Marc Bergevin, new Habs GM

sakiqc

Just curious if anyone knows what Bergevin's involvement was with Amateur scouting with the Blackhawks? They have been absolutely dreadful with this since 2006.

Just curious if anyone knows what Bergevin's involvement was with Amateur scouting with the Blackhawks? They have been absolutely dreadful with this since 2006.

Zero. He has been a pro scout, assistant coach, director of player personnel and assistant GM. Any involvement would have been merely opinion and not a part of a job position.

Well, even though I was really curious to see what Pierre McGuire could've done, I like the hiring of Marc Bergevin. I think he's got the right personality to be the GM in Montreal. Already I like the fact that he said that Trevor Timmins will stay as head of scouting...good decision!

Now let's see what he'll do about the coach and about Gomez...

Man, I don't think I want anyone in the Leafs organization over here. Since when do they instill a culture of winning?

My thoughts exactly :/

Not a big fan of this one.

I think Dudley's just a recent acqusition of the leafs. Wasn't he part of the Thrashers' organization before they moved to the Peg? At the very least, he's only been part of that losing culture for a single year :blush:

Does that beg the question - what role will Carriere have now? Or is there enough work to justify two assistant GMs?

<p>

I think Dudley's just a recent acqusition of the leafs. Wasn't he part of the Thrashers' organization before they moved to the Peg? At the very least, he's only been part of that losing culture for a single year :blush:

Does that beg the question - what role will Carriere have now? Or is there enough work to justify two assistant GMs?

One of them will end up director of player personnel or pro scouting or player development. Habs have been understaffed lately.

One of them will end up director of player personnel or pro scouting or player development. Habs have been understaffed lately.

So then Timmins goes back to single-duty on amateur scounting and 'procurement'? I think he is also amateur player development director right now with running the rookie and prospect training camps, per the Habs website.

Of course there's probably a few things that'll get shaken up while Bergevin puts his structure in place...

Bergevin has already said that he wants Timmins to remain in scouting, but he thinks their needs to be a second guy doing player development, and thinks he's doing too many jobs.

I don't think Burke is being unreasonable. Dudley obviously knows how Burke will draft, and giving that information to Montreal is a bad idea. If Montreal knew who Toronto wanted 2 picks behind them, it could drastically alter Montreal's draft strategy. It doesn't mean that it will and it probably won't amount to anything either way, but there's just no reason to hand that information over so why do it? Anyways, having Dudley at the draft or not probably won't effect our strategy, as Timmins clearly knows what he's doing and I suspect Bergevin is smart enough to listen. The whole thing is a non-issue.

Man, I don't think I want anyone in the Leafs organization over here. Since when do they instill a culture of winning?

He's been with the Leafs for less than a calendar year, I wouldn't worry about their culture affecting him too much. Dudley also has experience in a winning culture back with Chicago in 2010.

Darren Dreger is reporting that Rick Dudley will be named Assistant GM. As he has done a lot of work for the Leafs on their draft philosophy, they may not let him go until after the draft though.

http://twitter.com/D...188864810754050

Since he knows well every player in the Toronto organization, they may not let him go until after everyone retires

Since he knows well every player in the Toronto organization, they may not let him go until after everyone retires

There's a difference between giving scouting reports on players versus inside information on a rival's draft strategy especially when the teams are picking so closely together. I think Toronto is well within their right to request this and I'm sure most Hab fans would want the same if they were in the same boat.

There's a difference between giving scouting reports on players versus inside information on a rival's draft strategy especially when the teams are picking so closely together. I think Toronto is well within their right to request this and I'm sure most Hab fans would want the same if they were in the same boat.

Yes, I fully understand why Burke wants this. But we're hiring Dudley to help and one of his important skills is evaluation of amateur talent. He could be very useful to us during the draft. Since the league has no rule about this I think Bergevin should try to get Dudley here before the draft.

Yes, I fully understand why Burke wants this. But we're hiring Dudley to help and one of his important skills is evaluation of amateur talent. He could be very useful to us during the draft. Since the league has no rule about this I think Bergevin should try to get Dudley here before the draft.

There is an out clause in his deal. I don't know the specifics but a lot of those are permitted over a certain period of time (between x date to x date each year). If the Leafs were smart, they'd have put the terms of the out clause after the draft in case of a situation like this happening. In that case, the Leafs would be holding him to the terms of the contract; the fact there is a negotiation of sorts despite no compensation existing for executive transfers suggests there has to be something like this in play.

Dudley "is said" to be pro-scout/player development guy and very good at that and not amateurs scouting per say.