Who will it be part 2? The coaching question.

Commandant

It has been years... what is Crawford on the line for now?

Steve Moore's civil suit is still working its way through our exceptionally slow court system.

This will be the trial of that case.

A case like this, with a ton of medical experts on both sides takes a lot of time.

If its a civil suit, it really has no legal bearings, other than it could cost Crawford quite a bit of money, so I wouldn't stop me from hiring him, if he was the right man for the job.

If its a civil suit, it really has no legal bearings, other than it could cost Crawford quite a bit of money, so I wouldn't stop me from hiring him, if he was the right man for the job.

He won't go to jail, but it will be a distraction for sure - moreso in Montreal than in many other markets, if that's possible. I'd still probably make him my favourite from among the list of 'plausible' candidates, but would definitely grill him about how he plans to balance his coaching duties with his wee legal problems. Traditionally, though, the Habs would steer clear of a guy with that kind of cloud over him even if he is the best candidate, and it wouldn't surprise me to see that happen here.

The issue is the distraction it will cause for the team, not the "legal issues"...

This thing is going to be a media circus, and Montreal by its very nature creates enough of a media circus on its own, without adding more fuel to the fire, right at the start of the season.

I have a feeling Bob Hartley is going to be our guy.

The more I have learned about him, the more I would be comfortable if he was named the coach.

I wonder if Big Bird can handle the pressure. I know Del Frisco's would love him back

I guess, based on the results of the coaching poll which didn't seem to have any one coach way out in front [other than Robinson], that we will ultimately have to trust in the knowledge and skills of our new GM and his team to bring together the right coach, assistant coaches, players and scouts, and to draft the right players and make the changes to the team during the free agency period so whenever the new CBA is agreed upon we will have the team that will make the playoffs and be a contender.

I personally feel very confident that we have a very good, maybe excellent, management team that will build a strong contender with some great players coming up, including this years draft picks. I think we have a very bright future with Geoff Molson, Serge Savard, Marc Bergevin and the team of assistants and players they will put in place.

It's a rumour but according to this site, Roy is out of the running for head coach. At this point, all the rumblings have had one name in common as a contender, Bob Hartley. The Habs won't name their coach during the SCF so we'll either get something concrete in the next three days or we'll be waiting until around mid-June.

It's a rumour but according to this site, Roy is out of the running for head coach. At this point, all the rumblings have had one name in common as a contender, Bob Hartley. The Habs won't name their coach during the SCF so we'll either get something concrete in the next three days or we'll be waiting until around mid-June.

I don't believe he is the right choice but I'll accept it.

Interesting that the Capitals reached out to Roy.

So is it really a done deal,is Hartley the man? Its really beginning to look that way, guess we'll find out within a few weeks, or maybe a few days.

So is it really a done deal,is Hartley the man? Its really beginning to look that way, guess we'll find out within a few weeks, or maybe a few days.

The primary sources claiming it's done are independent bloggers, the more reputable sites are basing their reports on these. Doesn't mean they're not right either but I don't think it's fair to suggest this is for sure happening.

Usually when there are this many people reporting that Hartley is the guy, he likely is the guy. My guess is that Tuesday there will be an announcement. I personally think out of all the candidates Bob is the best choice and the best qualified. I really like this choice.

Usually when there are this many people reporting that Hartley is the guy, he likely is the guy. My guess is that Tuesday there will be an announcement. I personally think out of all the candidates Bob is the best choice and the best qualified. I really like this choice.

Why? Explain.

I never much liked Hartley's style and regard Crawford as the best candidate. But you have to give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt at this point. And I'd be interested to read a sustained defence of Hartley. Is he known as a good communicator? Is he open to feedback and input from his players? Do his teams play the kind of up-tempo game fans claim to be dying for? Does he get along with his stars, or are we going to be in for another round of blood-letting?

Anyhow, if Hartley is chosen, it'll be the third hot rumour in succession that has rapidly been proven correct under the new regime. The Cone of Silence is clearly shattered.

But you have to give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Oh for sure. I have high doubts about Hartley but I feel Bergevin is trying to select the best candidate out of a shallow pool of candidates. Hartley has some knocks on him that are clear and apparent but who knows how good of a coach he'll be with THIS team until we see it.

Why? Explain.

When I look at Harley's record I think he has the best track record of any of the other candidates that we've talked about and it seems to me that he has had good success with his coaching style at every level.

In his first coaching experience with a junior team in Hawkesbury he won a championship.

He moved up to coach the Laval Tiatans and won a berth in the Memorial cup.

In the AHL he won two divisional titles and then went on to win the Calder Cup Championship in 1997.

He won a Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 2001.

In 2006-7 he coached the Atlanta Thrashers to qualify for their first playoff appearance in team history.

Then this past year he evidently led his team in Europe to another championship.

He also speaks both languages fluently.

That's pretty impressive and consistant over quite a few years.

So IMO I believe that if you are an NHL coach and have had longevity of the kind Hartley has, that in itself says something about your ability when you consider how many "coaches in waiting" there are waiting for a chance to take your spot. Clearly Bob Hartley is a very good, qualified and successful coach.

Secondly, when you win championships and titles at virtually every level you've coached at, that has to be a testimony to your ability to coach. It's one thing to coach teenagers at the junior level and then quite another to coach millionaires in the NHL and win with them.

And I don't think any of the other candidates have quite that successful a resume. So that is why I think Hartley is the best choice to be our next head coach.

However with all the talk going on about who our next coach will be I am a little surprised that over the last week or so, with a few names seemlngly on the short list, there seems to have been no mention, or very little, of Marc Crawford. Kind of surprising.

However with all the talk going on about who our next coach will be I am a little surprised that over the last week or so, with a few names seemlngly on the short list, there seems to have been no mention, or very little, of Marc Crawford. Kind of surprising.

Commandant has outlined how Crawford's civil suit could be an unwelcome distraction. I also think I recall Crawford telling someone he was happy working as an analyst right now. Had the civil suit been last year and already in the past, he'd probably be in conversations.

Interesting but useless fact: Crawford is one year younger than Hartley. He truly was a boy wonder back in the mid 90s.

To my mind, Crawford has an almost unparalleled record in terms of extreme successes and failures that prepares him perfectly for the most extreme market in the game. He has been very public about wanting to get back into coaching and about his desire for the Habs job in particular. But I'll admit that his civil suit would be a mark against him and I can see the Habs steering clear for that reason. We emphatically and resolutely do NOT need any more chaos. Much as I like him, I can respect the decision to avoid him.

REV-G's nice psot above, plus a Wikipedia search, reveal that Hartley does have a good record and is highly qualified. I think his history is stained by the spectacular flame-out in Atlanta. He started out hot there, turning the team around overnight; then he endured the Heatly-Snyder tragedy; then his team went to the playoffs - all good stuff as far as c.v. goes. But subsequently Don Wadell started 'going for it' and making huge deadline deals, and the team flamed out. He came close to raising Atlanta out of mediocrity but failed, and this seems to have tainted his rep.

Also, he never impressed me or seemed particularly suave or savvy as an analyst. His famous to-do with Brisebois really doesn't speak to the kind of cool-headed professionalism we need around here:

Perhaps this more than anything else got me thinking of him as a clown. Unfair of me, no doubt.

I heard a little nugget listening to Hockeycentral at Noon today. Roy's removal from consideration stems from him wanting too much control over player personnel decisions. This is something a lot of us speculated would be the case but that was the first time I'd heard it from a reputable source.