2012 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Andrei Kostitsyn signed a 1 year deal with Chelyabinsk Traktor today.

Farewell.

Thank God he is over there, not that we are going to be playing anytime soon. I could just see him playing for the Leafs or the Bruins and coming back and killing us.

Doan re-signs in Phoenix, 4 years and $21.4 M including $2 M in deferred bonus money.

Milan Lucic signs a 3 year, $18 M extension with Boston. I find that one a little pricey but I suspect they had to pay a bit more per year to get him to sign a shorter-term deal which is a wise decision in my opinion.

The Lucic contract is fine. He is incredibly important to the Bruins, puts up 60 points and is their poster boy.

Yes poster boy that hits fights and works hard when it counts; even if his playoff numbers are sub par.

• 4 weeks later...

Completely random comment.

Was just looking at some stats, and while I know hitting stats are a bit skewed Stamkos's hitting numbers have jumped by 20 each season. Not sure what else plays into that, but all i've heard about him is that he is a pure sniper... has there been a visible change in his style of play? I mean 68 hits in '10 and 109 in '12 thats a bit jump.

It stands to reason that as Stamkos gets stronger physically (I'd imagine he wasn't as strong as he is now in 2010, his second season) and checking on him gets tighter that he has to play with more of an edge. That should account for an extra hit every 4 games (which is what 20 hits over an 82 game season roughly works out to).

Sportsnet is reporting that Luongo will be a Leaf...although the specifics of the trade won't be finalized until the new CBA is in place. I respect John Shannon but boy, that seems hard to believe (even if the notion of Luongo to Toronto is pretty realistic). http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/19/john_shannon_roberto_luongo_to_be_traded_to_toronto_maple_leafs/

John Shannon was the Producer of Hockey Night in Canada back when Hockey Night was the industry standard for how to produce a hockey broadcast (it started its downhill run after that). He left to basically be the guy to start up and run Leafs TV. Then he went to Sportsnet as an analyst.

The guy is pretty connected, and is not known as someone who has thrown out crazy rumors only to be proven false. In fact I cant even remember him having a rumor before this. So I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

The problem with such a rumour is that it could be completely legitimate but when the new CBA is reached, Gillis decides to trade Luongo to a different team and suddenly Shannon looks like a complete tool when he was right and plans just changed.

Putting your neck out there for such a rumour is risky.

• 1 month later...

This is something worth noting separate from the lockout thread. Ryan O'Reilly, one of the RFA's to remain unsigned before the lockout, has signed a two year deal in the KHL. There is reportedly a clause in the contract that says if an NHL team (likely Colorado) was to offer more money than he is receiving with Metallurg when the lockout ends, that they would allow him to leave. That then implies that it is far from a guarantee that O'Reilly will return to the NHL when games once again get underway (I would imagine Metallurg is giving him pretty good money to put that type of clause in there).

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/07/colorados-oreilly-signs-two-year-deal-with-khl-metallurg/

This is something worth noting separate from the lockout thread. Ryan O'Reilly, one of the RFA's to remain unsigned before the lockout, has signed a two year deal in the KHL. There is reportedly a clause in the contract that says if an NHL team (likely Colorado) was to offer more money than he is receiving with Metallurg when the lockout ends, that they would allow him to leave. That then implies that it is far from a guarantee that O'Reilly will return to the NHL when games once again get underway (I would imagine Metallurg is giving him pretty good money to put that type of clause in there).

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/07/colorados-oreilly-signs-two-year-deal-with-khl-metallurg/

Good for OReilly, more unsigned players (Subban) maybe should go that route.

Go the route of us possibly losing him? Uhhh?

And how would they lose him? you think he would choose to stay in Russia?, or that the Habs would relinquish their right to him as a RFA? Zero chance of either, and better for him to be playing competitive hockey and developing; than doing goofy TV crap and sitting on his ass till next fall?

And how would they lose him? you think he would choose to stay in Russia?, or that the Habs would relinquish their right to him as a RFA? Zero chance of either, and better for him to be playing competitive hockey and developing; than doing goofy TV crap and sitting on his ass till next fall?

Only place I'd want to see Subban play during the lockout is Hamilton. You're really not going to develop in Russia. It's a different game and the competition is weaker.

I doubt there's a single player who isn't playing that is suddenly going to have a step back that wouldn't have happened naturally.

That's the thing though, the O'Reilly deal doesn't have a typical out clause, there's a good chance he will stay in Russia unless Colorado really antes up (and that's not something they're known to do lately). The KHL is only permitted to sign (I believe) three "lockout" contracts, Subban would have to sign something similar to O'Reilly in order to do that as most teams would have filled those slots by now. I certainly don't want Subban signing a contract more or less sending him to the highest bidder between the KHL team and the Habs.