Marc Bergevin, new Habs GM

sakiqc

According to the Chicago Tribune

By Chris Kuc

Tribune reporter

1:16 a.m. CDT, May 2, 2012

The Montreal Canadiens have selected Marc Bergevin as their new general manager, according to a source.

Bergevin served as assistant GM for the Blackhawks under Stan Bowman during the 2011-12 season. The 46-year-old Montreal native will replace the fired Pierre Gauthier.

Bergevin spent seven seasons in the Hawks' front office, the last as assistant to Bowman after being named to the position June 15, 2011. A former Hawks defenseman and one of the NHL's all-time pranksters, Bergevin also held various other positions with the team, including Director of Player Personnel and assistant coach to Joel Quenneville. He played 20 seasons in the NHL, including the first four-plus with the Hawks.

It's the second consecutive season the Hawks have seen their assistant GM land a top job elsewhere as the Winnipeg Jets hired Kevin Cheveldayoff as their GM following the '10-11 season.

http://www.chicagotr...0,2786635.story

There were report that Bergevin was in Montréal last night. If Bergevin was hired then, how could the Chicago Tribune be aware of the result before the Habs medias? I'm sure Bergevin didn't told the Chicago Tribune, neither would it make sense for someone in the Habs organization to do so.

But news spread fast in these days and age..

Bergevin was sure in the top 3 candidates left. If the newspapers/source made a mistake I would expect a denial from the Habs early this morning. This is already a circus with Bergevin's name trending worldwide lol

There were report that Bergevin was in Montréal last night. If Bergevin was hired then, how could the Chicago Tribune be aware of the result before the Habs medias? I'm sure Bergevin didn't told the Chicago Tribune, neither would it make sense for someone in the Habs organization to do so.

Even with Gauthier gone, information is still more likely to leak from Chicago than Montreal, no?

Even with Gauthier gone, information is still more likely to leak from Chicago than Montreal, no?

Well, to me, just shows that our supposedly omnipresent medias are, in fact, generally out of touch, and merely commenting from the studio. The scoop we had tonight was from Mario Tremblay, saying Risebrough was out of contention because he doesn't speak french. What a scoop !

Nice article on Bergevin from last December. Worth copy& pasting here:

Bergevin carving out 2nd career with Hawks

Longtime defenseman using his connections as assistant to GM Bowman

December 22, 2011|By Chris Kuc, Chicago Tribune reporter

Marc Bergevin's pranks these days are mostly reserved for flight attendants and those who occupy the Blackhawks' back offices at the United Center.

During a playing career that spanned 20 seasons — including four-plus with the Hawks — Bergevin became known simultaneously as a solid defenseman and one of the NHL's all-time great jokesters.

In this next phase of his life, Bergevin is showing there's substance behind the laughter as he carves out an executive career path as the Hawks' assistant general manager.

"Once in a while I'll crack a joke, but I stay away from that mostly," said Bergevin, who has been GM Stan Bowman's assistant since Kevin Cheveldayoff left in June to become GM of the Jets. "It's not a big part of my life anymore. In the office, I like to joke around with the people up there, trying to keep things loose. In that regard I haven't changed."

He spends most of his time now helping the Hawks maintain their high level of play and ensure that the future remains bright. Bergevin is the yin to Bowman's yang as they work in concert to keep the pipeline of prospects flowing while always on the lookout for players to help the cause.

"As a GM, Stan has a lot on his plate, so what I do is take some off his load," Bergevin, 46, said. "There are a lot of day-to-day operations with the team, and it's a hard job to do for one guy. We're different personalities, but we complement each other."

Bowman's personality is one of quiet intensity, while the more gregarious Bergevin brings the experience of a former player who plied his trade with eight organizations. The relationships Bergevin developed throughout his playing career might be his biggest asset.

"I have a relationship with everybody," Bergevin said. "When you get traded and you move, it's hard on you and your family, but looking back now, it really helped me down the road. We're in the business of relations with people, and I've built good ones over the years."

