Latendresse?

hankhab

I went home last night and decided to add Latendresse to my 2012-13 squad of NHL12. You should know that I had already added PA Parenteau as well because I really think that he is going to be a target for MB.

With that said......if we can somehow get both Latendresse and Parenteau under contract then I think that we will be more than fine with our current list of diminutive centers.

Hypothetically: Pacioretty, Cole, Latendresse, Parenteau, Eller, Bourque are all top 9 forwards and all 6'2 or bigger.

Personally I think Bourque would be shopped around but for arguments sake let's just think of something like:

Parenteau-Plekanec-Gionta

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Bourque-Eller-Latendresse

I went home last night and decided to add Latendresse to my 2012-13 squad of NHL12. You should know that I had already added PA Parenteau as well because I really think that he is going to be a target for MB.

With that said......if we can somehow get both Latendresse and Parenteau under contract then I think that we will be more than fine with our current list of diminutive centers.

Hypothetically: Pacioretty, Cole, Latendresse, Parenteau, Eller, Bourque are all top 9 forwards and all 6'2 or bigger.

Personally I think Bourque would be shopped around but for arguments sake let's just think of something like:

Parenteau-Plekanec-Gionta

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Bourque-Eller-Latendresse

I dunno about NHL2012, but I agree that Pleks and Desharnais can be a legitimate 1-2 punch down the middle provided they are properly surrounded and effectively managed by the coach. It's not ideal but it is a viable Plan B.

That being said, Bergeron said something recently about wijnning through goaltending, defence, and strong centremen. This implies that he isn't terribly interested in Plan B and is working to land a big centreman.

I dunno about NHL2012, but I agree that Pleks and Desharnais can be a legitimate 1-2 punch down the middle provided they are properly surrounded and effectively managed by the coach. It's not ideal but it is a viable Plan B.

That being said, Bergeron said something recently about wijnning through goaltending, defence, and strong centremen. This implies that he isn't terribly interested in Plan B and is working to land a big centreman.

Bergeron or Bergevin? Because if it's Le Tigre then really who cares what he thinks. Personally I'd love to land a big center but if we can insulate them with big effective bodies then we'll be OK. We're obviously not the level of the wings but they won cups being small down the middle but big on the wing with a good D-core.......personally that's how I would build this team as well because to land a big center will mean giving up on quite a bit of prospects.

Bergeron or Bergevin? Because if it's Le Tigre then really who cares what he thinks. Personally I'd love to land a big center but if we can insulate them with big effective bodies then we'll be OK. We're obviously not the level of the wings but they won cups being small down the middle but big on the wing with a good D-core.......personally that's how I would build this team as well because to land a big center will mean giving up on quite a bit of prospects.

Ha ha, no, Bergevin. Sorry about that. I don't care what that Michel 'Mike Ribeiro will be better than Wayne Gretzky' Bergeron thinks.

And I agree with your point in this post. Pleks and DD have the heart and the skills to be effective. Finding big, strong, productive wingers for them is a totally valid way around their limitations.

Ha ha, no, Bergevin. Sorry about that. I don't care what that Michel 'Mike Ribeiro will be better than Wayne Gretzky' Bergeron thinks.

And I agree with your point in this post. Pleks and DD have the heart and the skills to be effective. Finding big, strong, productive wingers for them is a totally valid way around their limitations.

One thing for certian though....for the first time in a decade I actually have confidence in management. Hopefully Galchenyuk (assuming we draft him) becomes that element we need.

So while we're bringing Lats and TK back, how bout dumping Bourque and signing AK27. Lazy yes. Awesome yes.

if we could dump Bourque and sign AK27 to entry level deal then why not. We'd shed 2 years of Bourque's contract.

if we could dump Bourque and sign AK27 to entry level deal then why not. We'd shed 2 years of Bourque's contract.

1. Good luck dumping Bourque and not taking salary back.

2. The difference in Latendresse and Kovalev is that Latendresse was a young player (he's the same age as Price!) who made a few mistakes in his career as a young player, went to a different team, showed his promise and got hurt. Kovalev is a veteran player who ran out of steam in Montreal, had less in Ottawa, failed in his deadline trade to Pittsburgh and then did terrible in Russia. We're not talking signing Mike Knuble who just dealt with his first degraded season where he didn't score 20 goals in 10 seasons. We're talking about a veteran we assume with no time off is going to come into Montreal, remember the player he used to be and give us his one last great performance.

It's Alex Kovalev. If he doesn't fit on the top six, he doesn't fit on the team.

Are we seriously still talking about Kovalev?

The only Alex that should be on our roster is Galchenyuk. End of story.

I completely agree. Latendresse, I'm all for. Kovalev is washed up for sure.

No way you sign Lats.

What if i said there was a lazy, underachirving, slow, poor work ethic guy with concussion problems the habs should grab and he name was Thompson everyone would laugh.

No way you sign Lats.

What if i said there was a lazy, underachirving, slow, poor work ethic guy with concussion problems the habs should grab and he name was Thompson everyone would laugh.

