Habs at the Memorial Cup

dlbalr

Talking about young prospects, I read that Mark MacMillan had chosen to play one more year in the U.S. He is on the same team than Danny Kristo (University of North Dakota). As you all know, they have an excellent program (one of the best in the U.S., supposedly). MacMillan had an excellent season as a rookie (7 g. 16 a. in 42 games) and he is expected to play a bigger role next year.

I was thinking about team because I heard Alain Champenois on RDS talking about him. He said that it made no sense to pick a guy from BC weighting just 155 (on 6') rather than a French speaking one from Quebec. Well, I am French speaking and don't see the problem if the guy from BC turns out to be a good player. Who knows? he might weight 200 when he will be 22... and that's when he will be ready for the big leagues.

Let's be rational and patient.

Take Alain Chantelois.

Throw him under a bus. Tv will just get better.

Not sure about you guys but the least impressive to me has been Beaulieu. No denying the kid is an amazing skater, loves to carry the puck but his defensive game doesn't look very strong at all, and he plays almost selfish. Still think he'll put up good offensive numbers but I was hoping to see a bit more on the defensive side of the puck.

I agree with the selfish part. It seems like he's pressing in this tournament, trying to do too much right now. This isn't the way he's been all year.

Aside from one big giveaway (and he needs to curb that), I don't see much wrong with his defensive game though. He just needs to learn to pick his spots, and get rid of the tendency to have a bad plays, certainly can be taught at the AHL level.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the selfish part. It seems like he's pressing in this tournament, trying to do too much right now. This isn't the way he's been all year.

Aside from one big giveaway (and he needs to curb that), I don't see much wrong with his defensive game though. He just needs to learn to pick his spots, and get rid of the tendency to have a bad plays, certainly can be taught at the AHL level.

I see the same play as i did in world juniors and in several other games throughout the year.

But if i remember correctly, Subban played the exact same way in junior and would go end to end and turnover puck, a la Gomez, once in offensive zone.

But couple years later and Subban has bought in to team play and is the #1 d-man; while his dumb penalties/turnovers still happen, they are at a much lower rate.

Maybe Randy Ladouceur can be named Hamilton head coach and straighten Beaulieu out this season, as he did with subban?

These guys are young. Let's be patient. There's nothing in Beaulieu's game that good tutoring and maturity can't fix. Don't forget one thing: skating powerfully and effortlessly is a very rare skill; Beaulieu has it. He has got a strong shot as well. What's not to like?

These guys are young. Let's be patient. There's nothing in Beaulieu's game that good tutoring and maturity can't fix. Don't forget one thing: skating powerfully and effortlessly is a very rare skill; Beaulieu has it. He has got a strong shot as well. What's not to like?

Absolutely. I bet that both Beaulieu and Tinordi need the AHL time.

I thought he had a much stronger game last night at both ends of the rink. Still took a couple of stupid penalties for no reason but I was impressed with how he played last night. I find it so encouraging to see Beaulieu, Tinordi and Ellis in this tournament.

Ellis play seems to be similar to Gorges and Price will love having he, Pateryn and Tinordi in front of him in a couple years.

Does Bournival's play seem similar to Leblanc's? Not quite as skilled, but better skater, both seem to use wrist shot very well.

Ellis play seems to be similar to Gorges and Price will love having he, Pateryn and Tinordi in front of him in a couple years.

Does Bournival's play seem similar to Leblanc's? Not quite as skilled, but better skater, both seem to use wrist shot very well.

He is similar. Don't think he's as skilled with the puck on his stick, but similar games for sure.

I didn't like Bournival last night though, did like him in the first two games though.

I thought he had a much stronger game last night at both ends of the rink. Still took a couple of stupid penalties for no reason but I was impressed with how he played last night. I find it so encouraging to see Beaulieu, Tinordi and Ellis in this tournament.

Last night's game was filled with cheap shots. St John has the reputation for after-the-whistle cheap shots. Beaulieu is known for those. Even captains Huberdeau and Bournival were going at it.. not fighting but close.

Ellis seem ahead of Beaulieu to make the NHL. Great all-around Dman. Subban was criticized for his D game in junior. Beaulieu, however, doesn't have the offensive skillset of Subban. Will need to improve a lot.

Couple cheap shots, no big deal, refs should of tossed both cross checks to neck with major penalties, but seem to have no gumption to do. They are learning well from Bettman's NHL referee puppets.

Not sure who St.John is, you must mean St. John's Newfoundland or Saint John N.B.? (can ignore smart ass remark, but it was an Atlantic team who won)

I think Hurberdeau and Semin might be a good match and funny to see duke it out.

Ellis and Beaulieu both need AHL time, but how developed they will be come fall of 2013 is hard to guess. Ellis is looking like a very good 4th round pick for sure.

I think Subban and Beaulieu are very comparable and both will be All-Stars down the road.

i think every Habs d-prospect has a better shot than Subban. Who must scare the shit out of all Hab forwards standing anywhere near the net, seeing eye-high slap shots coming in from point.

But whichever way you cut it, the depth on defense is a bonus (but came at expense of depth up front); but, like they say, can never have too many good d-men and Price must be encouraged to see them coming.

With todays game, it is guaranteed that a Habs prospect will raise the Mem Cup on Sunday. Who will it be?

Tinordi. Him and the Knights have been the best team in the tourny!

I think Ellis and Tinordi have looked great in this tournament. Bournival has been pretty good too. Beaulieu has struggled especially in his coverage in his own end. Its only 4 games so I don'twant to read too much into this tournament.

Many people are comforting themselves with the fact that Subban had similar deficiencies in his game at Beaulieu's age. But Subban's progression was incredibly rapid and is very unusual (essentially unique). The chances that Beaulieu improves at the same rate are practically zero. I think Beaulieu will be a good player but his growth is more likely going to be at Weber's pace. I think it is pointless to compare the weaknesses in Beaulieu's game with those of a 19 year old P.K. Subban.

Many people are comforting themselves with the fact that Subban had similar deficiencies in his game at Beaulieu's age. But Subban's progression was incredibly rapid and is very unusual (essentially unique). The chances that Beaulieu improves at the same rate are practically zero. I think Beaulieu will be a good player but his growth is more likely going to be at Weber's pace. I think it is pointless to compare the weaknesses in Beaulieu's game with those of a 19 year old P.K. Subban.

I agree that people need to stop banking on Beaulieu being NHL calibre by 20 years old but I have no doubts he'll be a strong part of our NHL defence before the age of 23.