Australian club team signs NHL Superstar

OK, so Steve McKenna isn't exactly a superstar, but he's still an NHLer. And this is a big thing for us. Club hockey will never be the same (at least Down Under)

"The Adelaide Avalanche Ice Hockey Club are pleased to announce the biggest signing in their six-year history after they agreed terms earlier in the week with National Hockey League (NHL) player and current Pittsburgh Penguins Assistant Captain Steve McKenna.

The 6’8 and 118 kg native of Toronto, Canada will fly into Adelaide early next week and join up with his Avalanche teammates for the current Australian Ice Hockey League season.

McKenna will skate with the Avalanche next week and make his Avalanche debut in Canberra against the Canberra Knights on Saturday 14th May. "

Awesome that it's in my home town. Not so awesome that it's against my home team. Good luck to him, glad to see an NHLer making a move to the southern hemisphere.

Wow thats pretty cool I guess, too bad its Steve McKenna though... ;) , oh well you got to start somewhere... First Steve McKenna, maybe the next to sign in Australia will be... Cory Cross!! ;)

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

They have hockey in Australia?

Apparently so. I've been wanting to visit/live in Australia and now that I see I might be able to lace up the skates down there I'm sold. Australia here I come.

I'm liking the name drop in your location Leafs Suck "Rick Nash's hometown" :lol: