Rebuild or Retool

Willey101

Was not comparing them. But it's the same discourse we had with Komi and Higgins. Just to say time flies, evaluations change, players get traded.

Sure evaluations can change... they can get better or they can get worse. There may be a time that it makes sense to trade any of the three.

But right now... this offseason... those three are near untouchable. You don't move them unless someone is offering you something crazy like a proven superstar ala Stamkos.

Its not about never, its about should not happen. Plus weren't those money deals?

Gretzky to Los Angeles was a money deal. Pock needed the cash. Gretzky to the Blues was because Gretzky was unhappy in Los Angeles. Edmonton got a terrible return for Gretzky when it was all said and done, same with Los Angeles. There was once a rumour that out of all of the teams making offers for Gretzky, Detroit had the best offer but didn't have the best money proposal. Yzerman, Oates and Murphy were all supposed to be a part of the deal plus draft picks. Had Gretzky gone to the Wings, Edmonton would have likely held a dynasty for another five years.

That's sort of the point. When we claim that a Price, Pacioretty or Subban are untouchable we're not saying they cannot be traded under any circumstances. It's just the Canadiens are bound to regret it. Even if we were upgrading to a better forward or defenceman I'd be cautious as that was the point of the Mark Recchi trade. If you compared it to todays players ignoring cap we got Ilya Kovalchuk for P.K. Subban, Lars Eller and Petteri Nokelainen (had trouble figuring out a Dionne here). And sure, Recchi was great for us but he wasn't what we expected either and was gone for less than what we gave up in three seasons.

In Stephen Brunt's book "Gretzky's tears" he says that Gretzky was never shopped around the league... the deal was between Pocklington and McNall who were buddies and that no other offers were made.

Sather didn't even know what was going on until Pocklington said... we're trading him to LA.. now pick 3 players you want off this list.

In Stephen Brunt's book "Gretzky's tears" he says that Gretzky was never shopped around the league... the deal was between Pocklington and McNall who were buddies and that no other offers were made.

Walter Gretzky knew that Wayne was being shopped but Sather had no knowledge of it. Walter was the one who told Wayne there were around six teams bidding for him. Mike Illitch is reported to be the one who told Pock that he couldn't meet his money offer but could meet him on any trade offer. That's where Yzerman/Murphy/Oates come from.

Walter Gretzky knew that Wayne was being shopped but Sather had no knowledge of it. Walter was the one who told Wayne there were around six teams bidding for him. Mike Illitch is reported to be the one who told Pock that he couldn't meet his money offer but could meet him on any trade offer. That's where Yzerman/Murphy/Oates come from.

Again, Brunt's book here.... Walter says he looked at the business decision and figured Pocklington was shopping him, but didn't know for sure that he was shopped. That's Brunt.

He also says the two teams that Pock talked to were Vancouver (in like 1985)... Jerry Buss of the LA Kings (in 1985) and then McNall for all of 1987 and 1988.

Gretzky knew he was gonna be traded when Pocklington told him to go meet with McNall.

We're going to go in circles but Brunt's but is contradicted by Reilly's.

I think everyone gets the point that anyone can be moved. I think they also get the point that when you move high profile assets there is risk and there may be regret. The reason the Great One was moved is irrelevant. Anytime you are talking about players that have come up through your own system, there is an natural attachment to them; especially if they are having some degree of success. I don't know if you would say ownership, but I think you could say something along the lines of bring up your own son, that type of feeling. I think ownership knows that it would be risky to move any of the three without a whole lot coming back.

You mean "please don't touch Markov, opposing players!"?

both ways works for me, I would really appreciate it if oposing players would leave markov alone so he can play his game :hyper:

I see alot of don't trade Price,Subban or Patches but really nobody answered my initial question. I am guessing you therefore think a re-tool using our key components is the way to go?

I see alot of don't trade Price,Subban or Patches but really nobody answered my initial question. I am guessing you therefore think a re-tool using our key components is the way to go?

I think we don't need to "rebuild" when the core is young and promising, neither "retool" when we don't have players that are trade assets. I'd guess the right term, and I think Bergevin/Molson pointed to it in the press conference, is "building", as in building a house, and Bergevin referred to Price as the building block/centerpiece (BTW, way to go to say that right before contract negotiation lol)