That came in handy during free agency when the Hawks looked to bring in new pieces around their core players, a season removed from winning the Stanley Cup.

"He's got tons of connections," Bowman said. "He's the kind of guy on a team that people would gravitate toward. You play that out over a 20-year career, and he's got so many different connections he can draw upon."

Added Hawks President John McDonough: "(Bergevin) has the ability to within an hour connect with three or four people that maybe before we would have ultimately connected with … but he has the ability to do it quicker. And because of who it is, people get back to him immediately and it helps us in the decision-making process."

After his retirement as a player in 2004, Bergevin became a pro scout with the Hawks, then served as an assistant coach before heading upstairs. He was director of player personnel when the Hawks won the Stanley Cup, an event that brought him to tears.

"To me it was a dream," he said. "As a player I never got a chance to raise the Cup. I got really emotional."

Bergevin hopes to continue on this path and someday run his own team.

"I have a ways to go and I'm learning every day," he said. "If that will come in five or 10 years, there's no timeframe for me as long as I know I'm learning. Stan appreciates my work, and that's all that matters."

Bergevin also keeps things light around the offices adjacent to his, which include those of McDonough, Bowman and Executive Vice President Jay Blunk.

The pranks aren't nearly as elaborate as Bergevin's most famous, which he pulled off while playing for the Blues. He worked with a St. Louis newspaper reporter to concoct a fake story that put Blues GM Larry Pleau in a bad light. Bergevin had the story inserted into the team's daily clippings, and after Pleau read it, he angrily confronted the reporter before Bergevin revealed he was the culprit.

With his heavy French accent, Bergevin now targets the Hawks' office staff.

"The beauty of it is we can probably understand about 70 percent of what he's saying," McDonough said with a laugh. "So it's challenging once in a while, but you laugh as you're trying to understand it."

http://articles.chic...-gm-stan-bowman

bold are mine for emphasis.

promising. wishing him best luck!

Oh, and I think John McDonough doesn't know what a Blackberry is, lol!

I also heard Pierre McGuire this morning on the radio, he said he had just hung up from talking with Geoff Molson 20 minutes earlier. He was very complimentary about the way Montreal handled the process. He spoke highly of the people involved in the interview process. He said he thought Montreal had a number of the key needed pieces already in place and with the right tweaking it could be turned around, he thought, fairly quickly.

Interestingly the one area he pointed out as needing immediate fixing was our pro-scouting department. He said that was a very important area that needed to be changed and fixed. When you look back over the past few years and see trades for Gomez, Kaberle and Bourke, to name just a few, it isn't hard to understand that may be the first place to start making changes? So thererfore, who is head of our pro-scouting?

First, thank God it wasn't that blatherskite McGuire.

This is clearly a solid, professional choice, a good sign that our owner is not going to run the operation like a private club for him and his pals. Reminds me of the André Savard hiring: they seem to have similar profile, with a background from playing to coaching to scouting and administration, both having established themselves as relatively young managerial hotshots before making the Big Jump. Good that he has experience in pro scouting, too, because McGuire is right about that as a huge organizational question mark.

I'd have liked someone with more experience, admittedly. But what I really like are the comments about his personality: you hear things like 'natural leader,' 'someone people gravitate towards,' that he has extensive connection, etc.. These are promising characteristics.

Plus he looks like a badass. :B)

I look forward to the press conference and trying to get a feel for the forthcoming direction. His choice of help and - most of all - the new coach will tell us much about how we're shaping up

I'm curious as to the plan for an assistant GM, will they keep Carriere or bring someone else in? Or bring someone else in and keep Carriere? Bergevin was my preference of the final 3 (McGuire was runner up by the way) but he needs a veteran assistant.

Safe pick. It seem he is highly regarded amongst his peers and that's always a good sign.

Question now becomes what kind of coach might he want to put behind the bench? Still hoping Vingault gets fired but with each passing day tr seems less likely. I think the chance Roy comes in is also minimized with Bergevin's hiring.

