Habs at the Memorial Cup

dlbalr

Yes, I realize this should probably be in the prospect thread but there's not a whole lot to talk about right now while we await the official appointment of Rick Dudley as Asst. GM (should be next week) and the naming of the coach. The 2012 Memorial Cup kicks off tonight and for the first time in a long time (if not ever) there will be a Hab prospect in every game so there should be lots to talk about. The next 10 days will help give everyone a glimpse of the not-too-distant future as all of the prospects could be turning pro next year (Beaulieu is the only one who hasn't signed).

Here is the schedule/StatTracker: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2805

• Upvote 1

Tinordi is going to be a beast! I'm looking forward to seeing Bournival and Morgan Ellis in the future.

I agree, just dont thnk Shawinigan can compete with the other 3 teams, hope so, but will see in a couple hours how they fare vs Edmonton's big skilled d-core, Curtis Lazar is one super young player to keep eye on.

Yeah, I really can't keep an eye on these guys, junior hockey gets no airplay in the US, i've never even seen a game. There used to be a team in Lewiston, Maine, but they folded a few years ago.

The Lewiston MAINEiacs.

Worst sports franchise name or greatest sports franchise name? I can never decide which.

Tinordi was DOMINANT. I can't remember a single scoring chance for Saint John while he was on the ice. He was out there against the Huberdeau/Coyle line all night too. Notice that the only goals the Sea Dogs got were 2 SHGs with Tinordi on the Bench, and a 5 on 3 goal.

Beaulieu is such a fantastic skater, but he had a rather meh game. He was even for the night, (on the ice for two SHGs for, two ES goals against, and the 5 on 3 PPG for, where he got a second assist). However none of those plays were really created by him offensively, or his fault defensively. Overall it was a quiet night for him, though you really notice his skating. His best play was the end to end rush at the end of the first period, where he got the shot off, but Houser stopped him.

Tonight is London vs Shawinigan, so Bournival and Ellis go up against Tinordi.

Tinordi was DOMINANT. I can't remember a single scoring chance for Saint John while he was on the ice. He was out there against the Huberdeau/Coyle line all night too. Notice that the only goals the Sea Dogs got were 2 SHGs with Tinordi on the Bench, and a 5 on 3 goal.

Beaulieu is such a fantastic skater, but he had a rather meh game. He was even for the night, (on the ice for two SHGs for, two ES goals against, and the 5 on 3 PPG for, where he got a second assist). However none of those plays were really created by him offensively, or his fault defensively. Overall it was a quiet night for him, though you really notice his skating. His best play was the end to end rush at the end of the first period, where he got the shot off, but Houser stopped him.

Tonight is London vs Shawinigan, so Bournival and Ellis go up against Tinordi.

We talk a lot about Ryan McDonaugh this spring, but when I look at Tinordi I am optimistic about our defense going forward. Tinordi is an incredible presence on the ice. Everybody is impressed by his improvement in the last year. I think that it's just the beginning. Give him two years in the NHL and he will be the toughest dude on our blue line.

Talking about Beaulieu I have got the feeling that he will look better playing with NHLers. IMO he will learn pretty fast what kind of plays work and those that don't at the higher level. As for his skating, it doesn't come better -- it's Paul Coffey out there.

Bournival with a goal in the first period for Shawinigan tonight, just after the 5 on 3 PP expired.

Tinordi played almost the entire 2 minutes on the 5 on 3 and was a beast back there.

1-1 after 1

Beaulieu is an amazing skater, so smooth, loves carrying the puck, its going to be a great one-two punch with him and PK in our top 4, our blue line is looking great for the future! Tinordi has made great leaps since his draft year, looking like the huge, shut down d-man we need, a real bruiser, might need a bit more time in the A than Beaulieu, who could see some NHL time as early as next season.

Saint John wins.

I didn't like Beaulieu's game tonight, he's trying to do too much. Trying to do it all himself and has to use his teammates.

Anyways

With all four teams at 1-1… here is what it means.

Every team has at least two games remaining.

Edmonton plays London.

Saint John plays Shawinigan.

The losers of those two games will play in the 3rd place tiebreaker Thursday night.

The winner of those two games will go to the semi-final and final (who goes where will be based on tourney goal differential). Semi Final is Friday, Final on Sunday.

The winner of the Thursday night 3rd place game, will go to the semi final, where they will play the 2-1 team with the worst goal differential.

The winner of the semi final will advance to the final against the 2-1 team with the best goal differential.