He has publicly apologized and recognized his poor attitude in Montreal. Has been held back by injury the past couple years. Had 25 goals in 55 games. I do not know what is underachieving about a (on passe for) 37 goal year. The next season he got injured again but was on passe for a decent 44 pts Plus he is only 25.

Taking a risk on this guy as a 3rd liner is medium risk high reward. He'll play fine if he is healthy, its more about the health issue then the lazy issue. I say get him!

On pace for and actual numbers and healthy are 2 completely different things

Okay, so its pretty save to say he would have got 30 goals. 2nd rounder turned 30 goal scorer is pretty solid.

Guys, Kovalev is finished. Period.

Yep. We dodged a bullet when kovy turned down another of Gainey's horrible moves of dumping koivu and offering kovy a contract.

Sign Lats to a one year deal, its best for him and the club. If he sucks or is unable to play, he's gone next year. If he excels, he sets himself up for a nice contract the following year. Win win.

Gee i'm glad I don't have to make decisions like this. I loved Kovalev. I loved Gainey. I didn't love Lats, but do like people who publicly acknowledge their failures.. not that I'm big enough to do that myself mind you...

What an interesting year. :hyper:

The guy played 27 games in the two last years,

He had a major concussion last year and a major groin injury the year before.

At the weight is carrying the speed is not there and groin didn't help

Cannot expect him to play tough, he rarely did and with the concussion he will be careful.

Defensively he is not bad but not good enough for a third liner.

I'd pass, i would take Bernier instead, he prooved he can play tough, has better and than TK and plays more like a bottom six

what Montreal needs.

The guy played 27 games in the two last years,

He had a major concussion last year and a major groin injury the year before.

At the weight is carrying the speed is not there and groin didn't help

Cannot expect him to play tough, he rarely did and with the concussion he will be careful.

Defensively he is not bad but not good enough for a third liner.

I'd pass, i would take Bernier instead, he prooved he can play tough, has better and than TK and plays more like a bottom six

what Montreal needs.

Well, the point is that you'd be getting him at a cut rate because of all these very issues. Hence the low-cost, high-reward nature of the scenario. This is not the case for Bernier, who - despite his disastrous penalty in Game 5 - is probably at his highest value since he was a well-regarded youngster slavered over by Pierre MacGuire.

The Kovalev idea is more of an amusing, fan-friendly lark than a serious hockey scenario. Lats, though, has two possible ceilings, both of which should intrigue us: first, he has it within him to be a 25-goal power forward, as he proved in that one hot season in Minny. More realistically, he has it in him to be a tough-on-the-puck third liner who, with good linemates, can keep the puck in the offensive zone for most of a shift; this is what he consistently did for us under Carbo. Plus he knows Montreal, may be older and wiser, and may well be motivated. As long as he comes cheap, passes the physicals, and - crucially - as long as we are not in the position of counting on him to deliver, I think it's well worth taking a chance on him.

Well, the point is that you'd be getting him at a cut rate because of all these very issues. Hence the low-cost, high-reward nature of the scenario. This is not the case for Bernier, who - despite his disastrous penalty in Game 5 - is probably at his highest value since he was a well-regarded youngster slavered over by Pierre MacGuire.

The Kovalev idea is more of an amusing, fan-friendly lark than a serious hockey scenario. Lats, though, has two possible ceilings, both of which should intrigue us: first, he has it within him to be a 25-goal power forward, as he proved in that one hot season in Minny. More realistically, he has it in him to be a tough-on-the-puck third liner who, with good linemates, can keep the puck in the offensive zone for most of a shift; this is what he consistently did for us under Carbo. Plus he knows Montreal, may be older and wiser, and may well be motivated. As long as he comes cheap, passes the physicals, and - crucially - as long as we are not in the position of counting on him to deliver, I think it's well worth taking a chance on him.

Not a chance. Wouldnt touch Latendress with ten foot pole.

The Kovalev idea is more of an amusing, fan-friendly lark than a serious hockey scenario.

It's damned romantic is what it is. Maybe it was just seeing a complete lack of talent for too long, but watching Kovalev on his game with a Habs jersey on is just ingrained in me as something special.

Price is talented but boring... Pleks is safe... Markov is all about the little things...

If Subban had any kind of finish on his on to end rushes I might be satisfied, but until then I yearn for a little beauty on the ice.

I think he's worth the risk. Play him with Eller & Bourque and see if he finds his game again.

He'd also be good insurance if somebody gets hurt, provided it's not him of course :)

It's damned romantic is what it is. Maybe it was just seeing a complete lack of talent for too long, but watching Kovalev on his game with a Habs jersey on is just ingrained in me as something special.

Price is talented but boring... Pleks is safe... Markov is all about the little things...

If Subban had any kind of finish on his on to end rushes I might be satisfied, but until then I yearn for a little beauty on the ice.

Eggs actly. Kovalev was a maestro. I miss the magic.