2012 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Too bad for the Columbus fans, they deserve so much better.

Ohio deserves better. Fun state to goto but nobody is happy and the jobs are sparse.

I agree it resembles the Thornton trade which was moronic. That's a trade where it's confirmed that Mike O'Connell only spoke to the Sharks, no other teams because he didn't want the talk of trading Jumbo Joe to get leaked.

Ohio deserves better. Fun state to goto but nobody is happy and the jobs are sparse.

I agree it resembles the Thornton trade which was moronic. That's a trade where it's confirmed that Mike O'Connell only spoke to the Sharks, no other teams because he didn't want the talk of trading Jumbo Joe to get leaked.

yeah, that was straight out of the Pierre Gauthier's Big Book of Shitty NHL General Managing. Sheesh!

yeah, that was straight out of the Pierre Gauthier's Big Book of Shitty NHL General Managing. Sheesh!

Gainey/Gauthier had their bad moments but at least they left with a team still existing. We won't say the same when Scott Howson is done and we couldn't say the same after Larry Plau, Mike Milbury and Bob Pulford were done with their teams.

Milbury is seriously the worst and he's basically like the Hitler/Godwinn Rule. No GM is worse, don't ever compare.

Gainey/Gauthier had their bad moments but at least they left with a team still existing. We won't say the same when Scott Howson is done and we couldn't say the same after Larry Plau, Mike Milbury and Bob Pulford were done with their teams.

Milbury is seriously the worst and he's basically like the Hitler/Godwinn Rule. No GM is worse, don't ever compare.

Well, I'd include Houle in that list of all-time worsts. No question.

I differentiate Gainey from Gauthier. The former made mistakes - too many, in the end - but ran a class operation respected around the league. Gauthier also made too many mistakes AND turned us into a petty, bush-league outfit, widely disadined. But you're right that taken as a whole the Gainey-Gauthier era was in no way as disatrous as these other regimes. In fact, the case can be made that Gainey at least did a fine, if flawed, job. He did, after all, bring us from a bottom-feeding team to a perennial playoff club with one top-3 overall finish (2008) and a Semi-Final appearance (2010). I would never, ever include him on a list containing those abhorrent names, let alone Mad Mike Milbury's.

I'm perfectly happy living here.

Dubinsky had 54 points in 2010-2011 so it's not as though he cannot put up top six numbers.

And then he took a huge step back and was invisible offensively most of this season. It's one thing if there's steady progression, but he went the wrong way this year. Neither Dubs nor Dubinsky look like top line guys at this point in time, and that's just unacceptable. You've got to get a top line guy when you trade a 40 goal scorer. You've obviously got to downgrade when trading quality for quantity, but this seems to be taking things too far.

I am slightly puzzled that Howson didn't dig in his heels and frigging insist on more...it's not like he had to pull the trigger right now, is it? Why not keep waiting?

It's Scott Howson, why expect anything less than bad?

Nashville matches the Flyers' offer sheet for Weber. I guess the trade talks around the first rounders fell through then.

Anyone think he will end up being traded back to Philly?

Not for at least a year per CBA rules.

If I understand it right, you can't trade a player to the team who offered him an offer sheet for one full year ? Right ?

Would a 3-way trade could be accepted ?

Looks good on Weber. He is now stuck on a loser team with no money to build a better team. I look forward to a Nash situation with him in a year or two where he demands a trade.

Not really. Pretty sure Bergevin would match.

Yeah, but you can now screw the other team (like us) by forcing us into a bad contract (like Nashville). I would be trying to get the deal done while it is still in our control.

If I understand it right, you can't trade a player to the team who offered him an offer sheet for one full year ? Right ?

Would a 3-way trade could be accepted ?

You can't trade him ANYWHERE for one full year.

Do we need to worry about Philly going after PK.

If they go anything less than 4 firsts, we have the cap space and the dollars to match.

If they want to give up 4 first rounders, I'd take the picks to be honest.

But can't the player request it?

NO

Anyways Flyers have money to spend. What now?

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/07/24/predators-match-shea-weber-offer-sheet-flyers-fallout/

Yeah, but you can now screw the other team (like us) by forcing us into a bad contract (like Nashville). I would be trying to get the deal done while it is still in our control.

Philly was completely convinced that Nashville wouldn't match due to having to pay Weber $24M-26M in one calendar year.

Montreal can afford any match.

Where in the CBA ? Can't find it.

Section 10.3 (b) (this isn't the full copy/paste, got rid of some unnecessary wordiness)

If the Prior Club gives the Restricted Free Agent notice that it is exercising its Right of First Refusal (a "First Refusal Exercise Notice"), such notice to be substantially in the form of Exhibit 7 attached hereto, within the seven (7) day period, such Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club shall be deemed to have entered into a binding agreement, which they shall promptly formalize in a Player Contract, containing (i) all the Principal Terms (subject to subsection (e) below); and (ii) such additional terms as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club. The Prior Club may not trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it exercises its Right of First Refusal.

Section 10.3 (b) (this isn't the full copy/paste, got rid of some unnecessary wordiness)

If the Prior Club gives the Restricted Free Agent notice that it is exercising its Right of First Refusal (a "First Refusal Exercise Notice"), such notice to be substantially in the form of Exhibit 7 attached hereto, within the seven (7) day period, such Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club shall be deemed to have entered into a binding agreement, which they shall promptly formalize in a Player Contract, containing (i) all the Principal Terms (subject to subsection (e) below); and (ii) such additional terms as may be agreed upon between the Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club. The Prior Club may not trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it exercises its Right of First Refusal.

haha just got it searching "one year" instead of "offer sheet"... took me 1/100 of the time hahaha

I'm still curious if Shea Weber can ask the NHL to still trade him. It has never happened before so there's no precedent for it. If he really wants out of Nashville we'll find out.

If he wanted out of Nashville he shouldn't have signed anything, and asked for a trade, and told the Preds... I don't have a contract, I'm not playing for you anymore.

The moment he signed the offer, getting stuck in Nashville was always possible.

Lucic, Seguin, Caron and Marchand are all RFA next summer.

Haha Bruins.

I would expect many of them to get extensions during the season. As far as I know, none of them want out of Boston. Of course, much depends on the new CBA. If it curtails some of these long contracts, it might reduce the risk of offer sheets.

I would expect many of them to get extensions during the season. As far as I know, none of them want out of Boston. Of course, much depends on the new CBA. If it curtails some of these long contracts, it might reduce the risk of offer sheets.

Boston is pretty tight to the cap. Horton, Ference and Thomas are coming off of the cap but I don't believe that's really enough to get them all signed. I also forgot that Rask is an RFA as well.

So that's $11.25M coming off when Seguin will expect double salary, Lucic will get a raise, Rask will get a raise, Marchand will definitely want a raise and Caron will be a great offer sheet target. And that's all if the Bruins decide they are not going to try to retain or replace Horton.

I really hope Dave Nonis is running the Leafs next summer because he's the type that would totally offer sheet Tyler Seguin to something the Bruins couldn't afford. It would be hilarious.