I agree with Commandant's thoughts on Beaulieu, much too individualistic for my liking yesterday. Yes, he can skate really well...but a pass works just as well if not better in some instances.

I still see a clone of Subban in Beaulieu, with all the pros as well as cons when he played with Bulls.

He has a long way to go to improve his defense, has taken Subban a couple years and it will for Beaulieu as well, but the kid can really skate, has nice shot and does not lack confidence that is for sure. 1 full year in AHL at least should do wonders for him.

Ellis is almost opposite of Beaulieu and super defensively but will never be a big offensive d-man, better than Gorges but no Subban. Once he bulks up a bit more he should be a soild d-man come 2013-14 and is likely just behind Pateryn in depth chart, who already is NHL size and also a good shot-blocker as well.

Not sure how Bournival's game will translate to pros? May be a dandy 3rd line centre down the road?

Seems most have jumped on Tinordi band wagon and with good reason. If he was used on the PP the team would give up fewer goals,haha.

If he can pack on 5 or 10 lbs he likely wont be in AHL very long before 1st call up, but you can see Charlie Coyle is almost a match for him, as Coyle is NHL size and Tinordi does need to add more strength for sure, as he wont be playing vs any 16 year old kids in AHL and would have his hands full with Stall's, Malkin's and Perry's of the league (but most NHL d-men have trouble with these guys also).

Tinordi is right now projected at 212lbs. I think he can easily play in the NHL with 10lbs more but his ideal weight would be around 240, 245lbs. Adding 10lbs per year is an acceptable course.

Tinrodi says he is now 220, but he still looks very slim.

I doubt he will ever be that 240+ unless he works out with Rodger Clemens.

Andy Sutton is 245 and an inch shorter. A 10lb gain for Tinordi every summer with world class trainers is not an impossible task, nor would it need HGH. Most hockey players put 10-15lbs on in the summer when they need to reach an ideal weight before their speed slows down.

To add 20 more pounds when you are already 220 on a 6'7'' frame is not very hard. Give him two more years and he will have to check his weight in the summer time.

Talking about young prospects, I read that Mark MacMillan had chosen to play one more year in the U.S. He is on the same team than Danny Kristo (University of North Dakota). As you all know, they have an excellent program (one of the best in the U.S., supposedly). MacMillan had an excellent season as a rookie (7 g. 16 a. in 42 games) and he is expected to play a bigger role next year.

I was thinking about team because I heard Alain Champenois on RDS talking about him. He said that it made no sense to pick a guy from BC weighting just 155 (on 6') rather than a French speaking one from Quebec. Well, I am French speaking and don't see the problem if the guy from BC turns out to be a good player. Who knows? he might weight 200 when he will be 22... and that's when he will be ready for the big leagues.

Let's be rational and patient.

Talking about young prospects, I read that Mark MacMillan had chosen to play one more year in the U.S. He is on the same team than Danny Kristo (University of North Dakota). As you all know, they have an excellent program (one of the best in the U.S., supposedly). MacMillan had an excellent season as a rookie (7 g. 16 a. in 42 games) and he is expected to play a bigger role next year.

I was thinking about team because I heard Alain Champenois on RDS talking about him. He said that it made no sense to pick a guy from BC weighting just 155 (on 6') rather than a French speaking one from Quebec. Well, I am French speaking and don't see the problem if the guy from BC turns out to be a good player. Who knows? he might weight 200 when he will be 22... and that's when he will be ready for the big leagues.

Let's be rational and patient.

Alain is not a paid scout is he, but he is entitled to his own (seemingly) uneducated opinion? Which french player did he say was a caparable to MacMilan and available at 113th 4th round 2010 whom Timmins missed? Just some fictious imaginary guy eh?

Only 3 QMJHL players were selected in 4th round 2010 and Habs drafted 1 of those (Morgan Ellis), i know he isnt from Quebec so dosent count in RDS way of thinking, but got to admit he was another fine 4th round pick?

MacMilan is now average sized forward, who just finished freshman year in NCAA and was 2nd line player who is a good skater, played on PK and PP and was much better towards end of year, so Timmins may have found another draft steal. He will play at least 2 more years in NCAA and possibly even 3?

MacMilan, like Tinordi is not heavily built, and about same bodytype as Pronger, who is 6'6" and listed as 220lb or so

Knights win

Edmonton to the tiebreaker Thursday.

If Shawinigan wins tomorrow, they go to final; Knights to semi

If Saint John wins, Knights to final, Sea Dogs to semis

The loser of tomorrow plays Oilkings on Thursday.