Two young, inexperienced ex-players at the helm of the hockey world's most storied and demanding franchise might come with growing pains. Also Roy's A-male demeanor might not be something Bergevin's wants to deal with. If he does go with Roy though he proves to everyone that he is not scared of putting a possible successor on his staff.

First, thank God it wasn't that blatherskite McGuire.

This is clearly a solid, professional choice, a good sign that our owner is not going to run the operation like a private club for him and his pals. Reminds me of the André Savard hiring: they seem to have similar profile, with a background from playing to coaching to scouting and administration, both having established themselves as relatively young managerial hotshots before making the Big Jump. Good that he has experience in pro scouting, too, because McGuire is right about that as a huge organizational question mark.

I'd have liked someone with more experience, admittedly. But what I really like are the comments about his personality: you hear things like 'natural leader,' 'someone people gravitate towards,' that he has extensive connection, etc.. These are promising characteristics.

Plus he looks like a badass. :B)

I look forward to the press conference and trying to get a feel for the forthcoming direction. His choice of help and - most of all - the new coach will tell us much about how we're shaping up

Aren't we all. Congratulations to MB. It will be interesting what personnel he surrounds himself with, at the coaching level and managerial level. Apparently he is well connected. My first hope would be that he is more open to discussing what is happening in the organization. I think that alone would save him a lot of grief.

I'm hearing that Rick Dudley may be brought in as an AGM, or similar role here. Good friends with Bergevin apparently.

They are also going to need a cap guy.

And a coach.

The Dudley rumour keeps popping up. I don't see him as some genius, but he seems OK. I wouldn't be in any great hurry to expel Larry Carriere from the organization, BTW.

And presumably Serge Savard will still be hanging around in some capacity. Which, provided he's merely an advisor rather than the man behind the curtain - or someone who will undermine the GM with the owner - is a good thing.

Any speculation on coaching choices? Naturally, I've seen Denis Savard's name arise, an obvious bit of internet spitballing given the Chi-town connection. But does Bergevin have any clear prior link with obvious candidates like Crawford, Roy, or Hartley?

I'm hearing that Rick Dudley may be brought in as an AGM, or similar role here. Good friends with Bergevin apparently.

They are also going to need a cap guy.

And a coach.

I'd go with Peter Brand as the cap guy... ;)

Or Jonah Hill... hahaha

But does Bergevin have any clear prior link with obvious candidates like Crawford, Roy, or Hartley?

Crawford coached him in Vancouver just before Bergevin retired. Only 9 games played, but they know each other...

I don't know much about MB, but i'll give him a chance. I was happy to see they didn't get an old hab retread. The team needs a new direction, it will be interesting to see what MB philosophy actually is. What kind of team and coaching staff he puts together.

I can't wait to watch McGuire and his unbiased reporting on the habs now. Spurned twice. :rofl:

I will give the new guy a chance. It won't be long before we see some key decisions (coach, draft, Gomez, etc).

I can't wait to watch McGuire and his unbiased reporting on the habs now. Spurned twice. :rofl:

I will give the new guy a chance. It won't be long before we see some key decisions (coach, draft, Gomez, etc).

Haha yeah, although I am sure he is honoured to have been considered that far in the process. Bodes well for him in the future. I don't know if his personal relation with Geoff Molson will change from now on, but one thing is sure, Molson didn't "pick his friend" and he seems to have done a real good job in that process.

McGuire was on TSN 1050 this morning, and he sounded like a guy who just received crushing news. He was very subdued and depressed. Of course he told the host that he had spoken to Geoff Molson just 20 minutes before his segment and that he just learned he wasn't getting the job.

McGuire was on TSN 1050 this morning, and he sounded like a guy who just received crushing news. He was very subdued and depressed. Of course he told the host that he had spoken to Geoff Molson just 20 minutes before his segment and that he just learned he wasn't getting the job.

Must also be tough not having the scoop on your own story.