Report: Scott Gomez's contract to be bought out!

REV-G

I heard this morning that according to Sportnet's Louis Jean, the Montreal Canadiens will buyout Scott Gomez's contract. There has obviously been lots of discussion over what we would do with Gomez. The viable options seemed to be to either buy him out or send him to the AHL. Any other info on this??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A buyout isn't that viable under the current arrangement as the Habs will see only marginal savings with it being frontloaded. I'm hoping the TVA report (where this came from) isn't true.

A buyout isn't that viable under the current arrangement as the Habs will see only marginal savings with it being frontloaded. I'm hoping the TVA report (where this came from) isn't true.

What constitutes 'marginal savings' here? Wouldn't a buyout save Molson over $3 million?

That's what I don't grasp about Bob Mackenzie calling for the firing of whoever decides to buy out Gomer Pyle rather than bury him in the minors. The owner needs to agree to bury a guy; and if he doesn't agree to eat millions, what other choice do we have?

I don't understand the logic over why we would buy him out and keep a large hit on our cap for a number of years instead of freeing up that money by sending him to Hamilton. Why pay someone to not play for us while at the same time hinder our ability to sign other players by not having that money available. Why not send him to Hamilton and, while we'd be overpaying him, let him play for us down there.

Question: What is the advantage for us to buying him out versus sending him to Hamilton???

I don't understand the logic over why we would buy him out and keep a large hit on our cap for a number of years instead of freeing up that money by sending him to Hamilton. Why pay someone to not play for us while at the same time hinder our ability to sign other players by not having that money available. Why not send him to Hamilton and, while we'd be overpaying him, let him play for us down there.

Question: What is the advantage for us to buying him out versus sending him to Hamilton???

I'd rephrase the question: what is the advantage to Molson of either option?

3.33 million dollars to Geoff Molson.

could sending him out to Europe be an option? Kinda like what the Hawks did with Huet?

could sending him out to Europe be an option? Kinda like what the Hawks did with Huet?

If Gomez agrees to go, yes. Of course you'd have to pay him, (minus whatever the euro club gives you for his services).

If Gomez agrees to go, yes. Of course you'd have to pay him, (minus whatever the euro club gives you for his services).

Which is what will likely happen. Gomez on Olympic ice would likely be an asset to many teams.

We'd be paying $10M over the next two seasons minus what a European club gives. That would be less than a buyout.

I wouldn't do anything until the NHL decides on what it's doing. There may be a "free" buy out period like the last cba.

I agree we should wait. But here's the problem. Buyouts are only allowed between June 15-29th of each year.. .plus an additional buyout period after arbitration if you have an arbitration case scheduled (not necessarily heard, just scheduled).

The new CBA would take effect Sept 15 at the earliest. If the timings on buyouts remain the same and there is no amnesty, you have lost the opportunity to use the regular buyout option.

Gotcha, that would be a risk. 1 year in the minors would still be better then a buyout mistake IMO.

Commandant, since you know alot, don't the habs have about 18 mill of cap space and Price, Subban, Eller, Moen to sign? Oh and Staubitz. I liked what he brought to the team.

What constitutes 'marginal savings' here? Wouldn't a buyout save Molson over $3 million?

That's what I don't grasp about Bob Mackenzie calling for the firing of whoever decides to buy out Gomer Pyle rather than bury him in the minors. The owner needs to agree to bury a guy; and if he doesn't agree to eat millions, what other choice do we have?

In real money, yes there are savings. If you add up the cap hits that would be charged to the Habs over the 4 years of said buyout, it actually will exceed the $10 million owed to him. Having that much sitting on the cap offsets the $ savings to a degree for a cap spending team. As to another option, there are re-entry waivers. A floor team might take a gamble paying him $2.75 M and $2.5 M over the next two years with a cap hit of ~$3.65 M. The Habs would yield more or less the same cap savings without the extra two years tacked on in the end while spending less money than in a buyout.

