been done and TT is the best in the business by that ranking.

Giroux isn't a czech or finn. He spent the whole year playing in the Habs backyard. That's what makes it worse. Not only did we not see him, but he was drafted by Bobby Clarke and the Flyers. You have to imagine the scout speaking so highly of him and make the Flyers draft a guy that isn't 6-3 with their 1st round pick.

Giroux isn't a czech or finn. He spent the whole year playing in the Habs backyard. That's what makes it worse. Not only did we not see him, but he was drafted by Bobby Clarke and the Flyers. You have to imagine the scout speaking so highly of him and make the Flyers draft a guy that isn't 6-3 with their 1st round pick.

So what that he was in our backyard... we don't have exclusivity over the QMJHL... 30 teams are scouting in the Q. Are the Bruins bad scouting because we took Pacioretty out of the USHL and the New England Area, or did the Leafs ###### up more because we got Subban from Ontario? This is dumb... there are 30 teams and they are all gonna have scouts in every league. We don't get an advantage. But besides all that it was one pick, and yes he should have taken Giroux, but so should have 21 other teams who didn't take him. Every scout makes mistakes, but overall Timmins has a better track record than every other team over the same time period.