Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

That leaves Brisbois, Loiselle, Bergevin, McGuire, Roy, Martin, Giguere as the most probable list of candidates for GM. I think we can also scratch Martin, as Molson will likely want to cut all ties with past management. Of that group, I think the most likely to get the job is Bergevin, who will then hopefully have the smarts to hire someone with experience as an assistant. Any thoughts?

I like Bergevin too of the list of candidates remaining.

However, I'd caution that the list may not be complete. I would bet Patrick Roy is added. I'd also wonder if some current GMs are added, I could see a guy like Doug Wilson getting the boot in San Jose and he might be someone who they want to interview.

I like Bergevin too of the list of candidates remaining.

However, I'd caution that the list may not be complete. I would bet Patrick Roy is added. I'd also wonder if some current GMs are added, I could see a guy like Doug Wilson getting the boot in San Jose and he might be someone who they want to interview.

Wilson? Really? He speaks French?

No one has answered the question. He was born and raised in Ottawa though, so its certainly possible.

Well, if so, he would be a terrific candidate. I know it's easy to blame him for failing to turn that team into a Cup-winner, but he certainly did an impressive job in building it up to a point where not winning the Cup became an unacceptable outcome. He's got enough experience that nothing in Montreal would faze him and I like his willingness to make bold moves.

As long as we don't go off the chart and hire a McGuire, though, anyone on the list is probably going to do a good job.

I'm pulling for Patrick or BriseBois, but I would love to see McGuire put his money where his mouth is.

Looking past the annoying catch phrases and his loud-mouth personality, I truly believe Pierre knows hockey talent in EVERY league, maybe more so than any other candidate we have up to date.

• Upvote 1

Well, if so, he would be a terrific candidate. I know it's easy to blame him for failing to turn that team into a Cup-winner, but he certainly did an impressive job in building it up to a point where not winning the Cup became an unacceptable outcome. He's got enough experience that nothing in Montreal would faze him and I like his willingness to make bold moves.

As long as we don't go off the chart and hire a McGuire, though, anyone on the list is probably going to do a good job.

What about Montreal pulling a deal to lure a guy like Dave Tallon.

• Upvote 1

So... should we expect this announcement in the coming days?

We have to wait that the Québec Remparts are eliminated from the QJMHL playoffs. Then they will be able to interview Roy. I'm presuming they can't name the next GM without meeting Roy (whether or not he is selected for the job), and Roy said he's focusing on his team until the end of the season..

I'm pulling for Patrick or BriseBois, but I would love to see McGuire put his money where his mouth is.

Looking past the annoying catch phrases and his loud-mouth personality, I truly believe Pierre knows hockey talent in EVERY league, maybe more so than any other candidate we have up to date.

Agreed.

I know there are many of you here who don't like Pierre McGuire, but you can't deny the fact that he knows his shit! I'd also lie to see what he could do as a G.M.!

I would also like to see Julien Brisebois, this guy is awesome with numbers and Steve Yzerman has praised him over the past couple of years.

As far as patrick roy is concerned, I loved him as a player, in fact he is my all time favorite hab, however I don't think King Patrick has the right personnality to be the coach or G.M. of the Habs.

I would also like to see Julien Brisebois, this guy is awesome with numbers and Steve Yzerman has praised him over the past couple of years.

Actually, his history with the Habs shows the exact opposite. The Habs this season still had a cap charge that could be linked back to his mistakes (even though he wasn't with the team last year).

I know there are many of you here who don't like Pierre McGuire, but you can't deny the fact that he knows his shit! I'd also lie to see what he could do as a G.M.!

I would also like to see what he could do as a GM... in Toronto... because it will be awful.

I would also like to see what he could do as a GM... in Toronto... because it will be awful.

Exact. It's not because you know all NHL players that you would make a great GM. The job definition of a GM surely requires outstanding hockey knowledge, but it's much more than that. It also requires leadership & communication skills, administrative &management skills and strong negociation skills among other things.

What about Montreal pulling a deal to lure a guy like Dave Tallon.

Tallon was my choice when I started this thread. But you'd obviously have to ask, why would they let him go? To me the only reason would be if he really wanted to come back to Montreal and he went and asked to be released, almost as a favour. I don't know if that has ever happened before, but I think he'd actually be the best choice of everyone we have on our list.

Tallon was my choice when I started this thread. But you'd obviously have to ask, why would they let him go? To me the only reason would be if he really wanted to come back to Montreal and he went and asked to be released, almost as a favour. I don't know if that has ever happened before, but I think he'd actually be the best choice of everyone we have on our list.

Best choice... but no way he is leaving Florida.

Ron Hextall will be a candidate too according to reports, he and Robitaille can't be talked too until after they're eliminated though.

Oh yes! Can we please have Hextall as gm and Roy as coach! SO MUCH GOALTENDING FURY!