Molson basically said he would agree to do whatever the team needs to do to win. If Bergevin said we need Gomez in the AHL or Europe to win, Molson would abide.

What we still need to wait for is the new CBA which could still have that 100 per cent buyout available.

Cant see why Gomez would like to go to Europe for the rest of his contract when he most likely would get a deal with another NHL-team if he gets bought out.

Cant see why Gomez would like to go to Europe for the rest of his contract when he most likely would get a deal with another NHL-team if he gets bought out.

With Bergevin's connections I could see him finding out what GMs want Gomez but just not at his price. He could likely find a way to get one to take him on re-entry waivers. That would be the best case scenario for everyone.

Bergevin has also said before that his own strengths are in talent evaluation, and not in Cap related matters. He said that he's learning it, but if he got a GM job he'd look for a capologist to assist him. I can't see him deciding that a buyout is the best thing for Gomez today, without first consulting with a cap guy.

Bergevin has also said before that his own strengths are in talent evaluation, and not in Cap related matters. He said that he's learning it, but if he got a GM job he'd look for a capologist to assist him. I can't see him deciding that a buyout is the best thing for Gomez today, without first consulting with a cap guy.

Exactly. I would imagine the Gomez decision won't be made this quickly. I'm sure he wants to hire some staff and focus on the draft first and foremost.

Edited by EMELINATOR

The timing of this report suggests that it is bogus, as much as we would all like to see that contract gone. Maybe Gomez will do the honourable thing and retire.

he told the Gazette yesterday he was already in the Gym. I'm ready to see the Habs give him another chance. Let's remember he was good in preseason last year before it collapsed early in the season with bad luck and injuries. With a new spirit, atmosphere arround the team the setting will be ideal for him to have a fresh start. Let's also not forget he is a worldclass professional athlete, a stanley cup winner and one of the players with the best vision and playmaking ability in the league. He's still only 32. And finally, we thought last summer that it couldn't be worse than the year before. Well, it was. But now, seriously, it can't be worse than worse, can it??

He had his last chance, it didn't work.

7 million is far too much to take a chance he'll regain his old form when we are short at least one top 4 defencemen, and one top 6 winger.

He had his last chance, it didn't work.

7 million is far too much to take a chance he'll regain his old form when we are short at least one top 4 defencemen, and one top 6 winger.

Confidence has a lot to do with success. Marc and the new coach's approach will allow him to have a fresh start mentally. He has not mysteriously lost all his abilities. There's not many centers in the league with 2 stanley cups. And he's only 32. Maybe it's my love for underdogs, but I'll cheer for him to rebound, not to see him buried. I can see him succesful on a strong 2-ways 3rd line with time on the 2nd PP wave.

he told the Gazette yesterday he was already in the Gym. I'm ready to see the Habs give him another chance. Let's remember he was good in preseason last year before it collapsed early in the season with bad luck and injuries. With a new spirit, atmosphere arround the team the setting will be ideal for him to have a fresh start. Let's also not forget he is a worldclass professional athlete, a stanley cup winner and one of the players with the best vision and playmaking ability in the league. He's still only 32. And finally, we thought last summer that it couldn't be worse than the year before. Well, it was. But now, seriously, it can't be worse than worse, can it??

I like the way you think... and it's only 7 million.

I can't keep from thinking that he's a classy guy and a very good hockey player who got bit by a 10 meter anaconda.

I'd like to see him start. He's got to be feeling like he's under a boulder.

Go Gomez go!

If anything, he could fill a great leadership role with the :Bulldogs: given the amount of fresh blood coming in this upcoming season. :blush: I still think there's more to him and that he would dominate the sheeit out of the AHL. Probably wouldn't be a call up given the monster cap hit, but i could see him providing some good experience to those kids - given he reports and plays good sport like Wade Redden.

Odds are against him that he's back next year. The gym comment sounded kinda desperate.